1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi all!

A quick update on our Summer of Sound sale, which went live earlier this week. While the sale has already been active both on our website and with retailers worldwide, we felt that it was not the right time to do any marketing around it. We felt that there were more important voices and messages that needed to be heard during this time.

We know that this a popular sale and that many of our regular customers look forward to this event each year, so we just wanted to let you know why we have not communicated about it so far. All communication will be going live on Monday, in the meantime, we hope that you will find something in our sale that excites you. Stay safe and happy music making.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

MacBook Pro compatibility

Discussion in 'Final Scratch Archives' started by Dapness, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Dapness

Dapness Forum Member

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about when an update was going to be released to make FS2 compatible with MacBook Pros. From what I've read it appears that you can run Windows through boot camp, install FS2 there, and it will work ok. That's all well and good but I would rather not install another (inferior) OS on my laptop if possible, you know. I saw in another forum that Traktor DJ Studio 3 has a compatibility update coming out 4th quarter 2006. I've noticed in the past that these products have had similarities . Any thoughts anyone??

2. mikecole

mikecole New Member

I would also like to know. I just can't get fs2 to work on any pc laptop. I'm having serious firewire issues. I hear fs2 works right out of the box on the g4 power books but I can't see not buying a duo core mac...help

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

this question can only be answered by stanton, so please write to them!

@mikecole: please post your problems in a different thread so we can try to help you!

4. Dapness

Dapness Forum Member

Yeah, tried emailing Stanton twice but have't seen a response yet. On the positive side, FS2 is running great with Windows via Boot Camp on the MacBook Pro ...so far. You at least MUST disable the wireless adapter in the Device Manager to get rid of the crackle as noted in another thread.

While I'm on this, I would just like to add my 2 cents about why I think it would be wise to buy a MacBook Pro. If you plan on spending the money (got a brand new top of the line 15" one for $2000 on eBay [retails for $2600 from apple]) you might as well get one of these. I mean, it's like having 2 laptops in one, for real. Once this compatability patch comes out you can have FS2 on both operating systems. If for some reason something goes array on one side you can just reboot to the other and it should work fine (unless it's a hardware issue). This is true of any app you might use it for. Dont get me wrong it's not as easy as 123 (you have to actually have a single disc Windows XP Home/Pro SP2 and install Boot Camp and all) but for the most part it's about as painless as it can be. Plus OS X is so flippin slick. That's about 2 cents. I'll stop there.

5. LiamB

LiamB NI Product Owner

I just read that Dapness managed to get fs2 running via boot camp, now im having so much trouble trying to get the whole thing goin. Is there anyone out there kind enough to give me a step by step idiots guide in getting my fs2 running on my MacBook Pro? Please Help?

6. Dapness

Dapness Forum Member

Well liambarron, I just got done writing you a 45 min reply instructing how I got FS2 to work on Bootcamp but when i went to post it I couldn't because it said I wasn't logged in. Umm, I was certainly logged in but whatever happened my reply was lost sorry. GRRRR!!!!! Let me know an update and I'll see if I can't help if your still having trouble.

7. DJ Freshfluke

if you write longer texts, do that in another application (word or whatever you use on mac), since you get auto-logged-out after a while of *inactivity* for security reasons.

anywys, you would have had the opportunity to use the back button, then copy the text and login a second time ;-)

8. LiamB

LiamB NI Product Owner

Still no joy! I dont where im goin wrong its so frustrating! The software doesnt seem to recognise the scratch amp. Could it be faulty or am i just stupid?

9. Dapness

Dapness Forum Member

Don't worry Liam, your not stupid :). This is not the easiest thing in the world to work with. When you run FS2 in Windows and drop the needle on the record does it appear to try to calibrate??

Here is what I did.

