Laptop and Latency

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by JaredVogt, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaredVogt

JaredVogt NI Product Owner

Greetings,
    I am currently using Maschine inside Pro Tools TDM as an RTAS plug - and liking it (I have run into a few issues I posted earlier and did not get a response on - if someone cares to look back ;-).
    I would like to take it on the road and use it standalone in conjunction with a laptop. I am looking for some guidance on what to expect and what to buy. If I have a decently powered laptop (PC or MAC), what is my best option for lowest latency on the audio interface? I know there are multiple variables, so its not a straightforward answer. In short, what interface will give me the lowest latency - and what latency am I likely to achieve?

Thanks,
    Jared

2. zonco

zonco Forum Member

Hi! What do you want from your audio interface, stereo out or other needs? Are you only going to use the card with Maschine, or protools too (LE). Most modern cards have very low latency (at least on mac, haven¨t used windows in while for music). Firewire cards are generally the fastest and most stable, but it all comes down to what you want to pay. In the stereo deluxe class is the Apogee Duet, 2 in 2 out. Don´t think you will notice any latency with it (mac only thouh I think), it´s only a few ms. But there are many options out there, so it all depends on what you want.

3. arovia

arovia NI Product Owner

Hi, if you use Protools you need a Digidesign hardware to run the app, so if you would like to run Maschine in your laptop standalone and in protools i would take a look at M-box mini or the M-box micro if you just use headphones.

i have the "apogee Duet" and "Audio 8 dj" and they works perfekt in Logic pro and Mashine standalone.

4. Suicide Server

Suicide Server Forum Member

Im using Maschine on my MacBook Pro 2,4 GHZ with the NI Audio Kontrol 1 and i really love it. After switching off speedstep i can get latency down to 4ms which is really awesome.

5. JaredVogt

JaredVogt NI Product Owner

Apologies for not being specific. I only need stereo in/stereo out. Having XLR w/Phantom on the IN as well. It would be nice if it was USB 2.0.

Suicide Server... 4ms is encouraging. Is that even with really complex stuff - can it play all the demo songs?
    Arovia... what latency are you seeing with your interfaces? What kind of laptop?
    Zonco... I am not looking to use it inside of Pro Tools LE. So I don't need a digi interface (my experience with latency and digi interfaces is less than happy).

Thanks,
    Jared

6. Suicide Server

Hey Jared,

all the demo songs are working fine and i run maschine in Ableton Live 7 with a lot of plugins and effects like NI Massive, Reaktor, and latency is always down. Was quite a bit of work but once your cpu is running at full throttle, everything is awesome.

7. zonco

zonco Forum Member

How did you disable speedstep, and was it necessary? Never even thought about it in OS X.

8. Suicide Server

Hey Zonco,

all you need is a programm called coolbook. With this tool you can set the voltage lower, so the cpu will stay cooler and you can disable speedstep. The Macbooks normaly clocks at around 800 MHZ and now im running fine with 1400 MHZ as the lowest and 2400 as the highest. This makes such a huge difference to latency that i couldnt belive it. And yep it was neccesary because when a plugin demanded more cpu from one second to another i had horrible glitches with my AK1.

9. zonco

zonco Forum Member

Cool. Will check it out, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.