1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Kontrol-dj

Discussion in 'DJ Studio 1.0 - 2.6 / DJ Player / DJ Mixer' started by Dj_William, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acolyte57

Acolyte57 Forum Member

Well, I suppose the built-in soundcard is for those of us without a soundcard.... like my new laptop, which is sadly burdened by just 2 channel output. I need 4 :)

It should function like a true MIDI controller, but I guess the components would be the usual Behringer stuff... whereas the Kontrol is built from wellknown quality components if you read the salesblurb.

Still, that price difference does make a world of difference - putting down a good 450 euro or less than 200... I am a cheap-ass college student :)

2. pixeltrance

pixeltrance Forum Member

I have been in contact with the manufacturer of this unit and here's a little bit more info that he sent to me:

> How is the compatibility of this unit and Mac OSX? My
    > set up consists of an iBook running the latest version
    > of OSX and Native Instruments Traktor 2.5.3.

We have played with the Kontrol DJ and a iBook trought a m-audio souncard (raw midi input) and we obtain good results. There are drivers avaliable for OSX and we are currently working in the software for mac (usbtomidi converter and midi mapper) so that when the unit will be release it'll be fully compatible. The usb protocol is open source and there is a free and open software development kit (sdk) for the programmers who want to use it. The usb protocol have some adventages over a midi protocol.

> How is this unit to use together with Traktor?

I'm using traktor dj studio (2.53) with the kontrol dj controller every weekend so that I have some experience with it. A few time ago somebody asked to me about the up and down points of using the Kontrol dj controller with Traktor.

up points:

+ you don't need to use the keyboard or mouse, all the functions in traktor can be assigned to the kontrol dj. For example you can select a track in the playlist with the "infinitely variable" push encoder and load this track in the player desh pressing the same encoder.

+ The jogs works in two modes: If the lever is off then the jog dial is used for pitch bending (like a cd player). When the lever is on then the jog dial is used for scratch (like a turntable), in this mode the scratch begins when you turn the jog and stop when you release the jog so that you don't need to press one additional button to do scratching.
    Furthermore if you hold down the shift button while turn the jog (indepentdently of the pitch bend or scratch mode) you can seek a position in the song quickly.

+ You can control 92 functions at the same time from the controller ( play pause, cue, synch, reverse, eq. low, eq. mid, filters, crossfader, etc.......)

down points:

- The picth in traktor only accepts 127 steps (traktor only work at this moment with midi) and the pitch range in traktor is fixed to +/- 35% so that if you move the pitch slider in the controller then traktor change the pitch in 0.6% steps (i.e: 0.0% - 0.6% - 1.2% - 1.8%.......). I think you understand me. I assigned two buttons in the controller to change the pitch in 0.1% steps. I hope native instruments fix this in the future version or use the free sdk of the controler.

> Latency?

There are a lot of factors in the real time/latency equation. The only thing that I can say is that the kontrol dj controller sends more than 200 control messages by second, and for me I.M.H.O. it works in realtime. The latency that I have when I press a button in kontrol dj or move a slider and the sound is output by the soundcard is the same latency of the audio drivers within midi control. I will try to measure the average latency with an oscilloscopy soon and I comment with you the results.

> Size and weight?

400 mm. (W) x 170 mm. (D) x 45 mm. (H) and aprox. 2.5 Kg (Metal case)

If you have more questions then send to me another email ;-).

Regards.

Luis Serrano.

3. pulsewidth_Tf

pulsewidth_Tf Forum Member

edit: i need to read more carefully. :D

4. Acolyte57

Acolyte57 Forum Member

I really wish they could sell this unit for a few hundred less :( I love the buttons and the jogwheels...

5. pulsewidth_Tf

if it's really a professional bit of kit then it's worth the cost. the problem is there is no real review of the unit available.

there is also the problem that traktor's MIDI configuration is not very friendly to jogwheels. i've had the numark dmc-1 for long time and have given up trying to get the jogwheel mapping smooth, much less to get acceleration to work how it should. is there any reason to think that the kontrol-dj will be better?

hmm, i should email LSD about that...

6. Xspringe_Tf

Xspringe_Tf Forum Member

As far as I know, this product also supports OSC, or Open Sound Control. This is like a next generation MIDI protocol.

The cool thing is that it's far more precise then MIDI. If you hook this product up to software that supports OSC you can get up to 10 bits precision (1024 steps). This translates into a resolution of 0.02% at a pitchrange of +/-10%: better then the pioneer DJ! For traktor this would solve the pitch control problem we currently have because there's only 127 steps in MIDI.

