1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Kontrol and Maschine stuck "Updating Factory Sample Tags"

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by twist1ne, Mar 13, 2019.

1. twist1ne

twist1ne New Member

I posted this in the support forum as well, not sure if it's still pending approval but I'd like to see if anyone else has seen this issue since upgrading to Maschine 2.8.1 and Komplete Kontrol 2.1.1.

Not sure if this is a Komplete or Maschine issue since BOTH FAIL THE SAME WAY.

I've had Maschine installed on one of my Windows 7 laptops for over a year with no problems, including regular updates, up to at least 2.7.10. I'm not sure if I went to 2.8.0. since it was released just before 2.8.1.

Anyway, I bought a Komplete Kontrol M32 last week and installed the Komplete Kontrol 2.1.1 and Maschine 2.8.1 software. I also installed more of my Komplete 11 instruments, using Native Access (no issues there).

However, when I open Komplete Kontrol it starts scanning my instruments and effects, etc., but when it gets to "Updating Factory Sample Tags", it starts to show a little bit of progress but never keeps going. I let it sit there overnight thinking it was just a lot of tags since I have about 80% of Komplete 11 installed on this laptop. It doesn't crash, it just never finishes. I had to restart the computer to close it.

I tried to start Maschine and it does the exact same thing. I let it sit on "Updating Factory Sample Tags" for 12 hours and it never moved. This is a 6th Gen Core i5/8GB/SSD...it's not the laptop. I used control panel to uninstall Kontrol and Maschine, resintalled, got the same issue. Found an old article that mentioned deleting a komplete.db file from the local Native Instruments appdata folder. Basically, I deleted that folder, uninstalled Kontrol/Maschine again, but I get the exact same problem. Everything scans fine, all of the instruments, the Factory Effects Tags, the Factory Instrument Tags, etc.....everything except factory sample tags.

So...my Maschine/Komplete 11/Komplete Kontrol M32 set-up is now useless.

Can anyone please advise? Can I just revert back to 2.8.0 or even 2.7.10 (and obviously ditch the M32) if I can't get past this sample tag bs?

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I had the same problem with 2.8, I force quit Maschine and tried again repeatedly, also had to authorize inside Native Access a few times until it eventually worked.

3. motionscreen

motionscreen NI Product Owner

I skipped the 2.8 upgrade as I´m not gonna use Sounds.com anyway, so I can´t compare.
    But I always have a 5 to 10 minutes break when Maschine or Komplete Kontrol are scanning for new NKS presets. The progress bar is starting and after a while it stops for a couple of minutes. The difference is of course that it completes the scan after that....

4. twist1ne

twist1ne New Member

Thanks for the replies. Support has opened a ticket so hopefully I hear back from them shortly.

In the mean time, I'm uninstalling komplete 11 a couple of programs at a time until nothing except Maschine and Kontrol are installed.

Short of formatting the hard drive (not an option), I dont mind deleting all traces of previous NI installs and starting over. Anyone know the best way to do a fresh install without formatting the drive?

5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

This is a bit different, it's not just a scan, it converts everything to the new NKS 1.5 format, there's a new authorization system, etc...

6. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

How much space do you have left on your C drive?
    Everything went well for me. 129GB free on the C drive.
    The scan lasted 15 minutes, and I have 12 ultimate and some extra expansions.
    OS is Win 10 pro and Maschine 2.8.1.

René

7. twist1ne

twist1ne New Member

Great question about the hard drive space, René, as that was an issue on this laptop. I was down to only 20GB left (of 256GB) when I started this journey and had to delete a bunch of old files first to load more of the Komplete 11 instruments without getting an error in Native Access.

However, since I've uninstalled a ton of stuff I now have about 50GB free. Still uninstalling stuff now to get down to ONLY Maschine (and factory library) and Kontrol installed. And then I'll try again.

8. twist1ne

twist1ne New Member

Deleting all of the Native Instruments folders in regedit allowed maschine and a few Komplete VSTs to install and scan/open properly. Kontrol got stuck scanning tags again but I reinstalled it directly from the zipped installer and it's working again as well.

Thanks for your time.

9. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I have the base library, every expansion, komplete ultimate, jestermcgee's spectrasonics stuff.. updating tags only took a couple minutes and had no issues. I went from 2.7.10 to 2.8.1, if that matters, didn't have 2.8.