Kontakt Sample Libraries Memory: Loading is slow

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Elmer Rivas, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Elmer Rivas

Elmer Rivas New Member

Hi,

I have been using Kontakt for a while and have been enjoying the Libraries. However, I keep running into this problem where the Sample Libraries Load very slow. When I say Load, I mean the MB loading speed when loading a sample library. For example, I try loading The Grandeur. The Library appears quickly but the Memory: MB Loading is slow. Since it's slow when I try to play the Sample, I get pops and latency like crazy. I have to wait until the whole library loads completely so for The Grandeur until 1.26 GB load. I want to be able to play these Libraries live for gigs or when I am composing. It takes my computer about 10-20 minutes to load just this sample. Is this normal? Or is there a way to speed the MB Loading speed for Library Samples? Any help would be much appreciated.

My Computer Specs:

Macbook Pro Intel Core i5 16 GB Ram
    T3 Samsung External SSD

2. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

10-20 minutes is not normal, and I'm not sure why that would be. Is The Grandeur on the internal drive or on the external SSD? Try switching it to the other drive, just to help diagnose the problem. If it alleviates the problem, we now know there's something wrong with that particular drive.

How is the SSD external drive connected? USB? TB? If it's USB, which speed/flavor of USB is it? If it's USB2 that would not be ideal for streaming Kontakt samples.

3. Elmer Rivas

Elmer Rivas New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the response! I got the drive to load faster by changing a few settings. Now it's taking about 5-8 minutes to load libraries like Granduer. Is that normal? I tried two drives that I have T3 Samsung and T5 Samsung. Both drives are relatively the same at loading the libraries.

As for connection, the External Drives are connected via USB. Seeing my Specs I can see that it's USB 2.0. You said it's not ideal how come? Would it be better to use the Thunderbolt Connection? Is that possible?

Are there ways to increase loading speeds in 2017 MacBook Pro Laptops? I have a top of the line 2017 MacBook Pro Laptop but loading is slow and I have tried both the T3 and T5 and the internal SSD drives but all are relatively the same loading speed.

Thanks David Das!

4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Are those Samsungs formatted as exFAT?

5. Elmer Rivas

Elmer Rivas New Member

I don't think so. Are you supposed to have them formatted as exFAT? If yes, How would you do that?

6. EvilDragon

No, exFAT turns out to be very slow with Kontakt (hence my question).

7. Elmer Rivas

Elmer Rivas New Member

How do you determine if your drive has exFAT set up?

Any updates to what is causing my slow MB Loads of Kontakt Libraries?

8. EvilDragon

Run Disk Utility, it should tell you what's the format of the drive.

There are no other ideas I can think of. As David said, USB2.0 is not good enough for streaming samples. You should ideally use USB3.0 or TB, but even better would be using an internal drive (only if it's an SSD, though).

9. Elmer Rivas

Elmer Rivas New Member

How could I use a USB 3.0 or TB with my Early 2011 MacBook? I have been trying to investigate. No luck.

10. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

I don't believe there are any ways to add it to that model.

11. Elmer Rivas

Elmer Rivas New Member

Thanks for the update! I appreciate the information and I will have to live with the slowness.