Mac vs Windows performance.

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by kroguk, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kroguk

kroguk New Member

Hi all,

First off, I'm not trying to ignite a fanboy war .
    I am just looking for some genuine feedback and constructive opinion on running Maschine on a Mac or a Windows PC.

The reason for my query is that my 2008 MacBook Pro is starting to struggle with the latest iteration of Maschine, especially since I have started to use a Jam controller as well as my Mk2.

I am therefore looking to upgrade to a newer computer but am genuinely torn between re-investing in an Apple device or going down the Windows route.

Both OS's are familiar to me but I have never used Maschine on a Windows box.

Are there any differences or 'features' to be aware of ?

For me, the huge factor is the price. A new MBP is significantly more expensive than an equivalent Windows machine but is it false economy to use that as a reason to not get a Mac ?

Hopefully someone out there can swing my decision one way or another

Many thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer.

EDIT
    Just for reference and if it helps with providing any advice, I have two PC's at my disposal.
    An HP Omni All-In-One desktop which runs Windows 10 on a 3.2Ghz i3 processor with 3GB of Ram or my trusty old MBP running OSX 10.11.6 with a 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB of RAM.
    (Maybe my Windows PC would be a better bet ??)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. Moffit

Moffit NI Product Owner

OOoof let the battle commence... :)

Windows for Me all day everyday...Macs are so pricey & overated

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Windows has always been ok for me. If you already have a desktop running Windows 10 load it up and give it a try?

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

The power you can get with a Windows laptop for the same price as any MacBook you'd consider would blow the MacBook out of the air. Windows 10 is a massive improvement over previous Windows (in my opinion, based on experience) and the difference in performance of MASCHINE between equivalently spec'd Windows and OS X machines would be negligible. The difference in your audio interface drivers might have differences however, but this is where the discussion and "argument" gets complicated.

Personally, I'd go Windows and just get the best you can afford. It seems Apple continue to restrict their MacBooks in terms of hardware, so you could end up with a potentially nice mobile solution that requires a lot of extra adapters and hubs etc.

5. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

Windows all the way. Some (or many) will argue that Macs are more stable and handle MIDI better, but considering the brand price you pay for any Apple product, I really don't see how its worth it , at least for the modest musician (like me) who isn't necessarily a professional doing this for money or as a livelihood. If you own a studio, do major live performances or work with well-known artists and there is money and or reputations at stake, I could see the need for an Apple setup, but otherwise, Windows will perform the same if not better at a fraction of the price.

• Like Like x 2
  6. slyte

slyte NI Product Owner

Windows 10 !. Working fast with a 4 years old i7 and 16Go Ram from Kingston Hyperx Impact. totally Worth the 800$

7. dick_bagel

dick_bagel Active Member

I've been using a mid 2012 MacBook Pro for my production for a while. 2.7 ghz 8mb ram 500gb ssd bla bla bla . Works amazing.

I recently bought at 2016 Mac mini with 3.5 ghz 1tb dual drive 16 gb ram for $600.
    I don't know why people always try to buy brand new macs. They are way overpriced, but if you do some Craigslist shopping you can find awesome macs for literally less than half the retail price. I've bought 3 used macs in my life and two new ones. I highly suggest looking into used ones.

8. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

they only seem overrated when you don't need what they offer.

9. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

True. I don't need a touchstrip in place of function keys or to be forced to use additional adapters and hubs to continue using my gear. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Alexmci

Alexmci NI Product Owner

Windows 10 on desktop and laptop, been on it since the beta releases.
    the desktop I put together for about £150 is rock solid with both Maschine and Traktor running linked.
    less money spent on the computer is more money to spend on other goodies.

11. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

lol sure you say that now!! i'll have you know that touchstrips and hubs are the future of computing, my friend!!! :D

however i was actually referring to the audio and midi i/o.

my rig currently uses 182-in/156-out aggregate audio device to interface all of my instruments with ableton live. for all practical purposes this can't be achieved with windows.

i went down the asio4all path and found that it solved some problems but created others. so in 2008 i switched my music rig to mac and since then i've had zero problems with audio or midi.

but to my earlier point-- i don't think macs can be overrated when this amount of i/o is needed and there is no other practical solution.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

Yes it would be nice if Windows had the equivalent of Aggregate (better still if Roland instrument audio interfaces worked in a similar manner to the audio interfaces on Access and Elektron instruments).

13. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Hardware performance vs bang for buck.. it's cheaper with Windows. Also Windows OS's are supported for longer. Finally you aren't limited by a closed ecosystem. Almost all software is available for PC and Mac with a few notable exceptions.

The only reason I would go Mac is if I had to use software that I could not run on Windows. Eg Logic.

14. kroguk

kroguk New Member

Thanks for all the replies folks !

I think I may as well give my Windows PC a try first before I make a snap decision on a new purchase.

Thanks again !

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

sounds like a good idea. good luck?

@CakeAlexS i'm not sure what you mean by closed ecosystem.

16. CakeAlexS

It's similar to NI. They support some open areas and formats because they have to, but try to do the bare minimum to keep you looked in.

Well don't expect native FLAC support any time soon. Expect more proprietary file formats, hardware ports and of course everything pretty much ends up via iTunes and Apple store. Don't get me wrong M$ would love to do this as well and is trying (metro apps etc), but we resist.

17. Syver

Syver NI Product Owner

Mac for the OS in and the aggregate devices.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Mac , but I wouldn't buy a new MacBook , I'd get a Mac mini , check there refurbished section on the Mac store , I got my i7 Mac mini for a great price .
    Mac OS just seem more user friendly to me

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

The aggregate device feature of OS X is great and the one thing about OS X I'm jealous of, I admit. There was a hint by Microsoft and other rumours that Windows 10 will get such a feature too, along with other improved audio and MIDI support, but so far we're still just waiting.

20. CakeAlexS

182 in, 156 out? I guess Kraftwerk and Jean Michelle Jarre would be very happy indeed, as well as Spazoo. Really though this is a common use case?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.