Kore 2 Reaktor Toolpack

Discussion in 'KORE' started by sleen, Nov 9, 2007.

1. jbone1313

jbone1313 NI Product Owner

I'm having another issue as well. When I'm using the Scale effect and I hit a note, the note just stays on. It seems like it doesn't get the note off message.

I've attached a .zip file with the offending KSD.

If anyone feels like checking this out, I'd be most grateful. I'd love to know if there's something I'm doing wrong, or if there are some bugs or whatever.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jbone1313

It seems that the following steps solve this problem:

1. Load the offending KSD.
    2. Save the live set.
    3. Restart Live.
    4. Open the live set.

3. sleen

sleen NI Product Owner

learn version?

Hey Jbone, aren't you using Kore2Midi for midi learning to zebra? If so, I would recommend using Kore2MidiX8learn. There might be more controls there than you need, but at least all the cc are unique from 1-128. Otherwise make sure that the version you use are all unique numbers.

If you modify any settings in reaktor with the sends or to change the numbers in the midi out macros, make sure you save a new reaktor ens, then reload it there so kore has an updated name and path. Then, follow with a save to a new ksd.

However from earlier messages where you are just midi learning and controlling, I believe the only saves necessary are within the target plugin like Zebra. And then of course, a save for the performance, and in live for the config.

The toolpack so far has been made with Kore 2.0.2 and reaktor 5.12 so things will work for reaktor standalone users.

Some awareness of controller use for midi remote commands in Live may help avoid a conflict there as well.

Hope this helps and let us know how things proceed!

Best,

jonathan adams leonard
    ---
    Hey Jbone, sorry I sent the last response after your last 2...I previewed but forgot to hit send. Will read the rest...
    ---
    Hi Jbone, not really sure what is wrong with scale. I looked at your test.zip and it didn't look like the internal kore midi routing was coming across, or is setup correctly**. For starters try putting the scale ens in the slot above the Pro53 and see if that works. If not, double check in kore standalone to make sure that works as well.

**Ok, a potential problem exists in your kore matrix with scale on its own channel and midi bussed to the p53. As you may recall, each source channel can receive midi from outside via a hardware driver, or from a higher kore matrix, or it can receive midi from other channels on the same level using midi aux outs. Looking at your performance, it is very likely you have bussed the scale output to the p53 channel, and forgot to turn off its(p53) external midi input(from live). This could certainly result in some confusion of noteons and offs since the same note is split off then merged without any logic to ensure correct processing.

Hope this helps!

-jonathan adams leonard

4. jbone1313

Jonathan-

First of all, thanks for the reply. With folks like you, ew, and the guys @ CDM, this product has a nice community foundation.

I am using the X8Learn usually; I was just using the Kore2Midi for testing.

Good call. I wonder if this was also causing my problem with Kore2Midi. I'll keep y'all posted.

Best,

Jason
    ---
    Ok, I tried everything. No luck.

I also tried it in Kore Stand Alone with the Scale above Pro-53. Same behavior.

I tried messing around with the routings until I was blue in the face. :)

If you have the time and/or the will, maybe you could try on your end? Maybe you'll see something I'm missing.

Thanks again.

5. sleen

sleen NI Product Owner

Yikes

Hi Jason, I found the problem and sorry this took so much of your time. The scale ens works fine so long as you don't use the randomization. Whats happening is the note off (0) itself is getting randomized to some other value leaving some hanging notes. For some reason this did not come up when I added the random function previously. I have been traveling and could not duplicate this properly until this morning. I have an idea already of how to make the random work with noteoffs and will include this fix in a toolpack update that will also feature a new ensemble for drum triggering.

Thanks for pointing out the problem!

-jonathan adams leonard

6. grimley

grimley New Member

Kore2Note How to?

Hi,
    I spent a couple of hours head scratching last night trying to get the Kore2Note module to work. I'm trying to use it to automate some parameters in FXpansion Guru (REC toggle, undo and commit using midi notes).
    I placed the Kore2Note in the first cell of the sound and the Guru plugin in the cell below.
    I opened up the B panel in Kore2Note and set the first Kore switch to send the correct note numer (54 I think) on channel 12. Pressing the Kore controller button did not toggle the record button in Guru. I then placed the midi monitor ksd after the Kore2Note cell and was not able to see the midi note when I pressed the corresponding Kore controller button.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Justin

7. jbone1313

I also seem to notice similar behavior with Kore2MidiX8learn, whereby the cell below Kore2MidiX8learn doesn't see/receive MIDI data from Kore2MidiX8learn.

My workaround is to place another channel next to the channel containing the plugin I wish to affect. In that channel, I put Kore2MidiX8learn. Then, I rout the MIDI from Kore2MidiX8learn's channel to the channel with the plugin.

