1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Kontrol Z2 vs. Pioneer T1

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z2' started by sndrsklr, Dec 3, 2012.

1. sndrsklr

sndrsklr NI Product Owner

I´m thinking of replacing my Pioneer T1 with a Z2 and I would like to know if someone here had a chance to test both and write a few words about the advatages/disadvantages of both mixers.
    My main reason for switching would be the crossfader because scratching is my main focus besides digital DJing. Are there any scratch nerds around here who can give me some feedback on the crossfader? I never tested an Innofader (I own a Rodec Scratchbox as an analog mixer so there´s no need for a crossfader replacement)... The Pioneer Fader is ok, but could be better though.

Another question is if you can run a Serato/Mixvibes/etc. system alongside the Traktor setup? When you hook up a Serato Box to the Pioneer and connect the mixer via USB to the laptop, switching between both programms was no problem at all (Phono Input is for analog Vinyl, Line is for Serato, USB for Traktor)... I assume that this is also possible with the Z2 but maybe someone can varify this? I only use Traktor, but when Djing with others who use a different programm this is a very handy option.

The only thing I like better about the Pioneer is the FX section... Controlling up to 6 FX at the same time is definitely more fun than just 2.

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

2. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

have you updated the firmware. the djm-t1 operates just like the z2 now

3. sndrsklr

thanks for the info, i´ll give it a try... nevertheless my main reasons remains, i´m not really satisfied with the crossfader on the pioneer (not to mention the linefaders, but seems like the z2 also has no linefader curve adjustments). also the cue buttons look way better on the z2.

4. PiYo

PiYo Forum Member

I and few others are having calibration issue after the update. "Unknown medium Calib failed. Low Input."

5. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

low input with the pioneer or z2?

6. SubPirate

SubPirate New Member

well i personally have both of these units sitting infront of me i just purchased the Z2 today and am borrowing a friends T1 ...ive had many hours live performance on the T1 and its awesome.. the Z2 pulling out of the package.. immediately had problems with the channels bleeding through with a regular audio signal and the internal mixing deal... so i did the calibration. that fixed the midi mixer bleed but regular audio is still bleeding bad.. and as far as sound quality. the Z2 pales in comparison to the T1 .. im pretty sure the T1 has a real mixer inside the case as the Z2 is all software based mixing... what i do like about the Z2 is the flux feature super cool.. id like to figure out how to get the T1 to do this. and then the filters on the channel. if anyone at NI would like to help me with this situation tonight.. i would greatly appreciate it otherwise im going to take this piece back to the store and just get the T1 for myself

7. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

download the newest firmware for the t1 and the newest tsi file from pioneer and you will have flux mode and post fader effects on the T!

8. C.Best

C.Best New Member

I rather enjoy my T1 however I have noticed the built in sound card is not nearly as good as the audio 10.(not sure if the z2 is the same) the quality of sound is not quite as good and i notice that the t1 can have tracking errors and skip when scratching however the fader on it is amazing. but now i hav a problem when i connect my tech 12's to the audio 10 in and then send it out to my T1 none of the eq or faders work but its midi to the program still works (fx browse etc).... does anyone know what this problem is? ive played with myaudio in/output setttings and the cords etc but to no avail...

9. richie36

richie36 New Member

It feels like an innofader:)......I would go for the t1...... , they have a lot more building experience and the z2 looks cheap with the plastic. And a fader allways can be replaced after a while..... If i hear subpirate speaking, i think the t1 will be the better choice. And for real scratching you need other brands.........
    gr.richard

10. sndrsklr

i use other brands for scratching but plugging and unplugging the interface and all the cables really gets annoying after a while, thats why i got the t1 in the first place... especially the possibility to run a different dvs at the same time without chanhing anything but a simple switch makes this the best solution so far. like i said the crossfader on the t1 is fine, but the fader on the rodec scratchbox is on a different level so it´s kind of a downgrade for me when it comes to the crossfader... maybe there will be an innofader for the t1 in the near future, until then the t1 will definitely do the job. it´s really a solid piece of equipment and the crossfader issue is just a subjective thing...

i updated the firmware yesterday and it works fine, flux mode is easy accessible und fun to use... just the triple tap on the shift button plus holding it makes the cue buttons 5-8 and the adjustments for the remix/sample decks a bit circuitous. but with the masch r app and full control of the remix decks with maschine that´s something i can live with.
    i also noticed some tracking/skipping problems but only with technics turntables. when i switched to a numark ttx turntable i had no problems at all... also ortofon needles seem to work better for me than shure needles.

11. PiYo

PiYo Forum Member

@Kraal, it's says Unkwon Medium low input with the pioneer. And as mentioned by the other mate, it seems to get worse as time goes. All is fine with A8. Flux mode works fine for me.

12. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

have you used the pioneer setup utility to set the inputs?

13. fu3l3r

fu3l3r New Member

hey guys i dont know if this is the right thread to post in. i updated the firmware on my mixer and the traktor tsi. file and the problem im having is that when i crossfade all the way to channel 1 or 2 the internal mixer on traktor does not go all the way over even thought on the t1 the fader is all the way its the same for channel 1 and 2. how can i calibrate the crossfader or have traktor learn the possition of the fader?

14. blackavenger

blackavenger Forum Member

Could you explain what you mean by this?

15. fu3l3r

fu3l3r New Member

Just so u guys know an innovated fits in the djm-t1

16. sndrsklr

@blackavenger: like i wrote in my first post, you just have to hook up for example a serato box like you would on every other mixer and hook up your traktor system via usb. then you can play analog vinyl through the vinyl input, the line input is for serato and usb is for traktor. i don't know if it works with only one computer but for 2 dj's with 2 computers it works very well. only thing is you'll see the timecode indicator going double speed on serato while playing tracks with traktor timecode, although it's not used... same vice versa, just half time. looks funny but is no problem at all (you maybe have to uncheck "load tracks into stopped decks only"). this also works when you hook up a traktor soundcard on a rane 57.
    ---
    is this a question or a statement?

17. fella

fella NI Product Owner

18. blackavenger

blackavenger Forum Member

So you are saying that if you have the ScratchLLIVE Soundcard connected via Line Inputs, TT's connected via the T1's Phono Inputs, all you have to do it switch the Line/Phono switch to toggle between the two? In other words, just having the ScratchLIVE Soundcard connected via the Line Input is good enough to act as the dongle....the TT's don't have to be connected to the ScratchLIVE Soundcard as well? Or would you still need to plug the RCAs to the Phono Inputs on the SL1/2/3/4 in order to make the switch?

I hope my question makes sense to you.

19. jam-bar

jam-bar New Member

When you say innovated is that the same as the innofader or a different product? Sorry just a little confused.

20. sndrsklr

if you want to control serato with timecode vinyl, you´d have to connect the rca´s to the serato soundcard. otherwise i assume just connecting the line outputs of the serato box should be enough but i´m not familiar with the serato system... in both cases you can just switch between the two with the line/phono switch.