KoreSound Browser Alternatives?

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Resort Records, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Resort Records

Resort Records NI Product Owner

Hi, all.

There is one component of Kore 2 that I simply cannot be without: the browser. By organizing and ranking thousands of patches from myriad synths and samplers into searchable categories, it has so streamlined - no, revolutionized - my workflow that I rarely use soft synths from other manufacturers anymore.

Given Kore's discontinuation, what are the alternatives?

I would very much like to see a plugin product or DAW feature dedicated to this task, sort of like the old MIDI patch librarians of yore, but with an open approach whereby softsynth manufacturers and users may contribute patch categorizations / keyword mappings to a public database.

Hell, let's just create an XML standard format for patch descriptors and let the DAW manufacturers run with it! But I digress....

I am considering the Maschine crossgrade but, after reviewing the 1,600+ posts in the "official" Kore Discontinuation thread, detected no mention of Maschine's ability (or inability) to integrate with my DAW while providing the same level of inline patch organization and searching. As a composer/musician dedicated to my DAW, I don't need Maschine's host (or the VST's non-sound-generating CPU overhead), so any real benefits would only come from its control surface which may or may not integrate well with Sonar X1. It's difficult to tell. Come to think of it, Kore's discontinuation has put me off proprietary controllers altogether. If I purchase another control surface, it will likely be universal/MIDI.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

This was a feature of Kore that I also relied upon. I don't know of any alternatives.

3. theoryzero

theoryzero NI Product Owner

Cubase since version 4 I believe has a similar "browser" implementation. I never really dived into it very much, since I was using Kore, but it is another alternative.

4. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

Yes, Cubase and Nuendo have their own "media bay", and Sonar has something similar. But the DAWs all store their stuff in different ways.

Maybe Native should have just turned everything over to Steinberg with regards to the Kore browser. Let Steinberg build it into Cubendo. The two companies are in the same city, yes?

Aaaah, but yes. Steinberg also has Halion, a direct competitor for Kontakt. Would not look good for Halion to have Kore's browser, would it? Nope, but it would be funny! :p

5. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

Big Tick's 'Zen' looks to be the most promising. If Tick can get it to work in Cubase, that is.

I've done some very limited experiments with it and I'm sure that, with work, it could do the job.

I hope so anyway.

6. arachnaut

With an extension of that line of reasoning it would be in every car manufacturer's best interest to have a custom way to drive their car.

7. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

Aaaaah, the car analogy, you made my day! :D

A sports analogy anybody? ;)

8. Ronny Bangsund

Ronny Bangsund NI Product Owner

Sports are already like music software: Different goals, differently sized balls and no agreement on how long a match should be.

9. arachnaut

I knew you would like that one.

10. Resort Records

Resort Records NI Product Owner

Yes, it looks promising, but doesn't yet support Reaktor, Kontakt or any other VST synth with outboard objects. And as much as I cheer the effort, I question the staying power of a free app from such a small company. Given my Kore-inspired fear of proprietary solutions, I'd feel better if this were an open project on SourceForge.

Regarding Nuendo and Cubase, if every DAW has a proprietary solution, then we're back to discussing the value of an XML standard for patch descriptors. If we could ratify such a standard, we'd likely see KoreBrowser-like functionality in every DAW, not to mention the ability to port your patch management state between DAWs.

For the record, the MP3 format supplied no standard for tagging files with metadata. By necessity, a hack was employed. Now, we can choose from myriad descriptors to tag MP3s with all manner of information. Likewise, look at how EXIF metadata has revolutionized photo management. I can't see going back to a musicmaking world without KoreBrowser, just as I can't see managing photos without Adobe Bridge or EXIF keyword tagging. The difference? EXIF is non-proprietary. Nobody will ever "discontinue" EXIF.

But, once again, I digress....