Linux traktor

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by madinfo, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madinfo

madinfo Forum Member

why not? it's the most sable SO on earth, it as the most out of the box hardware support.
    Even audio dj 8 works on it...

2. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

LOL
    ---
    That was a waste of a wish, you've only got 2 left now

3. madinfo

madinfo Forum Member

please elaborate and tell me why
    ---
    currently i dont use any windows at all and i dont pay 1000 euros for a mac to have the same hardware of a 500 euros pc... and a crapy os... i have everything i need on linux... i only use windows for 3 things... traktor is one....

4. lethal_pizzle

Good for you.

Why no Linux Traktor? You know the answer as well as I do. Money. NI exists to make profit. Linux does not equal profit. Hence no Linux. But you knew that already.

5. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

Traktor on Linux is not gonna happen anytime soon. NI gave up Linux support for a reason (it's not profitable aorn).

Me thinks give Mixxx another two years or so and it's gonna be good enough for the majority of DJs, including part of the pros. I assume there will still be some specialized features some people require (just as some people today need Photoshop rather than Gimp). But, again, my guess is it's gonna be good enough for most. And it's gonna even gonna have some unique advantages due to its open-source nature.

Bottom line: the goal must be good open-source DJ soft, not a port of closed-source soft.

6. madinfo

madinfo Forum Member

don't see why not... there are plenty of companies that make non free software for linux.... doesn't need to be open source....

they have it on mac (pseudo unix) the source only need a few tweaks to run on linux...

about mix.... it does the job... its a simple software that make things happen :)

7. malzfreund

FYI, OS X is UNIX, Linux isn't (it's UNIX-like, though). After this^^^ post, I think you're just trolling, I'm outta this thread.

8. kiss-o-matic

kiss-o-matic Forum Member

Backwards. OS X is Unix-like (it's based on Next STep which is based on Free BSD). Linux is Unix, for all intents and purposes. They're botn *nix if you really want to get down to it.

As for the "a few tweaks" statement, that's definitely not the case (unfortunately). I would hope that Traktor is coded very generically, but there are some things that are platform specific, and there's no way around it.

I'd love a version on Linux, but it'll never happen.

9. malzfreund

No, you don't know what you're talking about.

Today, UNIX (while originally developed by Bell Labs) is a trademark owned by The Open Group. The Open Group has defined a "single UNIX specification." Only systems fully complying to this specification may call themselves UNIX (and only if they obtain a license).

It turns out Apple received such a license for OS X from 10.5 ("Leopard") onwards. See the Wikipedia article on OS X, it's stated in the second paragraph. Thus, OS X is every bit as much UNIX as, say, Solaris (by Sun now Oracle) or AIX (by IBM).

No Linux distribution, on the other hand, has received obtained a UNIX license. It is generally referred to as Unix-like. Again, feel free to double-check at Wikipedia.org or with any of the distributions. Linux generally strives to be compliant to the single UNIX specification (also referred to as POSIX). To that end, the Linux Standards Base (LSB) defines similar rules as the single UNIX specification. But, once again, it's similar, but not the same thing: no Linux distribution may call itself UNIX.

EDIT: in fact, if you knew a bit more about Linux, you would realize that GNU--an integral part of all major Linux distros--is a recursive acronym for "GNU's not UNIX!"

10. kiss-o-matic

Yeah, I've only been using Unix & Linux systems for 12 years. I'm clueless.

11. madinfo

madinfo Forum Member

Linux is bassed on Minix.... and minix is based on Unix... actually its from the same family and is uses BSD licence...

anyway kiss-o-matic linux people are never rigth, mac users are the best, os x is the best... u should know that already... i wonder why all mac users i know still use windows for one thing or another....

12. commentor

commentor Account Suspended

LOL, love this request. And NI might want to give it some thought. It's not going to be any less profitable in any way. In fact it could only amount to more profit down the line.

Just like adding a shuffle-mode to cruise mode, and smart-playlists. If they added those features even more consumers would buy their software (as a high-end and interactive music player) :) Considering the availability of alternate controllers like touch screen devices, etc.

13. lethal_pizzle

Can you explain how writing and supporting an application written for an operating system that hardly any DJs are going to use is going to amount to more profit?

