Limit filter frequency range with breath control

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by Greg Sinibaldi, May 12, 2021.

1. Greg Sinibaldi

Greg Sinibaldi NI Product Owner

Hello,

I'm controlling a filter cutoff frequency with breath control and have that working fine, but it goes from 0 to 100. I'd like to limit the range of the frequency, say from 30 to 70 or something similar. (I'm using round numbers here rather than actual frequencies for simplicity). I know this is likely simple but I cant seem to figure it out.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help!

Greg

2. Michael O'Hagan

Michael O'Hagan NI Product Owner

Here is a little macro that will convert a 0-1 range signal to a 30-70 range signal with outputs for C (cutoff) and F (frequency).

It should be a good little example of how to do this.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. ANDREW221231

ANDREW221231 NI Product Owner

i always see a new post,"ooh, someone in need of assistance!" and just about every time it seems you're quicker on the draw...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Greg Sinibaldi

Thanks so much

I'm a little new to Reaktor Core. Do I place this within the my Monark filter or somewhere in the Ensemble? Also if I want the range to change is it simply a matter of changing the numbers?

Thanks!

5. ANDREW221231

hello and thanks for asking. yes, you'll want to change the numbers. but that's not saying much, even the music part, is itself numbers. we need to get more specific here.

HOWEVER, you might be in luck. are you referring to monarck the full instrument as ensemble, or monark as in the block?

because if you have the block, modulating the filter cutoff with your own signals or audio or breath control or whatever.. couldn't be be easier

if its the ensemble, it may take some digging. i'd have to walk you through what to do, like surgery

6. Greg Sinibaldi

As intriguing as surgery sounds, I'm talking about the Monark filter block!

7. ANDREW221231

ok, were talking about how to use the range limiter and you are already controlling monark, correct?

how are you applying your breath control? as midi CC to the knob value? i would imagine you're not modulating the the audio input with your breath controller directly?

8. Greg Sinibaldi

Yeah, I'm already controlling the filter cutoff frequency with midi cc #2 applied to the cutoff knob

9. colB

colB NI Product Owner

If you want to just stick with blocks and not get into lower level details, you should be able to do what you need with the Util CV mix block.
    That lets you control the range of an input. So you could have the midi input processed via the Note in Block, then through the CV Mix Block, into the Filter, either directly into the F input, or into one of the A/B mod inputs...

10. Studiowaves

Studiowaves NI Product Owner

Hi Greg, aside from limiting from what your asking you might also like this on your breath controller. It allows different frequency swings depending on how hard you blow. This ensemble shows it working, you can dig out the part you need (vel sense). It's 1 little macro with 2 inputs already in a core cell, you can chain the macros for more strength if needed.

One input is for the curve the other accepts input swings from 0 to 1. I have a breath controller myself. Let me know if you need any guidance. It a core thing but the module is already made. Here's the link. Basically it's an xy scope where x is the input 0-1 and Y is the output. As you can see turning the knob clockwise makes it easier to blow into the high part where as counter clock wise the filter is kept on the low side and you have to blow harder to get to the high end. It's not a necessity by all means but it's nice to have a little help getting up there without blowing so hard. Or laying low on the other side. https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/attachments/velocity-curve-test-zip.109897/

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  11. Greg Sinibaldi

Thanks Studiowaves! I do need some assistance with this... Not sure how to integrate into my ensembles. Perhaps private message is better? I'm at greg@gregsinibaldi.com

12. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Greg, you can open a conversation with Al (Studiowaves) here in this forum.

13. Studiowaves

It's no big deal Greg,, you can upload your ensemble here. My experience is nowhere close to Paule's or the others. This forum is like gardening, and sometimes you have to dig deep to plant a big tree. What your asking is probably simple as your just dealing with range limiting. So an example of what you did will help. It's probably a simple thing. But I'll open a private message so you can see how its done. I have an old Yamaha breath controller. It had a hole in it and I use to get hyperventilated blowing thru it. So I covered up the hole and luckily it responded to pressure.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Studiowaves

. I never thought of using the breath controller as a solo instrument, that might be fun. I'm glad you brought this up even though your using it for expression it got me thinking. Of course we all know what happens when that happens. LOL

15. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

16. Studiowaves

17. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

18. Studiowaves

Hey, that's pretty neat, for a sec I thought it was Kontakt. I'm pretty beat tonight but hopefully get to play with this tomorrow.
    I don't have an instrument breath controller. It's just a piece you hold in your mouth and blow on it. It plugs into my yamaha keyboard and can be used for expression like the mod wheel.

19. Greg Sinibaldi

Thanks for the help!

Ive attached an ensemble I'm trying to do this with. I have the filter responding to breath control just fine, but like I said the range is a bit extreme for me. I dont want it to be so "blatty" when breath is at full strength.

One other tool I've found useful for designing breath control instruments is the Breath-Controlled Gain Control by Chet Singer (https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/12931/) It works pretty good. I'm looking for something similar to control range on filters, delays etc. I know its possible to build in Reaktor, but my skills arent quite there yet!

Ok let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

20. Studiowaves

Try this and let me know if it affects anything
    upload_2021-5-19_16-46-1.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1