Loading EXS instruments broken - SOLUTION PROVIDED!

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Frank P., Feb 20, 2018.

1. Frank P.

Frank P. NI Product Owner

Hi,
    is there a way to open (logic) exs sampler instruments with Kontakt 5?
    I know that kontakt should opens exs files, but it is also known that kontakt quits when opening some newer exes files.
    any idea?
    thanx for help.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

This feature has unfortunately been broken for some time now...

3. forestcaver

forestcaver NI Product Owner

I raised a support ticket late last year and it was closed after support reproduced it, as they said that it only affected me and no-one else as no-one else had reported it. (I provided .exs files and lots of information). It really annoyed me that they thought it was acceptable for their application to crash 100% of the time on many separate .exs imports. Really lowered my opinion of NI. (I even pointed out it was a known issue and was discussed on the forums - but it didn’t make any difference).

4. Frank P.

Frank P. NI Product Owner

I am also very disappointed about this bug. i think it depends on newer created Logic exs files. and NI hasn't updated the import funtionality of kontakt.

this happens to everyone(!) how want to import a exs instrument which is f.e. created in the "auto-sampler" of Apples MainStage.

The auto-sampler plug in of MainStage is a killer tool to capture your analog (midi) synths into a exs instrument. but loading those exs files are alway quits kontakt 5.

5. forestcaver

Exactly how I create the .exs files (MainStage Autosampler of modular synth). Every file generated this way crashes Kontakt. It’s really poor....
    I’m moving away from NI slowly - pretty much don’t use Maschine any more. I’m using Live pretty exclusively now. I am considering upgrading to 10 Suite - primarily to get Sampler (but would need to check these .exs files will import to Sampler).
    I only check on these boards now to see if there is any more info on Kontakt (updates/bug fixes - primarily for this bug)

6. EvilDragon

I think the main problem here is that NI relies on 3rd party tools for sampler format conversion (from Chicken Systems, AFAIK), and this particular part wasn't updated in a while. The actual reason behind why's that, I don't know.

7. forestcaver

Thanks EvilDragon.... (it’s just a shame I got bs from support !)

8. forestcaver

Does anyone know of any free software to convert exs to Kontakt (or an intermediate format) please ? (Given that NI seem incapable or unwilling to fix a crash in Kontakt that is crippling my workflow).

I just can’t justify (or afford) buying the Chicken Sys translator when there is no demo version to check if it can convert MainStage-generated exs files and it’s impossible to know how long it would continue to support translation of file formats that are prone to change.

I use Ableton (non-suite) and am wondering if Sampler will load the MainStage files - does anyone know ? If so, I may consider upgrading to Suite or buying Sampler standalone...

9. forestcaver

Looking at their website it looks like cdxtract is commercial s/w, not free... is that right? I couldnt see a functional free version....

10. EvilDragon

You won't get that kind of functionality for free...

11. forestcaver

It’s just so frustrating to have to pay for functionality that should be (and is advertised as being) in Kontakt. My main concern with 3rd party s/w is that if the format changes my money is down the drain....

Anyone know what Ableton Sampler support is like ? Thanks...

12. forestcaver

Hi EvilDragon! I’ve been searching for previous threads relating to this problem. I noticed you said it was introduced around version 5.4. Do you know which is the latest version that worked please ? I’m looking at downgrading to try it out. I presume to downgrade I need to email support to get hold of Kontakt 5.0 and then install the correct upgrades ? (First renaming the Kontakt binary to something else....). (I couldn’t find the base install file on the NI website - only the upgrade versions.... unless the “Player” file should be installed and then upgraded....) Do I need to rename any other files on MacOs other than the .app ??? Many thanks for advice....

13. EvilDragon

Hmm, I am not sure which version is the last one that worked. I don't have any EXS instruments to try it out (and I do have different subversions of Kontakt here). If you can send me a small EXS file to test, that'd be great.

14. forestcaver

Thanks a lot ED - tried to send you a PM but it says I can’t start a conversation with you !

15. EvilDragon

Just upload it to Dropbox or Google Drive and paste the link here, that'll do. :)

16. forestcaver

:)
    Hadn’t realised this forum accepted file uploads ! Cool !
    Here it is: (I tried it in 5.3.1 as well as the latest version). Thanks a lot....
    Andy

Attached Files:

17. EvilDragon

That file opens just fine in Kontakt 4.2.4. It doesn't open in the oldest K5 version that I have, which is 5.1.0.

Now, from what I can see, the two DLLs (can only speak from Windows perspective, sorry) in charge for format conversion did have their filesize changed between K4 and K5 (KConvert32.dll and KConvert64.dll)... and when I replace those used by K5 with the ones that K4 uses... EXS file opens without crashing in K5 too! Iiiiinteresting. :)

EDIT: I have been going about testing this in the wrong way. I have multiple Kontakt executables, but they are all drawing from the same KConvert DLLs (which are from the latest version). I'll go through each Kontakt version and try their KConvert DLLs to see which is the latest Kontakt version where EXS conversion still works. Stay tuned...

CONCLUSIVE INFO: Kontakt version which contains the latest working KConvert DLLs is version 5.1.0. Version 5.2.0 and onwards already contains the DLLs which crash when trying to load EXS instruments.

But, you do NOT have to revert to this old version! You just need the KConvert DLLs (or whatever their counterpart on macOS would be, probably some component files, but they likely have the same filename!). So, go here and download the 5.1.0 update. Do not install it, just extract the files from the installer (there's a free program for that on Windows, and installers on Mac are just archives basically anyways, so just decompress those DMGs or whatever they are, and look for KConvert). Then, look for location of KConvert files on your system, overwrite them with the 5.1.0 versions, boom, job done!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. forestcaver

Brilliant! Thanks for your help!

19. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

Thanks for posting these details. I will forward on to Native Instruments.

EDIT: Oh sorry, ED, just saw that was you who wrote that. Presumably you have already let NI know.

20. EvilDragon

Yes, I have posted my findings on Centercode.

• Informative Informative x 1