1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

[MAC ONLY] Bog downs? Performance decrease? Check this out...

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by Spyral, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

This TIP for system maintenance and performance has been verified to be legit by Apple Support. I called them before trying it and they said it IS a legitimate thing to do, however to be careful when doing it. PLEASE, I mean it, PLEASE read this entire post before doing this TIP. I am not responsible for your errors!

For all our Mac users...I have a trick for you if you seem to be noticing a decrease in system performance. There are some built in scripts that are supposed to run at a certain time (time varies by machine). If your machine is not running when these scripts are scheduled to run, they simply won't run. Try running them manually by entering the following in "Terminal" on your machine:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

This runs all three of the system maintenance scripts manually. You can run these individually as well via:

sudo periodic daily
    sudo periodic weekly
    sudo periodic monthly

PLEASE NOTE! DOUBLE CHECK YOUR TYPING BEFORE HITTING ENTER! A simply typo CAN cause a LOT of problems for you. For those of you who know *NIX operating systems, "sudo" is a VERY, and I repeat, VERY powerful command and can wreak havok on a system. So please, if you decide to use this TIP, do so with caution as I am not responsible for your user error. Once again, DOUBLE CHECK your typing before you hit enter and make sure it is typed 100% correctly.

After hitting enter, it WILL ask for your administrator password, this is to ENSURE that you are sure about doing this command, and also gives you ONE LAST CHANCE to check your typing.

2. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

I use macjanitor to do this, and I actually remember to do that. ;) Its free and downloadable from VersionTracker.com

Phil

3. imianwilliams

imianwilliams NI Product Owner

another freeware tool that manages these scripts is Onyx.

either of these have got to be a better option than typing stuff you don't really understand in Terminal.

4. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

Well blah at the both of you!

5. pixeltrance

pixeltrance Forum Member

There are *many* different software tools out there that will run these scripts for ya, plus perform various other tasks depending on the tool in question.

Some examples:
    Cocktail
    MacJanitor
    Mac Pilot
    MainMenu
    Maintenance
    OnyX
    Tiger Cache Cleaner
    ultimateTask
    Xupport

Some are free, some are not. My tool of choice is Mainmenu but check out for yourself which one will float your boat ;-)

Versiontracker as Phil mentioned is a good source although personally I prefer Macupdate: http://www.macupdate.com/

6. pixeltrance

pixeltrance Forum Member

If Phil and Ian got a "blah" each for mentioning one tool, then I should get a "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah" ;-P

7. PhilL

Wasn't Blah the name of a Psy tune last year? ;)

Sorry Spyral didn't mean to bust your bubble... all those tools aside, your advice to do this periodic maintenance is I think very important, so just reminding me I forgot this week is a good job on your part... ;)

Phil

8. PhilL

@Spyral,

Can you please get in touch with me by Email as soon as you have a chance?

jplewis01 AT comcast DOT net

Phil

9. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

Hi all, long time no see, I think it was in the old forum. Gave Traktor 3 demo a try, and I'm totally impressed, this is an awesome app! Big thumb up to Native!

Ok, here are many ways to optimize your computer, apart from the common stuff run by Onyx. I feel that if you have a Core Duo, Traktor run very well whatever you do, even when your computer is bogged down, but it is always nice to have a fast reliable setup when you are using a real time app.

Let's get the obvious out of the way. In Onyx, under the

***Parameters tab:

General: Speed of display sheets: very fast

Finder: Disable all the Graphics effects, check 'Show Quit item' (so you can easily quit the finder and leave only Traktor running. i personally use the Finder a lot, but if you're not using it while playing, just quit it after launching Traktor)

Dock: Minimize using scale effect. Disable all animations. Uncheck dock shadow.

Dashboard: Uncheck enable dashboard.

Under the Maintenance tab:

Permissions: Give it a whirl. You should do this once in a while, and everytime you install a new app.

Scripts: Execute them all.

