1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Live MasterClass: Patching A Buchla-Style Synth In NI Reaktor

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by dcoffin, Jul 23, 2017.

1. dcoffin

dcoffin NI Product Owner

(Weird—I'm SURE I replied to this on Saturday…?)

Anyway, sorry Paule; no I don't know anything about it, except having heard about it a few times over the years; it always interested me, but seemed like it was never really about to be released. Do you know anything more?

2. mpl

mpl NI Product Owner

there is a thread on muff wigglers that implied the dev was having health problems

3. dcoffin

dcoffin NI Product Owner

Sorry to hear it :(

4. MatthewFriedrichs

MatthewFriedrichs NI Product Owner

I just looked this up. The website in the Youtube video description links now points to some sportswear store.

5. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

6. MatthewFriedrichs

Looks good overall. Here's to hoping it gets released. I will say that releasing something strong with updates down the line woks very well for me. Mostly the part where I can work out small chunks of time to work on the next module.

7. Exiannyc

Exiannyc NI Product Owner

Matthew, I picked up Lyrebird - many thanks for the generous discount, which people should jump on - and I just want to sincerely thank you for creating a genius system of modulation that is more intricate than anything I've ever seen in Reaktor. I am still trying to wrap my head around it, but, it is so far beyond having a modulation input for every single knob on the front of the block (which is all I used to dream of), that I'm completely dazzled. It really is the portal to the Multiverse.

Thanks also to David Coffin for the very helpful and detailed tutorial videos.

Dear Reaktor friends, Matthew also wrote what IMO is some of the most wonderful Arduino code available for the Soundmachines Nanosynth NS1. It creates a voltage-modulatable LFO. http://www.sound-machines.it/forums/topic/modlfo-firmware-for-ns1/ (The NS1 is a very full featured modular synth the size of a business letter envelope, which costs about 1/10 of what a comparable modular system would, and it includes a programmable Arduino chip that can become anything you program it to be. Thanks to Matthew mine now has the one feature I thought the NS1 was missing.)

Apparently Matthew's agenda is, let a thousand modulations bloom. I am so grateful. Rock on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. MatthewFriedrichs

I'm very happy that you enjoy my work, Christian! I'm even working on an update to the Lyrebird Multiverse knobs that gets rid of the right click and allows for all 819 parameters to be addressed via VST host automation. So not quite up to 1000 modulations yet. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brett Lavallee

Brett Lavallee NI Product Owner

When I am done my new music (a few weeks from now, I think,) I want to make a synth with this system. I admit I didn't try very hard, but I couldn't figure it out.

A short guide with a couple screenshots might be helpful. Maybe a tutorial like 'how to convert the bento vca using the developer's kit' would be good.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brett Lavallee

Brett Lavallee NI Product Owner

download.jpg
    Wow that looks amazing! This looks like a glimpse of the future to me. I wish I had money, but oh well, at least I have Reaktor!

I imagine you save a lot on your electric bill as well.

11. MatthewFriedrichs

I'm glad to hear that you want to make something, Brett! I will be making the new knobs as fast as possible, so please wait for those. That way you don't have to convert to the new ones like I do.

The NS1 is great fun, but can be a bit of a pain to use compared to a full modular. If it was the same voltage level of Eurorack, I would have several.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MatthewFriedrichs

The final layout for Lyrebird with the new knobs. From 3U tall and 12Hp wide to 5U tall and 20Hp wide. The A view gets rid of the color hints, so then it looks just like the Original Lyrebird.
    Final Panel For Real.png

• Like Like x 2
  13. prof_lofi

prof_lofi NI Product Owner

Does anyone know how this compares with Aalto? I love that synth so not sure I need to duplicate my options. Lyrebird looks excellent tho.

14. MatthewFriedrichs

I know how it compares, but you may consider my input biased. ;)

If I had to pick the killer feature, Lyrebird can load samples as oscillators. You can then turn any sample into a wavetable just by simply turning on the smooth knob. You can also use the amazing and free software Wave Edit to generate an infinite number of samples to use with Lyrebird. You can also load samples into the Pulser/LFO of Lyrebird. Aalto can not do this. You can totally change a patch just by loading in another sample.

The other major feature is that it is 100% compatible with all Reaktor blocks. You can easily load in any other block you want and directly overwrite the internal routing. If you want to replace the 5 step sequencer with one of my 64 step sequencers, you can.

Finally, Lyrebird's spring reverb is much better than the Aalto reverb. What really gives a Buchla Music Easel its presence in a live show is the spring verb. I made sure that the reverb in Lyrebird did the same and was not some re-hashed algorithm.

At the end of the day, the two signal paths are similar but not the same. Lyrebird is closer to the original source material. For example, Aalto does not have two low pass gates where as Lyrebird does. Lyrebird lets you replace parts of the signal path where as you can not do that with Aalto. Oh and Lyrebird is half the price of Aalto. That is pretty cool too. :)

Just for that last cherry on top, it also comes with 5 other blocks.