1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Kore Update incompatablilty

Discussion in 'KORE' started by funky primate, Sep 12, 2011.

1. funky primate

funky primate Forum Member

So i updated my Kore and Komplete 7 to all the latest updates. When i finished , I could not run the Massive instrument in Kore ( it would just freeze ) after I placed the latest VST .dll files in my Kore plug-in folder. So i wrote a ticket to NI and never received a reply. So i decided to uninstall-reinstall Kore ( updated to version 2.1.2) and now everything works. But Kore is running the Massive 1.1.5 .dll version in KSD format. So, my ultimate question is, Has anyone had any trouble with the latest updates running in Kore 2.1.3 ?
    or was it just my system ?.

but something is bugging me, I load up Kore as a VST in ableton and I load the Kore 2.1.3 version and it works perfectly ( when officially I have the 2.1.2 version installed in my computer ) so how is that possible?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. a1mixman

a1mixman NI Product Owner

You shouldn't have done that as it's broken. NI's got it all F'ed up.

3. funky primate

so are you telling me that i shouldnt even have updated in the first place?
    are you having similar issues?

4. a1mixman

a1mixman NI Product Owner

To tell you the truth I'm so confused with all of this I don't really know for sure...

5. funky primate

this is wicked **** , well, i hope the issues get resolved, and we can load all the latest updated .dll files in the current Kore update. I had resorted to abletons instrument racks for the morphing. At least I learned allot more of ableton in the process

6. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

The new VST versions of Absynth, FM8 and Massive don't work in Kore. You can safely install the new updates of Kore, Absynth, FM8 and Massive and keep using all your old koresounds, just don't use the workaround to manually replace the engines and accept that you have no access to the extra and future presets of Absynth, FM8, Massive and Reaktor in Kore.

I can't say why Ableton says you're using 2.1.3 :)

Concerning the no reply from NI: accept that too, they ignore most questions about Kore even if you still have warranty. They told us we had limited support for an unlimited time or something.

7. funky primate

ok

So, then that is what im going to do now, I will update my Kore to 2.1.3 and I guess i need to settle for all the original .dll versions of 2009 Lmfao . This sure is stupid, whats worse is that I made some incredible bass patches with MaSV 1.3. Those bastards at NI need to get stuff situated fast. You see, this is why im am not buying Komplete 8 and maybe will wait until K10 when there is newer versions worth upgrading to. But we all know Kore will stop working when that version hits the market.

Poor Customer Service , thumbs down

8. kb123

kb123 NI Product Owner

This is all getting a bit silly.

If you download and install the latest version of Kore, this will bring Kore up to date with the latest versions of the synths that are compatible with kore and the ksd preset format.

If you want to use presets from the latest release versions of Massive, Absynth or FM8, you need to first load a wrapper such as described here http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147293 or use a mini host such as bidule within kore that you then include the latest version of the synths in. It works perfectly fine and allows you to access the new maschine format presets within kore.

Its not an ideal situation, but it works!

9. nielsdolieslager

It's silly that Kore doesn't work according to its specifications. Does a wrapper use cpu?

10. jondl_2000

jondl_2000 NI Product Owner

If you reread the OP you'll see he placed the current Massive VST in his Kore 2.1.2 plug-in folder - which is not exactly within specifications and has been discussed often on this forum. When he fell back and reinstalled Kore - including the integrated engine for Massive - it all worked as intended.

11. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

fwiw, the hack of placing the VST .dll file in the Kore plugin folder is not supported by NI, so you will not get any help.

if you accept that you cannot run the updates of Absynth, FM 8 or Massive in Kore 2.1.3 - only the older integrated engine version - then you won't have problems.

sowari

12. funky primate

yeah i figured that out,
    fwiw I did not know that moving those .dll were a hack. I thought that was what you had to do. This is why i hate "nerding out" and wish this stuff was easier so I can just focus on my music. oh well, everything is working now, so screw it

13. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I think the truth, as always, lies somewhere in-between. It is not really a "hack" and although NI always made the appropriate noises about it being "at your own risk" and "officially unsupported" it was nonetheless an open secret on the forum and commonly used by informed users and given as advice by mods etc. The fact is Kore updates became so infrequent it was the only way to avoid getting incompatibility between updates to the engines and Kore and 99% of the time even if unsupported it didn't cause any problems. However now that has changed.