Reset: If you feel like it, reset Mac help, and Launch Services database. not sure it helps.

Optimize: Do a complete optimization. before that, quit all apps. WHILE THIS IS RUNNING DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH YOUR COMPUTER, DON'T EVEN LOOK TOO INTENTLY AT IT. You've been warned.

***Cleaning Tab:

Caches: reset them all.

Logs: If you never read them, trash them all once in a while.

Misc: delete recent items and temporary. Can't do wrong.

You should do the maintenance part of the above once in a while, it purges your computer and gives it a fresh start.

Now for the not so obvious:

***Disabling Fonts:

Launch Font book, which should be in the Applications folder. Disable all the fonts you don't need. Incredible how this takes up in perceived speediness. The less font the better. to disable a font right click on it then choose disable. You can disable all the non europeans system fonts like Geeza and Hiragino, if you don't use them, of course.

***Disabling networking:

Launch System Preferences and choose Network. Create a new location ('location' pop up, 'new location'). Name it something like 'No connection'. then in the 'Show' pop up, select 'network Ports Configuration', and uncheck all the ports. This will disable networking totally, which will speed up quite a bit your machine. Press 'Apply Now'. When you want to connect to the internet, choose your previous location from the apple menu (under 'Location'). Fast and effective.

***Disable SpotLight:

I hate it. It's slow, it doesn't work like I want it, it's.. Oh well. I don't like it and it cause quite a performance hit to your computer. It's a great idea. But I don't like it. I think I've disabled it with something called 'Spotless', and never looked back.

For your searching needs look no further than the awesome EasyFind: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11076

Fast, reliable, old school searching. Put it in your dock.

***Adjust your sound prefs:

In the Audio Midi Setup (which is in the 'Utilities' folder), make sure that the default input, default output and system output are all on the same soundcard, the one you use for playing out.

Don't forget to disable all the sounds effects in the 'System Preferences' 'Sound' pane, because this could be really embarrassing in the middle of a set, especially when Front row launch or if you're a fan of the 'Submarine' alert.

***Disable startup items:

In Diablotin: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8975

Check 'Show System Library Items', then in Startup Items, disable Apache and AppleShare (the two first ones). Gave a look to whatever else could be loading at startup from your personal library (items that have a library icon) which you don't really need.

Go to the 'Accounts' pref pane in System preferences, choose your account, then login items and delete everything you don't need. You don't need the iTunes helper, btw.

***Leave 10-20 gigs free on your startup disk, if you can. The more the merrier.

***Enable root user:

This give quite a boost under every user account. Although you won't need it, and probably will never log into it, enable the root user. Launch 'NetInfo Manager' in the Utilities folder. Choose in the 'Security' menu 'Authenticate', type in your password, then 'Enable root user'. Choose a non trivial password, and write it down somewhere. where you'll be able to find it if the need arise.

If you like to live on the edge, log into the root user, and see how fast things are there. Then painfully log back into your account. It is not a good idea to be logged as root. Really.

***You may try out aticcelerator: http://thomas.perrier.name/index.html . Works really well, speed up your graphic card.

It may just be that even if it say it doesn't support some ATI cards yet, installing it nevertheless seems to do something. Maybe I'm deluded on this one. Try it.

Restart. Enjoy.

10. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

Uh oh, what did I do now?

11. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

Just do as the man says. It won't hurt. Much. After a while. ;-)

12. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

Yea...I e-mailed him. Got an offer I can't refuse from him too. ;D

13. AudioRapture

I guess his pink fluffy bunnies did a good job of covering the sulfur stench again...

14. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

Lol, what's that sposed to mean?

15. AudioRapture

Oh, nothing. Nothing at all. Absolutely nothing. Not in the slightest. Really. I already said too much. =:-O

16. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

17. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

remember the first rule of the fight club.
    dont talk about the fight club!

;)

18. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

19. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

2nd rule of fight club is ....

YOU DO NOT...TALK...ABOUT...FIGHT CLUB!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.