1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Live MasterClass: Patching A Buchla-Style Synth In NI Reaktor

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by dcoffin, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I did the usual sort and compress, that usually works, so I'm wondering do they have automation ID's at all? This isn't simply a controller issue but also impacts on automation in hosts so don't worry about not having Kore to test, just test host automation.

Same problem in Bitwig incidentally, which also uses host automation not midi cc to map to controllers. I want to do it that way, dragging midi cc is possible but limited as I can't map it once and save that as a template and only have 8 knobs whereas the Kore/Bitwig approach enables me to create a map with several user pages and so have a setup that covers everything.

2. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

OK looking at the settings tab I think that is correct, Lyrebird knobs don't have automation IDs and don't actually appear to be automatable, the 'connect' tab is greyed out so I can't even give them IDs. The only bits that are automatable are the generic knobs and faders on the other blocks used in the ensemble.

3. dcoffin

dcoffin NI Product Owner

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  4. MatthewFriedrichs

MatthewFriedrichs NI Product Owner

There are two main parts to a Lyrebird knob. The mouse area, and then the secret standard Reaktor knob. This hidden knob is what needs to be checked. The knobs I have looked at all have Automation enabled as well as a unique ID. The mouse area is what allows the modulation amount sliders and the knob to take up the same space, but I knew modulating those is not possible, so I added the extra knob as I also like to modulate from MIDI sources. They should also work with OSC.

5. MatthewFriedrichs

I just checked with FL studio, and VST host automation is working. Can another Bitwig user confirm that host automation does not work? Just to confirm, I did not use MIDI or OSC, but host automation.

6. artao

artao NI Product Owner

WELL HELL!!!
    Apparently the lecture isn't archived and available to watch. I thought someone said it was going to be.
    Oh well. :(

7. MatthewFriedrichs

It is currently being cut up and arranged into parts for easier viewing. :) It will be available when that is done. These things are better live as you get to ask questions and have them answered live.

8. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I just tried, how are you writing automation? If I do it the normal way (ie automation write enabled, move knobs with mouse) nothing gets recorded. Same with trying to assign knobs to the controller panels. You say there are hidden knobs but if I can't access them through the host or the controller can't see them then not sure how to use them.

9. artao

artao NI Product Owner

Ah. Righto. That makes sense.
    I wasn't awake when it was live. I've been up very late and sleeping during the day, as I've been working on a music video for one of my songs.
    Thanks! :D

10. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...I don't have the ensemble, but in such cases you can either search for hidden controls in the structure view (if things are properly labelled), select them and make them visible again via a switch in the View tab. Or you could use the panel (if things are hidden under a Mouse Area) - you unlock the panel in Edit Mode, move the Mouse Area aside for the time-being, select what's underneath and make it visible as well.

11. MatthewFriedrichs

You will have to use the drop down list of parameters. This will give you access to every knob. Start the video at 3 minutes.

12. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Thanks - I didn't even know that existed, I usually just record automation as I use a control in realtime. Wonder if I can use that to also create a Bitwig device map for it? Won't work in Kore unfortunately but at least it will enable me to control it through Bitwig.

13. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Thanks, tried this but it doesn't seem to be one separate layer but rather lots of tiny elements so I made a complete mess of it, this isn't going to work.

14. MatthewFriedrichs

That should work. From there you should be able to automate it from the track or connect it to hardware. Let me know if you run into any other problems!

15. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Actually that gave me a clue, because it's not continuous there are tiny little gaps where the hidden layer 'pokes' through, locating those enabled me to click on the hidden real knob and map it - fiddly work as it took a lot of clicking round to find the precise spot but it's enabled me to make a Kore template

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5646041/Kore Templates/Lyrebird template.ksd

16. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...like I said, I don't have the ensemble, but it looks quite complex and I don't know how it looks internally. It was just where to look in general, if you can't access some controls.

17. dcoffin

dcoffin NI Product Owner

Latest Lyrebird demo:

• Like Like x 1
  18. dcoffin

dcoffin NI Product Owner

And another:

19. dcoffin

dcoffin NI Product Owner

Part Three:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

David, do you know something about Mike Roman aka hippymulehead and his System 63 in Reaktor Blocks?