I'd still like to know what's going on though. :)

8. sleen

sleen NI Product Owner

Update: Version 1.6 080812

Version 1.6 080812

+ AudioTrigger
    + Scale redesigned and fixed for polyphonic input

Edit: Manual Page

Comments:
    AudioTrigger is a new addition that converts a mono audio input to a midi note event with velocity. Features include a learn button for automatically setting the trigger threshold and numerous controls for adjusting sensitivity including a bandpass filter to reject unwanted frequencies.

Scale was redesigned using a reaktor event table to handle the randomization of polyphonic input which fixed a problem with hung notes.

For more information and to obtain the software:

Kore 2 Reaktor Toolpack

Thank you,

Jonathan Adams Leonard

9. jbone1313

Hey! Thanks for the Scale fix!

10. DrPsyence

DrPsyence New Member

Tools Look great,I will get back to you when I've had a proper chance to play ( I'm up to my neck in Protools7.4/ Osx Leopard issues at the mo. With grateful thanks, from The Good Doctor

11. dswtan

dswtan NI Product Owner

Kore2Midi to enable Kore 2 to control Ableton Live instruments?

I would like to use my Kore 2 hardware controller's knobs to control the bundled software instruments in Ableton Live 7.

I read that Kore cannot do this directly I think (which confuses me, because I see its MIDI in/out available), but I thought I could use Kore2Midi (and X8/X8Learn) in the Reaktor Toolpack as a workaround. I have Komplete, so I have full Reaktor. I'm on a Mac, OS X. I have the IAC Driver enabled.

Can someone share a how-to on setting this up please? I've tried various configurations with no luck, but is it even possible perhaps?

12. John Foll

John Foll NI Product Owner

Do the instruments in Ableton Live VST? If they are VST, you can use them in KORE, then use KORE from Abelton Live. In my post, I was using KORE to host a VST Synth (Atmosphere), then added the Reaktor, routing all the midi from the Reaktor Kore2Midi Module to Atmosphere VST.

Its my understanding, that some sequencer's will read the Midi out from KORE. I use Cakewalk Sonar, and am able to assign Midi butons/Knobs (without using Reaktor Kore2Midi) to midi codes, and when use Sonar to record these midi codes to a track. This is basically what you want right?

You want to use KORE to send midi data to your Abelton Live. Seems like you should be able to do it. Normally, KORE won't let you just assign a midi button / knob by itself, but using KORE2 Midi, I think you could do it. Any knob setting in kore can be set to go to midi, too. Even if you set it up for a VST Synth in KORE, which can then be echoed to your sequencer.

Some improvements to KORE2 need to be made to make it easier to use with just midi.

I haven't used this for a while, because KORE2 has some issues on my computer when using this Reaktor Module - I can't save it and reload it - it only works for me when I first set it up. I think other people are able to use Kore2Midi correctly.

13. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Nope- Kore won't load any plugins that are host specific. Otherwise, you'd be able to use them in other apps by using Kore.
    That's what you'd do in Live's case; you'd echo MIDI to the other track(s)

ew

14. sleen

sleen NI Product Owner

IAC

Hi Dswtan, there is no problem using the kore controller to control Ableton Live internal instrument parameters, using Kore2MidiX8Learn and IAC as the connection.

1. Open Kore. Then audio midi settings, MIDI tab. In the output section make sure IAC is enabled. Then load Kore2MidiX8Learn in an empty source channel. Double check that the source channel midi output port itself is assigned to Apple Computer Inc, IAC Bus 1, in case you have a midi device already connected that is the default. As you move knobs on the kore controller, midi should now flow out of kore via the IAC port.

2. Open Live. Enter the preferences, midi tab. Enable the IAC driver Bus 1 for 'Remote' in the midi port input section. Next, try opening an instrument like simpler, then enable midi learn (BLUE), select a parameter in simpler like sample start and move a control on the kore controller. In my test with live 7 this worked fine without the kore controller since I am traveling, but it should work for you as well.

Let us know how it works!

-jonathan adams leonard

15. dswtan

dswtan NI Product Owner

Solved: Kore2Midi to enable Kore 2 to control Ableton Live instruments?

Thanks everyone! Especially to sleen for the detailed steps -- much appreciated.

I actually got this to work myself last night finally, thanks to the thoughts shared here, and now sleen's post confirms I was on the right track (no pun!). For future travellers, once I'd found out about the IAC driver and its purpose, this is where I was still going wrong:

1. Not realizing the importance of "remote" in Live's MIDI settings.

2. Need to run Kore on its own and not hosted within Live.

3. Learning about MIDI routing in and between tracks within Live (touched on by posts here -- thanks again).

So I'm up and running, yay! And all thanks to Kore2Midi, yay!