14. malzfreund

Just noticed the nonsense written in this old thread.
    12 years of usage maybe but you haven't brought forward any facts ITT which are correct. Maybe it would help you to tune down your arrogance and do some actual research. For starters, you may want to read the Wikipedia entry on the Linux kernel. Hell, I even quote the first sentence of that article for you:
    You may notice that it says Unix-like there which means similar to Unix but not Unix.

Can't follow this logic.

Wat? I'm not a Mac user. That, however, doesn't change the fact that OS X is UNIX (since Leopard) while Linux (more precisely: GNU/Linux) isn't.

---

This

15. commentor

Lethal, are you speaking for all of us? LOL. We are only limited by what is available to us. I would use Linux with Traktor if Traktor was ported to Linux because Linux is more stable, period. And I'm not going to spend twice the price for MAC hardware for that stability. Also DJ's are not the only people interested in using Traktor. If NI wants to sell more product they should think about that, instead of limiting themselves to a specific demographic.

Btw, ever think that Disabled/Handicapped or Physically challenged people might want to use Traktor also? (I say this because I have heard that Linux is the preferred OS in that respect because of it's stability and it's harder to mess up).

As for Linux itself, the OS might be free, but it doesnt mean that the software has to be. So in no way does porting it to Linux equal less profit.

16. kiss-o-matic

It would still be a massive undertaking to port and test, with a fraction of the users on the Mac & PC. Who knows how much of the underlying code is written in something portable? I would like to think it's C, but who knows. The graphics engine would probably be a beast, and you have to deal with multiple window managers which can indeed muck up the works. Unlike other Unix systems like OS X which have zero configurability on that front.

Would like to see it, but it ain't gonna happen.

17. commentor

There is way too much negativity in this world, lol.

If it runs under MAC and PC then I'm sure it can run under linux (with some work of course).

Why would you have to deal with multiple Window Managers? You can run whichever window manager you want in linux. Wether gnome or kde or whatever. NI can just pick the post popular one, or the one that is the easiest to work with.

With a little tweaking they could even make it run under Wine if they wanted.

Obviously they won't pursue it unless they are convinced it's worth it, but I don't see how saying "Would like to see it, but it ain't gonna happen" is going to help.

If you want to see it happen, maybe you could state some constructive or positive feedback as to why you would like to see it happen.

18. lethal_pizzle

No. But I'm assuming you've already got a Traktor license, so NI are going to get the same amount of money from you out of a Linux conversion as from me: $0. Neither of our voices have an economic value to NI really.

I don't understand this at all. I don't see much of a market for a £180 'high end media player'. There are already many well-featured free options for Win, MacOS and Linux. Sorry.

I would imagine that they would. I would guess the attractiveness of having a system that 'is harder to mess up' might depend on the disability. I'm sure the majority of disabled people are just as capable of running the same crappy operating system as everyone else. Linux may be more attractive to some, sure.

NI dropped Linux support 7 years ago with Traktor Final Scratch 1.5. It isn't economically viable to port Traktor to Linux. The market doesn't lie; there is no market. Now you may say the NI is going to create a market by making the product, however I don't think the tail is going to wag the dog in this case.

NI thinks the same; their viewpoint is expressed here:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85251&highlight=linux

Completely agree. However I reckon the overiding question at meetings regarding Linux versions of NI products (of which there are currently none) is not regarding 'positivity or negativity', but rather; 'does it make good business sense'?

What you need is a popular groundswell of people new to DJing and wanting to buy a new Traktor license but only willing to do so on Linux, or people wanting to switch from the free software mixxx.

And of course people with existing Traktor licenses could refuse to pay to upgrade their software unless it is released on Linux. This is where YOU can put your money where your mouths are and make a difference, commentor and madinfo.

Ultimately you need enough new linux dependant licenses and upgrades to support the development and support costs. So let's see it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  19. kiss-o-matic

The politically correct statement in the development world is, "You can do anything... it just depends on how many resources you want to put into it". In this case, it would require lots of resources for little reward.

You basically just answered your own question. Windows managers do not all behave the same. NI can pick to support one (KDE for example) and then some wonky bug comes along and pisses off all the Gnome (or whatever) users. Catch my drift? It's not impossible, but it is work that has to be done for a commercial product.

It's not a matter of helping, it's just a matter of stating the obvious. I spend 95% of my time on a Linux box. I'd love to see it happen. I just know I won't.

20. lethal_pizzle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.