1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE
NOTICE:

Our Traktor Pro Public Beta is available again in our new online community. Join us if you want to try new features.

MORE INFO

Kontrol S4 mk3 no longer plays external input after Win10 update v1909

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S3 / KONTROL S4' started by trehug, Jan 18, 2020.

1. trehug

trehug New Member

External (live input) works when disconnected from computer - does not work once connected - this started after Jan-2020 Win10 update to version 1909

Any others experiencing the same issue, or have any solution ideas?

Thanks!

2. Cheef Roberts

Cheef Roberts NI Product Owner

To use the S4 MK3 standalone you have to disconnect it from your laptop. This is nothing to do with a Windows update as this has always been the case.

Also I recommend not updating Windows and keeping your laptop offline as this will help with audio. It is best to use another drive or partition for online and offline Traktor use as Windows and Apple updates sometimes conflict with Traktor.

3. trehug

trehug New Member

Thanks for your reply, but to clarify: the s4 mk3 can be used in a hybrid mode in which channels A and B are used as live input (turntables) while channels C & D are track decks, all while connected to the PC. This has been my setup for months but just stopped working.

If I put it into standalone mode (not connected to my PC) then the live input channels work fine, but of course, no track decks.. When I connect it to my PC and run TP3, the live channels have stopped working as of the latest Win update.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having multiple PC's, dedicated for certain things, I use my machine for multiple things and need to keep it updated.

I just wonder if anyone else noticed this issue or maybe I should go about re-installing my drivers/software or something

Thanks again

4. Cheef Roberts

Ah right sorry. Yes when connected to laptop with Traktor running you should be able to press the ext button for external line input and shift + ext to get phono for your turntables. I have to press ext + shift to turn phono on and then press ext on its own to make it external input. Maybe make sure you are doing that.

I would suggest you create a new partition on your ssd or hdd just for windows 10 and use it just for traktor. This will eliminate any problems in the future. I only put my traktor partition online to update said program.

5. trehug

trehug New Member

Thanks again for the reply, the separate partition idea is interesting for sure, thanks.

I installed the Traktor Kontrol ASIO drivers, rebooted, then disabled the unwanted wmd controls and now it's working, although I can't access the Traktor sound controls from my system control panels anymore, so it's messed up - but at least it's working.

I'll uninstall and reinstall everything and see how that goes.

6. dahJah

dahJah NI Product Owner

Yes this has always been the case. You can start off having everything hooked up and the controller as stand alone mixer, but once you start traktor and try to go back to stand alone again, it won't stand alone at all.

7. trehug

trehug New Member

Thanks for your interest but you are incorrect or have misinterpreted things

8. OscarD

OscarD NI Product Owner

Since the last firmware update, you have to press and HOLD the EXT button when in online mode in order to switch to an external source. This was added to prevent accidentally switching to an external input when a deck is playing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cheef Roberts

True. You now can't switch to an external source while a deck is playing on that channel by pressing the EXT button. You have to stop the deck in the software first. I've not tried holding the EXT button down.

10. System72

System72 New Member

Hi trehug, did you ever find a solution to this? Not sure if I am having the same issue. S4 MK3 standalone mode works fine (not connected) but when I try to use live or scratch deck, I get absolutely nothing and all the input routings are disabled and the phono/line input channel says "not supported" in the preferences. I have uninstalled, re-installed, disabled and enabled anything that could be relevant (I am quite handy with computers so do know what I'm doing... apparently). I installed TP3 onto another laptop and boom, everything is working perfectly. I even tried exporting the audio device settings from that laptop to my main one but nothing again.

Both laptops are running Windows 10 1909.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

11. MaikR

MaikR New Member

Same thing happens here… external devices (turntable and maschine+ or cd player) do work on channels A (phono) and B (line) when the S4 MK3 is in standalone mode. The main output is less loud and the phono pre-amp generates some noise when there’s no input, but it works as expected.

When connecting to my Macbook Pro with the latest versions of macOS and Traktor Pro, there’s no signal coming in from the external devices. I’ve checked all settings, reset the controller settings, tried to HOLD the EXT button as suggested… nothing.

Did you solved your problem trehug ?

12. MaikR

MaikR New Member