M3U unicode support?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR DJ (for iPhone and iPad)' started by kwinther, Sep 1, 2013.

1. kwinther

kwinther Forum Member

Hi,
    When I export playlists in M3U format from Traktor Pro and import them to iTunes for use in Traktor DJ I loose all my tracks that contains special characters such as Ç, æ, ø, å in file name or folder name. They are all translated to ? in the M3U file.

Is there any way to get around that?

2. fistpump

fistpump Forum Member

As far as I know, .m3u does not support unicode. .m3u8 does, though.

3. kwinther

kwinther Forum Member

.m3u8 is a UTF-8 version of the M3U format. .m3u files can have various encodings so it must be the encoding within Traktor Pro that are different from the .nml files.

4. fistpump

fistpump Forum Member

This is incorrect. .m3u must be encoded as Windows-1252. Of course, you can go for a different encoding but then the .m3u does not meet the standard.

5. kwinther

kwinther Forum Member

Ok, so the only way for me to get my Traktor Pro playlists correctly into Traktor DJ is if Traktor Pro could save in .m3u8 format. NI please please please.

6. kwinther

kwinther Forum Member

I made this small program for Windows which can convert the Traktor Pro .NLM exported playlist files to .M3U8-files.

[​IMG]

Now I can get all my tracks onto iPad. I'll try to make it public later.

7. kwinther

kwinther Forum Member

If anyone's interested I have made this small tool that will extract all the playlists from the Traktor Pro collection.nml file and save them into separate .m3u8 files for import to iTunes:

[​IMG]

It can be installed from here: http://www.kwmusik.dk/Traktor and will run on Windows only. There will be no MAC version, sorry.

8. fistpump

fistpump Forum Member

Sweet!

9. djgrp

djgrp NI Product Owner

Is the reverse process possible? I create my playlists using Tag & Rename, and cannot import them to Traktor as the characters are garbled (they are not in English letters).

Perhaps with an m3u8->NLM utility?