LM4 & Battery import - what happened?

Discussion in 'KOMPAKT' started by bezza, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bezza

bezza New Member

I am very disappointed having ordered Kompakt to discover that the LM4 and Battery importability was shelved! Obviously this was pretty late in the day as it states in the manual that it supports this and even states so on the pdf brochure on the NI site (as late as yesterday at least).

One of the main reasons I bought Kompakt was to use as a drum machine (I was going to buy Linplug's RMV). Does anyone know why the change of heart and whether NI intend to rectify this pretty poor mistake with an update?

This is my first NI purchase and despite the gripes, I like it. But I feel they may have annoyed quite a few buyers with the LM4 Battery error. Anyone feel the same?

2. clydeb11

clydeb11 New Member

i would email online support, kompakt claims import and compatibility with both battery and lm4. maybe you are missing something...

3. bezza

bezza New Member

I have done and told them that their online brochure is wrong. Trouble is so is their Operation Manual. I wonder if at the last minute they decided that such importability made it too similar to Kontakt? Or perhaps they were rushing?

The manual talks about the mad boffins adding stuff at the last minute - seems like the reverse also applies!

Still, that's no good to people like me. I really do consider it a fundamental error. I hope they do the decent thing and bring out an update to allow LM4 and Battery import.

4. clydeb11

clydeb11 New Member

if ni is indeed "false advertising", something should be done IMMEDIATELY to remedy the issue.

5. bezza

bezza New Member

I have just checked my copy of the CD Rom that the Reaktor Session Carbon freebie came on from Future Music...and yes, the LM4 and Battery importability is listed on there too!!

And still no word from NI about the matter!

6. bezza

bezza New Member

Notified on the 3rd of the error, now the 6th yet still the website is wrong. Still no response to my email.

7. palindrome

palindrome NI Product Owner

This is my first NI product and my last. NI's bait and switch tactic
    is unforgivable. I have never had such poor service from a company, I don't know if this is typical for NI but I'm not going to stick around to find out. I was going to upgrade to kontakt, but not after this bulls***. I can't support a company that has such disregard for it's user base.

8. bezza

bezza New Member

Whilst I don't feel quite as strongly as that, there is a taste of deceit in all this from NI which I don't like.

Moreover, if you read the online Kompakt tutorial, there is an immediate plug to upgrade to Kontakt - basically saying that Kompakt is limited and not up to the job...but thanks for your money! Tutorials are supposed to help people, not highlight the deficiencies of a users new purchase, surely?

9. bezza

bezza New Member

The Dream

Kompakt manual quote - "Kompakt offers flexibility and compatibility unlike any other software sampler" Gosh, doesn't it sound good!Goes on to list Battery as the first of its importable formats.

The Reality

Quote from the Kompakt online tutorial - "If you'd like to dive deeper into creating your own instruments, using a a convenient mapping editor with velocity switching and crossfades, overlapping keyzones, individual sample tuning and a convenient loop editor, we recommend you purchase the KONTAKT Special Offer, NIs' full-featured soft sampler, which far exceeds the possibilities of KOMPAKT."

So much for flexibility unlike any other software sampler...and of course, offering the LM4 and Battery importability that Kompakt was going to have till NI changed their minds!

Incidentally, if Linplug's RMF FREEware drum sampler can accept LM4 kits, why not Kompakt?

10. bezza

bezza New Member

Hurray! Native finally remove the offending pdf brochure. All they have to do now is inform the music press and dealers that Kompakt will not accept LM4 and Battery kits. An addendum to the operation manual would be helpful too.

Despite this result I have still not yet had a reply from Native personally!!!

11. op416

op416 NI Product Owner

I would demand a refund.

For far too long NI has been doing this. Saying things will be there and they in fact are not. Or further promising things which will be part and never quite make it into :(

It is time for NI to get its head out of its ass and sort out a realistic approach to marketing instead of saying what people want to hear in order to get the fast cash grab.

Glad i held off on purchasing Kompakt. After the continued falsehoods, promises etc. What a shame (on NI that is)

12. bezza

bezza New Member

...and just when I thought they had done something about correcting the incorrect information (by removing the pdf brochure) take a look at the features overview page - it is STILL INCORRECT!!! How many people are being misled by this information like me?

13. bezza

bezza New Member

Well, now everything on the site is corrected. At least that's done. As for me...the dealer very kindly agreed to offer a refund which I have have accepted. Linplug RMV now ordered.

I hope one day to maybe use Native software in my work as I know it is very capable - Absynth and Reaktor Session sound fantastic from what I have heard - but I will need some convincing that customer support has improved. I am sure it will.

Goodbye and good luck. I may be back.

Bezza

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.