LPX not recognising S88 MK2 - SOLVED

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by edweb, Jun 9, 2019.

1. edweb

edweb New Member

OS 10.13.6
    LPX 10.4.4
    KK 2.1.2

LPX is NOT recognising S88.
    KK standalone works.
    Mac Firewall disabled, all NI agents running, all software up to date (see above).

Clueless after hours of install, re-install, restarts, clearing plists etc etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Adil @ NI

Adil @ NI KOMPLETE TEAM NI Team

Hello,

NIHostIntegrationAgent or the Logic Control Surface Plug-in may not have been deployed correctly on your computer, or may have become corrupt. Please try the following:

- Remove Komplete Kontrol from your computer by following the steps in this article.
    - Delete the folder Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨Native Instruments⁩ ▸ ⁨Hardware⁩
    -
    Navigate to Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨your-user-name ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Preferences⁩ and delete the file com.apple.logic.pro.cs (note that your user library may be hidden)
    - Reinstall Komplete Komplete from Native Access

Following this, Komplete Kontrol should attempt to connect to Logic Pro X on its next launch - there should be no need to add it manually. If this does not work, please contact NI Customer Support and select SOFTWARE HELP, KOMPLETE KONTROL and GET TECH SUPPORT. I hope this helps.

Best,
    Adil

3. edweb

edweb New Member

Thanks, Adil. Done step-by-step three times, same result - LPX still not recognising S88 MK2. Hoping for Tech Support, otherwise the board goes back.

4. edweb

edweb New Member

In addition to the above:

-Updated LPX to latest version (10.4.5)

-Uninstalled ALL USB peripherals & software

-Un- and Re-installed all related NI software (Native Access, Komplete Kontrol, Service Center).

-Cleaned out / removed all Application Support, Plug-Ins, Preferences and other related folders / files

-Disabled & re-configured Firewall settings.

-Used 3 different USB ports (On computer, not via Hub).

STILL NOT WORKING. LPX is NOT recognising the S88 MK2.

Vendor also refuses to take back the board, saying if the board works in stand-alone this is an Apple issue, not NI.

I am also posting this on Apple Forum.

5. edweb

edweb New Member

I've spent hours on end removing / uninstalling / re-installing / cleaning up my system of various softwares - NI, Logic (older and newest version), peripherals, plugins, A/V etc etc........nothing has worked.

I've now manually added the S88 MK2 through the control surface-> setup etc command. As a result & at first sight, KK seems to work as a wrapper for AU, but the transport controls don't work (even though the transport buttons send MIDI signal, which Logic is receiving). What's next......?!?

Anyway, screen shots shows 1. S88 shows up after adding it manually (top part) and 2. LPX still cannot scan / read S88 (italic vs regular font; bottom part)

Just for info - everything is working fine in Cubase Artist 10. And besides the initial feedback from Anil, zero NI support.

Attached Files:

6. edweb

edweb New Member

Next one.....

Having manually added the S88 as a control surface, now when I load one instance of KK & insert an instrument (which works), the following occurs:

The transport keys of the S88 are 'mapped' to the keyboard - REC is C5, STOP is B4, PLAY is A4 (the sound of the instrument loaded in KK can be heard when pressing the transport keys). So LPX is obviously receiving MIDI from the S88 but the wrong info.

I've not given up hope yet, but this is total absolute buzz kill - not sure anymore if this board is really worth all this bother.

7. edweb

edweb New Member

....and the next one:

Whenever I open Logic & got to "Control Surfaces" I can see the S88 listed, but with the caption "illegal input" under MIDI IN. Screenshot is attached for reference. So if I change MIDI IN to Kontrol DAW or to Kontrol Input 1 or 2 or to "any", nothing BUT the keyboard works. Transport, Browse, Mixer, Jog wheel etc not working.

To note I have now also setup the S88 for Ableton 10, and everything works just fine.

Attached Files:

8. Adil @ NI

Adil @ NI KOMPLETE TEAM NI Team

Hello,

Thanks for the update - the 'illegal input' caption is very odd (not something I've seen before). Troubleshooting this requires a closer look at your machine, which cannot be done via the forum. Please contact NI Customer Support - lead times are currently a little slow, but you will be assisted by an agent who should be able to get this working.

Best,
    Adil

9. edweb

edweb New Member

iMac 12,2
    HS 10.13.6
    LPX 10.4.6
    KK 2.13

For what it's worth.....after a 1-hour remote support session with NI last week (no result, other than recommending OS re-install) and days on end of countless un- and re-installs, including Mac OS, removal of anything peripheral- and / or other security related, etc etc here's the result:

- LPX: KK as a plugin works BUT the transport controls and jog wheel do NOT. Transport controls remain MIDI mapped to and trigger sounds of whatever instrument is loaded within KK (see screenshots)

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 18.42.40.png Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 18.46.21.png
    - Ableton: KK as a plugin AND transport controls work
    - Cubase: KK as a plugin AND transport controls work

NI says it's an Apple issue, Apple says nothing. My last option would now be an OS upgrade (new GPU so could install patched 10.14) OR completely wipe the HD and start everything from scratch (1.6 TB of data).

.....but I am done for now. After all, I bought the S88 MK2 to make music, not play computer technician.

10. edweb

edweb New Member

They say sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees......
    Well, this thing just kept nagging me, and I stumbled across an old video for an MPK mapping within LPX.
    So within Key Commands I deleted the listed S88 controller assignments for Play, Stop, Rec, Rewind and Forward and re-mapped them manually......and all now works as intended.
    Still don't understand why this re-mapping was necessary in the first place or if this has altered or affected anything else......we'll see.