I have one remaining issue to solve and that's making mappings persist between patch changes within a track in Live, but I guess that's off-topic for the Kore board. :)

16. hara04

hara04 NI Product Owner

Kore2Midi vs Kore2Notes

I can't seem to get the Kore2Notes tool working the way the manual says. When I load Kore2Midi and switch the snapshot to "notes," I can get the buttons playing pitches, but here the knobs change the velocity value not the pitch note. When I do boot up Kore2Notes, it seems to be exactly the same ensemble as Kore2Midi, except that actually nothing seems to work. Is this a bug or am I missing something? (I have version 1.6)
    Thanks!

17. sleen

sleen NI Product Owner

Kore2notes

Hi Hara, the kore2midi and kore2notes are examples of things you can do, but mostly have been superceded by KoremidiX8Learn. The Kore2notes is just a koresound showing that you can generate notes with the kore controller - though for your setup you may want to tweak it further. Check out the B page of the reaktor ensemble to change any of the controls routings and hence output. What specifically do you need it to do? I might have some advice there.

18. Soundmatters

Soundmatters New Member

Hi,

somehow, I cannot get any MIDI output from Reaktor to feed into the next slot's module. The MIDI indicators in Reaktor show both In and Out activity, but the MIDI messages don't reach the next slot.
    when I bypass the reaktor-slot the synths behave normally again.
    What do I need to do?

thanks

thorsten
    ---
    Hi,
    I think I figured I out by myself... Possibly the AU version of Reaktor does not forward the MIDI information to the next level, but the VsT version does! does that make sense?
    Anyway, finally I can start to use these sounds...
    Thanks for doing this, sleen

greets,

thorsten

19. sleen

sleen NI Product Owner

Kore Controller Footswitch : SUSTAIN

Hi there, someone sent me question via email I thought might be helpful for others. His question was how to use the kore controller foot switch to send sustain pedal info.

Sustain pedal is actually a continuous controller message, CC#64 and must be sent with a value of 127 to sustain, and a value of 0 to close.

There is a convenient ensemble in the toolpack which may be used for these purposes and it is called Kore2midi, but will require some slight modification.

First open the Kore2midi koresound from the toolpack. Try loading just above the slot you need to sustain, or better, load it on a seperate source channel so it may be directed to any and every channel in kore, Sustain being a global sort of control usually. If going with a seperate source channel for sustain, remember to route its midi output to the plugin channels of interest - like Akoustik Piano.

The Kore2midi Koresound already has a user control page. Within this control page we must select a button, and change its settings on the 'control' tab, assigning either FS1 or FS2. The default settings of type gate and action down are fine. Now when you press your external footswitch, it will engage the user page button.

Next we must modify the kore2midi reaktor ensemble settings. First, we need visit the B panel of Kore2midi and change whichever button settings we will edit. In this example, I have selected in the kore user page button 1 in the upper left, and this may correspond to M01 settings in the reaktor B panel. Lets change the 'number' knob to 64 since it should already be assigned to send CC. By default, the button is mapped to the internal 'trigger', firing all the settings of module 1 at once. This is a problem because in this state it will only send sustain 127 which is hung note city. What we need to do is send cc64, but value 127 AND value 0 when we lift our foot. For this we must change the mapping of the reaktor button from the internal M01 'trigger', to the M01 'value' knob itself. We do this using the drop down menu on the left side of panel B. Follow the flip menu until you see a long list of possible assignments. You will see that the star/asterisk is already next to M01 Trigger. Instead, lets select M01 'value'. Then , remember to select the 'trigger' assignment again, un-assigning it - duplicate assignments are possible so be careful.

The reaktor button should now be capable of gating that value knob between 127 and 0, sending CC64 via plugin midi out to your required destination in kore.

To keep this kore2midi function for the future, it might be cool to save a reaktor snapshot, and then save the reaktor ensemble. Then save the koresound as well, with a name like Kore2Sustain. Then from the browser all you need to type is toolpack sustain and you have an instant result.

Hope this helps Koredudes! And Dudettes! ;)

-jonathan adams leonard

20. b3fan

b3fan NI Product Owner

Kore 2 expression pedal

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for the workaround. This solves the problem with sustain. Because I´m not so used to Reaktor I don´t understand one thing complete. You wrote in the forum to "un-assigning the trigger to avoid duplicate assignments". What do you mean by this ?
    Another question is: I try to assign the pedal (Kore 1 controller) as an expression controller (11) to the Pro 53 in the same way like the sustain switch but it doesn´t work. How must I configurate the Reaktor tool ?
    Also I want to control a set of three plug ins (Acoustik Piano, Pro 53 and FM8) with the sustain switch (this works fine with your tool) but only one of them with the pedal (for expression 11). How I must configurate this ?