1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Laptops and adverse environments

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by ttauri, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ttauri

ttauri NI Product Owner

Just wondering what people's experiences were in environments that might be rough on a laptop. Like, say:

- a badly ventilated, tightly packed club generating a lot of sweat-humidity.

- an outdoor gig on a really hot day

Any sensible precautions? For instance, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to pick up one of those laptop cooling fans.

Peece,
    T. Tauri

2. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

I've played in both of those and not hada problem on either PC or Mac.

Be more concerned with power quality, surge control, signal isolation, Hum and hard drive damaging vibration and knocks. I blew the sound outputs on my Gateway laptop due to a high voltage differential between power ground and Audio signal going to the mixer. I had a friend loose his nearly new ableton laptop hard drive one night due to his system getting repeatedly knocked while playing his set.

Phil

3. harry_Tf

harry_Tf Forum Member

yup..what Phil said...

I've played in record melting 35 celcius and direct sunlight where I could barely touch the mixer cause it was so hot. I've gone thru alot of fs records on tour cause of heat(instant warp) and my laptop still plays on. I have also played on an ice stage in minus 30 with a windchill of minus 40, which i'll never do again!! But no problems with either of my laptops....3 years running(may replace this year tho) Props to the Pioneer 909 and my trusty Toshiba lappy's.

4. ttauri

ttauri NI Product Owner

Kool. That's good to know.

Peece,
    T. Tauri

5. boysteve

boysteve NI Product Owner

Some monitors are nearly impossible to see in direct sunlight; I'd reality test this if I were you. It's not a bad idea to have a 4"-wide strip of cardboard you can tape around three sides of your screen to act as a hood in the event you are working without any shade.

6. BDC

BDC Forum Member

I play out quite a bit in AZ. Warehouse events are mostly without A/C and bad power, Desert events where its 100+F at midnight..some extreme conditions for sure
    ...but with a good surge protector powerstrip, and a towel to keep me from sweating up my gear, I usually have no problems.

7. imianwilliams

imianwilliams NI Product Owner

Two things I'm always wary of, heat & vibration.

My powerbook normally sits on a USB cooling fan, & the case that my powerbook is in sits on one of those bright orange "freefloat" thingies.

http://www.topdjgear.com/frtustp.html

8. Vince_Tf

Vince_Tf Forum Member

Here we see a good environment for a couple of laptops!

http://i5.tinypic.com/23lfa00.jpg

EDIT (btw it is possible that these machines were given out by Apple as swag to get them in the hands of influential people)

9. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Yes it is!

Phil

10. swavek

swavek NI Product Owner

Right on! I almost want to get reincarnated as a white MacBook... Seriously, though, I reckon it's always good to have with you a mouse (I use one of 'em tiny weightless infrared two buttons+scroll wheel thingies) - when it gets really humid, or your hands get sweaty because of the heat, I find it can get really tricky to use the trackpad on my MacBook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.