Last stable MacOSX for running Kore2? Setting up new Mac

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Citizen, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Citizen

Citizen NI Product Owner

Hi everyone. I'm looking to consolidate some of my software audio tools.

I've got an old MacBook Pro here doing nothing, and thought I could potentially use it as a dedicated sound design hub for running older, much loved, but discontinued software (ie. Kore and Albino, specifically).:cool:

A few questions:

• Which was the last OSX that supported a stable functioning of Kore 2?

• I have the original Kore 2 installation (and Komplete 9) disk, but I also purchased various Kore expansion sets. Are these downloadble anywhere for a fresh install?

• Alternatively – I still have Kore 2 with the expansions set up on an older Desktop. Is there a clean way that I can transfer the whole Kore 2 + Expansions + Komplete 9 from one computer to another? (Or would I have to use Mac's 'Migration Assistant' to bring over the the full contents of the HD, and then delete all the stuff I don't need?)

I really appreciate your advice here, cause Kore and the expansions was an endless source of inspirationand sound design, and I'm looking to make full use of it. Thanks in advance. :)

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

I think the last one that would still work is 10.14. Big Sur completely removes 32-bit compatibility, so this may affect the Kore 2 hardware driver.

To be able to install Kore you will have to disable SIP (google it) and also modify the supported macOS version in the installer description file (look around this subforum, there are threads about this).

Regarding downloads: check if you have downloadable ISOs over here in your account. If not, I'm pinging
    Matt @ NI and Jeremy @ NI here and they should be able to provide you links to those.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

You only need to disable SIP for the hardware to work and that's not going to happen on Big Sur (or Catalina) anyway as the drivers are 32 bit. If just running the software I guess the 64 bit plugin might work, the 32 bit certainly won't, and I am not certain about the standalone - depends on whether it includes some 32 bit code? You do have to hack the installer though for it to run on an unsupported OS - there were several threads covering that. If you want to go all the way back to an OS that doesn't require disabling SIP for the hardware to run it might be Yosemite or Mavericks - tbh can't remember when I first had to do that.

4. EvilDragon

Standalone exists both as 32-bit and 64-bit so 64-bit should still work.

5. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

On Mac it's all one app though and you select 32 or 64 bit in the preferences pane so it might not be quite so simple.

6. Citizen

Citizen NI Product Owner

Brilliant – thank you for your awesome, and very helpful replies.

Yes, it does look like my Kore 2 software and all Kore Expansion packs are downloadable from My Account – thank you Evil Dragon. This is ace, because the music I'm working on atm could do with a bit of True Strike Tension style percussion. Brilliant.

Now, just to work out how to install MacOSX Yosemite (10.10) on my older MacBook.

Am I correct in understanding that I would only need to disable SIP if I was trying to install Kore on a later version of MacOSX?

7. EvilDragon

Yeah it should install just fine after you disable SIP.

8. Citizen

Citizen NI Product Owner

But if I install 10.10, do I still need to disable SIP?

Oh, and just to be clear – I intend to use Kore in my DAW, Ableton. (not sure if that makes any difference, but I dont intend to use it as standalone)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2021
  9. EvilDragon

Yes, you would need to also disable SIP on later macOS versions too, up until Catalina where Kore probably doesn't work anymore.

10. Citizen

Citizen NI Product Owner

Long story short, I was able to Install Mac OSX 10.11.6 – El Capitan.

I disabled SIP, but strangely, the link to Native ID no longer loads on this computer. Is that a security issue because of disabling SIP (ie. is my Mac not trusting the site or something?)

Can someone also comment on whether disabling SIP opens you upto potential security threats/malware etc? (I don't plan on doing anything other than sound design with Kore and Albino on this old mac, so I'm not really that concerned about security, but thought I should ask anyway)

Thanks for your help – I'll let you know if I have sucess with my Kore installation and Kore soundpacks. Will be stoked if this works.

11. EvilDragon

I think you only need to disable SIP for the installer. After installing you can reenable it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Citizen

Citizen NI Product Owner

OK, after 90 minutes on the phone with Apple, installing OSX 10.11 El Capitan and the time it took to DL all of the various installers for Kore and Expansions, and after disabling SIP, I run the Kore installer and get the following message:

'Failure

Installation cannot proceed, as not all requirements were met. This product requires at least OSX 10.4.'

:(

But I'm on 10.11.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Attached Files:

13. EvilDragon

You need to modify the installer min version manually. This was already discussed in this subforum, please do a search :)

14. Citizen

Citizen NI Product Owner

Sorry, I missed that bit. ADHD. Comprehension is, quite literally, my very weakest point.

I have since done multiple searches of the Kore Forum for 'modify the supported macOS version in the installer description file' or 'installer description file' etc – and have come up with nothing, well, aside from links back to this thread!

Any tips on how to find this information?

15. Citizen

Citizen NI Product Owner

I assume it involves opening the 'Contents' of the Installer files and modifying one of those files in Terminal, yeah?

16. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I did say as well - anyway the post you want is here

and unless you need the hardware working disabling SIP is not necessary

• Like Like x 1
  17. Citizen

Citizen NI Product Owner

Thanks Kymeia. I got it now. :thumbsup:

I'm now having issues with Service Centre to authorise the products – doesn't seem to want to log in me into Service Centre.

Anybody else have this issue and know the workaround?

18. Citizen

Citizen NI Product Owner

EDIT: The edit to the installer description file worked for Complete Elements, but NOT for Kore. :(

When I try to save the changes to the 'distribution.dist' file, it tells me that the file is locked.

Sharing & Permissions on OSX is set to 'You can only read', with no option to change it to read and write.

Attached Files:

19. EvilDragon

Service Center is dead. Native Access should be able to authorize Kore 2.

(Just FYI; all of this hoop jumping just to get it working is Mac specific. No such thing is required on Windows where Kore 2 still happily ticks day in day out :))

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Try this

Attached Files: