1. Bringing more to our online community - our forum is moving soon!
    We're excited to share more about our plans and information about the future of our online community
    Check our latest update in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Linux support for Native Access and Kontakt Player?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by alek2, May 29, 2020.

1. alek2

alek2 New Member

Hello,

I'm new here. I would ask the users and the developers especially, if there would be a support for Linux (Ubuntu) for Native Access and the Kontakt Player. I think it would be great idea, as it would not only make Native Instruments more popular, but also have their cash flow flowing. I myself would pay a fair sum for the final products of the Linux versions of the Native Access and the Kontakt Player - and I don't think many Linux music enthusiasts would differ from the same opinion. Would the NI developers encourage their partners/other companies (such as Impact Soundworks) to produce plugins for Linux?

Thank you for reading my message, and please pass it forward to the developers and those who decide on the course of the NI products.

With best regards,
    alek2

• Like Like x 2
  2. GoaSkin

GoaSkin NI Product Owner

All NI software except the hardware tools run perfect using WINE. What is your problem?

3. Patrick Guillou

Patrick Guillou NI Product Owner

Using wine is a pain. It is also less efficient than native code.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GoaSkin

GoaSkin NI Product Owner

Not really. I am using all plugins with Bitwig under Linux with linvstconvert. No bugs and not more latency than under OSX.

In standalone mode, the applications run well with wineasio driver but I only need the plugins.

For the Komplete Kontrol keyboard (S-devices) , I wrote my own software (linked in my signature).

5. Patrick Guillou

I just tried yesterday with the latest version of wine and Ubuntu 20.04... installing native access worked but the installation of guitar rig failed. I had to manually mount the iso.

then I tried to launch guitar rig and had a beautiful error... not working.:(

in my (short) experience with wine I always had problems. And I do not have time to dig into it any more.

It would be much more straightforward to have a active Linux package.:)

6. GoaSkin

GoaSkin NI Product Owner

Yes, if any NI product comes as an ISO download, you need to mount it manually and run the installer because WINE actually does not support mounting iso images.

Guitar Rig itself runs well using the "wine-staging" package from the official WINE repositories instead of the WINE-version that comes with ubuntu. For the use of NI products, wine-staging should always be used. In the wine settings (winecfg), GTK-theming must not be activated. That causes problems.

Furthermore, wineasio must be installed if you want to use any NI software with a multichannel audio interface and you want to choose specific in- and outputs.

7. Patrick Guillou

GoaSkin thanks for all those informations. I’ll eventually try ...

The whole purpose of my first post was to say that using wine is not straightforward. At least not as much as a native Linux app would be and from what you say it is still true ... Even if I admit that it is not as complicated as it used to be :)

8. GoaSkin

GoaSkin NI Product Owner

Porting Native Access to Linux should be very easy. I think, the source code must only be recompiled because it is based on the QT framework which is made to deploy the same software for different operating systems.

Regarding the DAW plugins and audio software, we don't know if they're portable to Linux. The difficulty about porting any software is the used of 3rd party toolkits and frameworks which are used to realize them. If these are not available for Linux, software which depends on them cannot be ported as long as these frameworks aren't replaced with something else.

9. Patrick Guillou

Thank you very much for your answer. I fully understand that it might be difficult to port a software that has not been developed with Linux in mind because of all the reasons you gave.

Yesterday I tried to install NativeAccess on Ubuntu with the staging branch of wine ... but failed ! That was working with the stable branch ! I know it must be feasible as a lot of people claim there success (I’m sooo jealous ;-) ) but I have no time to dig into it...

So If it’s easy, porting native access to Linux could be a very welcome first step ?

And then try to port Kontakt (the most iconic NativeInstrument software) and see what libs or framework should be replaced ? It should give a clear view of feasibility ! And if it appears to be « not so hard » to do maybe continue with other NI VSTs ?