The major downside is:

a) Kore users on Windows can't access any new presets made using the standalone (unless perhaps they have friendly Mac users to help out) which means that probably sooner rather than later soundpacks will come out for Massive etc we can't use in Kore (you can already count the revamped Kore soundpacks that ridiculously have now been given feely to all users in a format Kore can't use)

b) It cuts us off from bugfixes and new developments - at least until they come out as fully new versions - something I still think NI should bring forward or at least create interim versions that appear to Kore as if they are not the engine plugins.

14. nielsdolieslager

I'm referring to Kore's capability of loading VST's. Kore is not capable of loading the latest Absynth, FM8 and Massive versions as VST and according to specifications should be. Unless you use the wrapper workaround. But that way your presets appear as "Wusik" presets, not as Massive presets. Very inconvenient.

15. jondl_2000

Kore has always performed this way - the latest update has not affected this behavior.

It may be considered a design limitation, as the Mac release of Kore allows the AU version to be loaded, but this is not new behavior for Kore.

16. funky primate

so basically

I dont understand much about the unsupported mods or hacks with porting the updated .dll files and I discovered that on my own as I couldnt use a certain patch within Kore unless I updated to the latest Kontakt .dll ( so that is why i thought it was what you needed to do ) anyways, I did the same one by one again this ( unsupported method ) and I found that only Massive 1.3 .dll does not work if you place it in your Kore plug-in folder. All others work ( unless its just my machine ) . So you can load the absynth spectral and other presets within your Kore ( but without variations )
    ---
    Also I discovered that you can save your presets in Absynth 5 while in Kore ( updated version .nabs) and they will load in Kore too.I opened a preset in Spectral Expansion and saved as a different file name, and it opened that preset within Kore, NICE! Not so lucky with FM8, I couldnt open a patch that I saved .nfm8 within Kore. You cannot even open the saved patch if you try in stand-alone, but! If you do save the patch while you are in stand-alone (Fm8) you can open that patch in Kore.

So this basically means that you can use those ex-koresounds from Absynth and FM8 but you need to rework those Variations. If anyone is kind enough to pass that variation data to the genral public, essentially we can all have those koresounds.
    Of course, thats work.
    ---
    Sorry, I just contradicted myself. Only in absynth can you rework the variations within Kore ; save and re-open ; since you can save the presets in .nabs format within Kore and have it working/load. But, since you cannot save and re-open a file of FM8's latest file engine .nfm8 within Kore, this basically means that you cannot recreate those variations in Transient Attacks. ( at least you can open a file you saved in Stand-Alone Mode)

17. nielsdolieslager

So? That it is not new does not mean that it is according to specifications.

Sounds a bit like what support told me about Komplete 8 coming without koresounds: "we never guaranteed there would be koresounds for all Kompletes, there have even been Komplete products that never had koresounds."

Yeah, like you know that before you buy Kore, that some Komplete products don't have koresounds... You see the advertisements saying "ideal companion to Komplete". Where does it say "only up to Komplete 7"?

Kore is supposed to open all VST's. Doesn't matter that this bug has been in Kore from the start.

18. jondl_2000

I don't believe Komplete 8 was advertised as Kore compatible. And if memory serves, the announcement of Kore's discontinuation said something along the lines of future products not being backwards compatible, i.e. no KSDs.

. Anyway, Kore 2 + Komplete 6 working here with the latest updates installed. Looking forward to the next release w/ 64-bit support.

19. nielsdolieslager

Google for the term "ideal companion to Komplete" and you'll see how Kore was marketed. It doesn't matter that Komplete 8 was never advertised as Kore compatible, many users bought Kore for browsing through Komplete because they were led to believe Kore was Komplete's only browser.

20. kb123

kb123 NI Product Owner

In case it had escaped your notice, Kore has been discontinued. Expecting it to work with Komplete 8 is completely unrealistic, I don't know why you keep going over the same ground over and over and over and over and over again