Kore 2.1.4 installer freezes

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by metal_vib, Dec 17, 2011.

1. metal_vib

metal_vib NI Product Owner

I've been trying to install the new 2.1.4 update for Kore, but regardless of what I try to do (run it as administrator, in different compatibility modes, with or without the Kore controller plugged in, all drivers shut down) I just cant get past the Custom Setup screen. After I press the "Next" button, the installer freezes (no response). I've had it sitting there for an hour without it getting any further. I've also tried re-downloading the installer file from the service center twice, making sure the file was downloaded correctly and all - but no success..

I've submitted a support request but I'd like to know if anyone else have had this problem, and if you do, if you managed to get past it?

Best,
    - Torben

2. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

Not on Mac. 2.1.4 crashed while scanning but that is solved.

3. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

There is a way to do this manually, but it is very difficult.

If you click on the installer, it will be unzipped and the contents copied to the TEMP folder.

The folder contents will contain all the extracted files. You could manually search the folder and copy the Kore.exe and Kore.dll VST files. There are 2 Kore.exe (32-bit and 64-bit), three VSTs for 32-bit and 3 VSTs for 64-bit. That's a total of 8 essential files.

There are several PDF documentation files. The rest of the files are the original KSDs that are unchanged, a copy of Service center, drivers. etc. They can be ignored.

Oh, then there are the 32-bit and 64-bit integrated engines, but you could bypass these with the new switch if you don't want to copy them.

4. metal_vib

Thanks Arachnaut for the workaround. However, I cant find the described files in the temp directory (even did a complete hd-search). Maybe Vista handles this differently...

I wonder though if anyone could tell me if they just installed the 2.1.4 update on top of the excisting version or if you unstalled the previous version before running the 2.1.4 installer? I'd be worried to loose my database if I have to uninstall...

Still waiting for support to respond to my support request...

5. nielsdolieslager

you don't need to uninstall. but always backup your userdatabase: Koredb and user.kad.

6. metal_vib

Thanks. Didn't think an uninstall would be needed, but you never know with these things :)

7. Purusha

Purusha NI Product Owner

Yep. The same problem here too.

What paths do people have set up for the 3 sample banks? I wonder if that's related.

I don't have acoustic reflections installed, but had to set up a dummy path otherwise installer complained. Now it just freezes.

8. metal_vib

I never had a problem with any of the installers for the Kore Soundpacks I have. I havent changed the default paths either, so I doubt that's why you're experiencing the problem.

Still no response from support.

9. vestapol

vestapol New Member

Same problem here - hangs at install, despite re download. Anyone get NI help on this?

TIA
    V

10. vestapol

vestapol New Member

Figured it out. Kore 2 install defaulted to program files not program files x86. After un/reinstall the update no longer hung.

11. quietman

quietman NI Product Owner

ive just posted the same problem...

having to do a new install on a new pc... did you get a resolution?

12. Guitardude43

Guitardude43 NI Product Owner

Tried un/reinstall several times but received no joy.... Using Windows7 Ultimate 64bit.

Any other options?

13. thehipcola

thehipcola NI Product Owner

Also having issues with 2.1.4 install hanging in the same spot - so I'm going to try this out - thanks Arachnaut! I've located all the temp files etc.. only thing I can't see for certain is which .exe and dlls are 64 bit and which are 32 - but I guess if I choose wrong nothing will work and I'll try it the other way around. (32 bit laptop).

I'll post back with any findings/results in case other folks are having the same probs I am.

Cheers,

Rob

14. thehipcola

Awesome! Thanks again Arachnaut - great tips there.

Couple of things that might help others - to find the "temp" directory you have to actually start the installation of the update file - but only let it start. Once it's gotten to the first screen requiring input from you - just leave it. At that point you'll be able to search your HD for instances of Kore2.exe and you'll find the temp directory and all the things you need.

Not sure of exactly how much I needed - but I went through the entire temp directory structure and pulled out all of the exe and dll files, a directory related to rex support and helper functions, and all of the internal engines. I was easily able to search and swap the files.

One confusing thing for me was the fact that there were two folders containing engines and two folders with dll's, two for exe files... and then again another set for 64 bit. I pointed my Maschine plugin directory to various dll directories to find the one containing 32 bit plugs, confirmed they instantiated properly and then used those to swap. Same with exe files.

Great learning experience here - I had no idea you could do this kind of "tinkering" outside of the installer - had assumed registry entries and things need to happen. But everything seems to be work as of right now.

Thanks again!

Rob

15. arachnaut

There are ways to look at the file properties to determine the machine architecture (It's actually in the COFF header).

But the simplest is this - the 64-bit dll's are larger than the same-named 32-bit dlls.
    ---
    Yes, after the installer starts, it must first decompress the packed installer file. It will delete the temp files at the end.

I think the reason there are two sections in the installer is that there is one set with only 32-bit files, and the 64-bit section includes copies of the 32-bit files because you sometimes need them on a 64-bit system.

If you want to explorer Windows installers you can search for and download a Microsoft program called ORCA. It will display all the tables and setting inside the installation package.

I think most people use software wizard tools to make the installer.

16. nielsdolieslager

Is there anyone who installed the 2.14 update without that workaround on Windows? o_O

17. arachnaut

I had no problems installing 2.1.4 on Windows 7 (64-bit) or Windows XP 32-bit.

18. thehipcola

Ironically enough - my main studio DAW - Win7 64 bit - full installation, no problems at all. Just my laptop gave me this grief. Although it happened to me with the 2.1.2 update as well (laptop again).

19. nielsdolieslager

Ah, so it works most of the time, good.

20. gyoung

gyoung NI Product Owner

I recently upgraded hardware and moved all my licenses to the new machine (Win 7 64-bit), had no problems reinstalling Kore, it runs solid. Relief!