I would love to see that happening <3

10. alek2

alek2 New Member

Hi,
    my problem is that I couldn't get to work the Native Access on Wine on Linux, no matter how different settings I would get to do it, be it Win 7 or Win 10, it just wouldn't work. That doesn't matter now anyway, when I've bought a PC with a Windows operating system, and now with the Kontakt Player installed... I'm through with the Linux question, though it's a sigh at the Linux's part... Less hassle, and now I can get to the work... Thank you for all the responses to this thread, and thank you Native Instruments for the Kontakt 6 Player! :)

11. louislingg

louislingg New Member

There's another aspect to this that we haven't talked about. (Because the new Maschine + is basically a laptop running Linux) This effectively means that we could eventually have the entire Native Instrument ecosystem released on Linux now. That could be an impressive move. According to the NI site they already have Maschine, Massive, Reaktor and Kontakt ported over to the Linux OS in Maschine+...

12. GoaSkin

GoaSkin NI Product Owner

Linux is not unsupported because porting is hard but due to politics.

Native Access and some other software is based on the QT framework which is made to deploy native applications for various operating systems based on the same source. Including Linux. But they deploy it for "PC" (what means Windows) and Mac only.

13. Patrick Guillou

louislingg
    « Because the new Maschine + is basically a laptop running Linux »
    Where did you get this information ? I would like to read it with my own eyes :)
    GoaSkin
    Do you know what prevents NI to deploy all qt based software to Linux ? I would be soooooo happy to have my NI products available on Linux ...

14. John McMullen

John McMullen New Member

Its true. Maschine + is linux.
    NI doesn't support linux though because... reasons.
    I will be happy to give NI more money when it finally happens. Not before.

15. Patrick Guillou

Thanks... Indeed I read that in multiple Maschine+ news ...
    Sooo... they could support Linux but they won't because.... political or other obscure reasons... it's soooo frustrating !!! Please NI give us any good reason to not support Linux !!!!

16. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

It's not the same support "one embed linux for one dedicated intel atom quad board" than "linux" even it means just ubuntu or mint.

This is interesting and I'm researching what it means relative to new Apple silicon macs. It should be "straightforward" (aside UI) but my gut says "it will be some compromises on development". Almost it seems NI wasn't so "unready" to make it front (but maybe to dependent on Qt technologies...)

It could be possible release dedicated linux distro with NI apps? Could it be but debug all the possible hardware users will need to "install" makes it hard to "make it profitable". They had the same option porting some to iPad and it seems a parallel development with not so much integration in the desktop IMO. Also that "closed machines with dedicated Unix system" exist and are called... macs. :rolleyes:

17. Patrick Guillou

Yes I can understand that. My gess is that the linux kernel used for Maschine+ is pretty much a standard kernel tweeked for performance and hardware drivers, not for software compatibility. The software compatibility is ensured by librairies an technologies already used in softwares and that's why all NI vst's are not (yet?) working on Maschine+

If that is true (and it's a big IF) a dedicated distro is not necessary...

If we are only considering "software support" it might be profitable compared to the effort... the only good sampler available on linux is far behind Kontakt... If one want kontakt he buys Komplete...

By the way hardware support on mainstream linux distros is very good.

#stilldreaming ;-)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  18. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

I’m not sure due I haven’t enough knowledge/sources but my gut says that those assumptions are “unrealistic positive” and we could even miss some other points.

What’s clear for me is embed platforms such Elk require some adaptation to make them perform properly and it will still impossible to run full Maschine desktop software on these anyways.
    As days gone I see more clearly that Apple silicon is the way to go and maybe rosetta2 and universal2 are going to save the day for most developers...

19. matt789065

matt789065 New Member

Bitwig managed to support linux - ie any linux distro - and it runs well. I don't care if NI doesn't 'officially' support linux, what I' like is for them to create a basic set of install scripts that works on , say ubuntu /debian , that the community can then work with an support each other on. I din't know why they don't at least do that. THey don't need to put much effort in to that, and I suspect the linux community will pick up the hard work for them free of charge, some linux users buying more of their software in the process. Bitwig is gaining a lot of ground, and its linux support is superb. NI could tap into that with virtually no effort. Just give us a basic linux drivers an install script. You don't have to commit to supporting it beyond that.

• Like Like x 2
  20. matt789065

matt789065 New Member

It could be possible release dedicated linux distro with NI apps?

Yes, since thats basically what maschine+ is. If they gave us that, the rest of the linux community can figure out the rest to get it working on other distros if required. It would cost them little to release the linux parts for the rest of the community to tinker with

• Like Like x 2