In other words, If NI starts supporting OSC completely, this would be the *ultimate* controller and far superior to anything out there. Once OSC support is present in Traktor I'm confident we'll also see all kinds of new great controllers because the enhanced precision will finally allow for professional DJing with Taktor Studio.

What do you guys think?

7. rocdollar

rocdollar NI Product Owner

Sounds good - do you know if the imminent release of Traktor 2.6 will support OSC?

I can't wait for this controller to be launched! Hopefully within the next month, fingers crossed.

8. pulsewidth_Tf

Traktor has supported network-based OSC since version 2.5, for synchronizing Traktor with other programs like Reaktor. But I don't think it can be used for controllers, with the exception of turntables & the FS scratch amp. I'm not sure if Native has plans to support OSC for other controllers in 2.6 or 3.0.

9. jmugu

jmugu Forum Member

I'm testing mine right now and I can tell you that for the moment I like it very very much!

10. rocdollar

jmugu - how come you've already got one? Are they available to buy now then? :eek:

If so, can you give us some more info please like how much it cost and what your tests have shown so far?

Thanks!! Can't wait to get my hands on this kit..:p

11. jmugu

jmugu Forum Member

Hi RocDollar,

They have units ready for shipment but they are finishing the printing of the manuals and the software for Mac. As you, I was looking foward to try it so they sent me one and they will send me the manuals and the Mac software when they will finish.

I connect it to my Powerbook using the MIDI port of my audio card and I'm using the .TKS file they are using with another Powerbook. Very low latency, I can't notice it.

I have coneccted to my desktop PC using the USB port and the software they develop named Konverter. This programs converts and transmits the data from the USB port to the virtual midi port. I installed the virtual MIdi cable and loaded the .TKS file and it works with traktor right out the box. I can tell that the infinitive rotatory push encoder is sweet for borwnsing the playlist and loading tracks. This is not available for Mac until the finish the Konverter software for Mac (soon they told me...)

The controller feels like a very robust piece of kit.. Nice buttons and long faders. I have to test it more (just got it) but my first impressions are very good :thumb:

Sorry about my english

Cheers

12. Xspringe_Tf

Xspringe_Tf Forum Member

I have no idea to be honest. But until traktor supports a protocol that's better then MIDI it will be impossible to make a professional quality controller work with it.

In my opinion it's also strongly holding back the adoption of Traktor by a larger public, because without a proper hardware interface most people would never consider using Traktor. I'd go as far as saying that with a professional level hardware interface Traktor would be a very strong competitor of the Turntable and CDJ, instead of the small niche Traktor currently occupies.

13. Tuur

Tuur Forum Member

Couldn't agree more.

Although I can't understand the problem with midi. A lot of pro-gear is working fine on good old midi.

Midi has a lot of room in it's specs to work with higher precision (hit the link to see what I mean).

14. Xspringe_Tf

Xspringe_Tf Forum Member

It's difficult to say what would be the most efficient method of solving this problem. I'm sure there are some possible hacks that just improve precision and don't require support for an entire new protocol. I just don't know whether it is the best way to solve this problem, but it might be a feasable solution.

Regardless of that, I think we all agree that *something* needs to be done. Because the way things currently are Traktor is being held back a great deal by something which seems relatively trivial to solve. This is not just some sort-of-useful but very cool feature, this is something that has been affecting and continues to affect Traktor's core functionality, the fundamental usability and all of us for far too long.

We, being NI's loyal user base, just need to make them understand that if they really want Traktor to flourish they need provide a solution to this problem.

15. MeHungSolo_Tf

MeHungSolo_Tf New Member

I'm getting mine in a few weeks!

hello All,

They're shipping mine in a few days, hopefully I'll be receiving it in two weeks time.

I'll let you all know what I think.

16. jmugu

jmugu Forum Member

The software for Mac is done so now I'm using it to its full potential. The push encoders and the jogs work great. It's posible to adjust the sensibility of the jogs. It's a huge difference doing pitch bend with the jogs than with the mouse. My Traktor set up now is in a much higher level. This controller is great! :bow:

17. pulsewidth_Tf

Anyone know if the unit is rackmountable?

18. jmugu

jmugu Forum Member

Yes it comes with a rack mount kit 19'' I think

19. rocdollar

Can anyone comment on the sensitivity of the jog wheels in the latest version of Traktor? If OSC isn't supported still, have they made the MIDI implementation higher precision to take advantage of a controller like this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.