1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Loading presets deletes snapshot banks in Razor

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Kymeia, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

This is weird, I just got the XENOS bank for Razor and it comes in the new preset format - not used it before. I had made a new copy of Razor saved as an ensemble with a couple of other third party banks in already (these were snapshot banks). However when I load any preset the additional snapshot banks disappear and only the default ones remain.

Also I would prefer to resave the presets as a snapshot bank but they don't even appear in the snapshot list and it seems all I can do is load them one by one from the browser which is a pain.

2. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

I think this is like the KSD problem for Kore - the preset format for Maschine may have the ensemble path coded in it, so when you load the preset you load the library copy? Just guessing, I don't use the preset format at all.

3. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

That's what it looks like - which is ridiculous. The preset loading is very slow which implies that's just what it's doing each time, I don't see how NI expect anyone to use them this way?

4. TabSel

TabSel NI Product Owner

as stated in the 5.7 addendum:
    So, there needs to be an "import preset(s) to snapshot(s)" functionality, or you temporarily replace the library Razor with you own, load a preset (which then loads you Razor with your Patch Banks), store the snapshot, save the ensemble, load the next preset... Etc...

Afterwards replace the library Razor with the original lib Razor again...

5. lunatic_machinist

lunatic_machinist Forum Member

yeah, this sucks. I am using reaktor player on another pc where I've made quite a lot of presets and saved them using this new format, but unfortunately I can't load them in any way using the full reaktor as the presets depend on the player version of ensembles. quite the poopie in NI's garden.

6. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

So what is the best way to transport presets? Export snapshot banks? I tried exporting Spark presets I made in Kore to use outside of Kore but it didn't work.

7. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

.nrkt, are Reaktor 'Presets' and were afaik designed to enable Reaktor Player users to save their edits of the 'Player' Instruments so that they can be used in different DAWs.

.nrkt, files can also be used with the full version of Reaktor.

fwiw, if i launch Reaktor - with a New Ens - and choose Open Preset in the File Dropdown, the Player version of Razor - .rkpir - is loaded.

@Kymeia, i would suggest that you ask XENOS, to create a bank of Reaktor Snapshots in addition to the .nrkt for full Reaktor owners.

:confused: this makes no sense to me, if you have the latest versions of Razor and Reaktor on both computers you should not have any problems. why do you need Reaktor Player on one computer and not the full version of Reaktor?

EDIT! even if i have my 'Ens' version of Razor open and choose one of XENOS' 'Presets' it open the 'Player' version of Razor.

sowari

sowari

8. lunatic_machinist

first of all, the other computer only has reaktor player on it, since I don't do any serious music work there, it's a weaker single core machine, I just use it in my free time for some noodles and random sound design. reaktor player suffices for that.

secondly, I don't have razor. I'm talking mostly about carbon2. You can't load presets using the factory library version of carbon2 if they were made with the reaktor player version of it. since I have amassed quite a bit of sounds there, it is quite the pita for me.

the gist of this is that NI's .nrkt format is a rather sub-par preset implementation. I imagine if someone made .nrkt presets for, say, carbon2 using the full reaktor, then those with reaktor player still wouldn't be able to load them.

9. sowari

okay, thanks for the clarification.

could you upload one of your Carbon2 .nrkt presets so i can try this for myself please.

sowari

10. lunatic_machinist

sure thing.

Attached Files:

11. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

That's crazy - it's a PITA as it is having to load them one by one from Finder, what a load of hassle.

OK so how do I load a Razor preset into a copy of Razor that already has a couple of new banks in? Every time I load a preset the ensemble reverts back to one that doesn't have any third party snapshots in, including the ones I saved previously. This is impossible

12. TabSel

TabSel NI Product Owner

Of course, but hey, its not my fault, Im just trying to help... ;)

13. losan

losan Forum Member

I did it this way:

-loading Razor.rkplr into Reaktor
    -Side pane>select Snapshot tab
    (make sure the Razor Ensemble is selected in the Selection menu for snapshots at the top)
    -go to Edit>new bank>rename it accordingly
    -browse to the presets folder in the browser tab
    -load the first preset
    -switch back to the snapshot tab, click "Append" two times
    -switch back to the browser tab, select the next preset
    -switch back to the snapshot tab, again "Append" two times
    -switch back to the browser tab... etc.

After doing this for all presets I saved the Razor.rkplr as an Razor.ens
    (I usually leave the original files unmodified)
    and also exported the bank as an ssf-file (Snapshot bank)
    (Snapshot tab>Edit>Save Bank).

If you already have a saved Razor.ens, import the ssf-file into it:

In the snapshot tab first create a new empty bank
    (Edit>new Bank), then load the ssf-file into it.
    (Edit>load Bank).
    Save the ensemble.

Done and Cheers

14. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Thanks - I worked it out myself in the end. The whole system is stupid, you have to basically accept that it will not load your saved version if you load a preset and work within that limitation. Snapshots are still the best format for Reaktor patches if you have the full version.

15. sowari

i can confirm that a full Reaktor user cannot load a preset created using a Reaktor Player version. see pic

this is indeed a problem, so i will report this to NI.

thanks for your help :)

sowari

Attached Files:

16. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I see this is still a problem in Reaktor 5.9 - I am trying to load presets into a Razor 1.5 ensemble version saved with several addon banks and every time I load a preset it reverts back to the player version that has no banks. Very frustrating!

17. Tim York

Tim York NI Product Owner

Yep, I'm running into the same problems as stated in these posts. The preset system is pretty useless while each preset is tied to a particular ensemble, particularly with ensembles that take a while to load like Razor. I'm glad I didn't spend too much time saving snapshots before finding this out. As already stated, saving snapshots within the ensemble is the best way to go..

18. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Yes when this first started I lost a bunch of snapshots I created because I loaded a preset and it just closed the ensemble I was working in to load the default one the preset expected without even asking. It's clear presets are just for people using the player version, who won't be dealing with multiple versions of the same ensemble. Anyone using the full Reaktor should stick with snapshots and if you get files in preset format get them converted to snapshots.

• Informative Informative x 1