-Clean install of OSX > D/L Updates
    -D/L and run Bootcamp (make sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY from the apple website about how to install this).
    -You need to decide if you want your HD formatted Fat32 or NTFS (You'll want to do a little research on this but I did Fat32 so I can read/write to my Windows partition from OSX)
    -You also need to consider getting MacDrive (the LATEST version) so you can access your Mac partition in Windows. This way you can keep all your music files on your Mac partition and keep you Windows partition small.
    -Once Windows is updated and running through Bootcamp install FS2 making sure you disable your wireless and bluetooth devices through Windows Device Manager (Found in Control Panel).
    It should work ok pending your connections are solid. You might have a faulty scratch amp. The first one I received was faulty (infinite calibration loop due to a power glitch).

Let me know where you stand.

10. Dapness

Dapness Forum Member

This is an excerpt from a previous post of mine on this topic.

The next day I was determined to get this Mac up and running with Windows (hadn't had time to mess with it up til then) and test FS2. After a couple hours I got it all hooked up and started up FS2. Works perfectly so far. Sound is solid (you DO have to disable the wireless and Bluetooth devices in the Device Manager area of Windows control panel to knock out that crackle as stated in a previous thread [nice work on that by the way]), turned the latency all the way down, and let her rip. Only had an hour to play but it seems to work great. Personally, I think the scratch amp like the Firewire 400 cable alot better then the IEEE cable I had to use for my other laptops. No calibration issues yet. I will keep you posted on any problems I come across. The plan is to get this thing working in Windows and not mess with Window at all. The only issue I have with the MacBook Pro running Boot Camp is hard drive sharing. OS X can read/write on a Fat 32 drive but can only read an NTFS drive. Windows doesn't see the Mac hard drive. So, You have to really think what kind of file system you will use. You can only partition a Fat 32 drive to 32 gigs with Windows so if you have more then 32 gigs of music (which I do) Fat 32 is out. You could format it NTFS but then you can't really use it in OS X. Ideally what you would want is Windows to be able to use that Mac HD. I hear you can do that through MacDrive software which I am trying. Hopefully with the compatibility update, none of this will be necessary and I can blow Windows right off the drive :) I'll try to keep you posted on this if anyone is interested.

Update.

I've got 2 weeklys, one 3 hour and one 5 hour, where I've been using the MacbookPro and running FS2 via Bootcamp for 3 weeks now. Seems pretty solid so far. It seems like once a night I get a half a second of droppout which causes a nasty buzz. I'm not sure what it is but I noticed the FireWire indicator go red last time it did it. I have NOTHING extra installed on the Windows partition and the wireless and bluetooth devices are turned off. If anyone is having a similar issue please let me know.
    I also was buggin' out one night because I was getting an infinite calibration loop. Found out it was because I set the Latency to 1.5ms instead of 2ms like I usually do. Speaking of this shouldn't I be able to turn my latency settings to the best possible options. Anyone got anything on this??

11. LiamB

LiamB NI Product Owner

I started again installing everything by the book and i cant seem to get the thing running. It doesnt calibrate when i drop the needle. Is it the way im setting it up? Dapness i must say i appreciate the help.

12. DJ Freshfluke

assuming that you have bootcamped FS2...

- how does the timecode figure (setup) look like?
    - what does the timecode meter say?

13. Dapness

Dapness Forum Member

Agreed. We need more info. If your setup of Windows via Bootcamp went off without a hitch you shouldn't have a problem ... unless there is a hardware problem. One thing you could try is to install FS2 on another laptop (a friends maybe) just to see if you can get it to work or at least calibrate. I fortunatley own another laptop so when I was having issues initially I installed FS2 on the other laptop and sho'nuff it didn't work there either. This indicated a Scratch Amp problem. I had to exchange for a new one that seems to work ok ... so far :). Don't lose hope. The solution is out there. From my end I can say you did the right thing buying the MacBook Pro. Currently FS2 is running better than ever on my rig (fingers crossed!!).

14. tobby digg

tobby digg NI Product Owner

Hi,

got a MacBook (with 2 Ghz Duo) running with Boot Camp/XP Pro & Final Scratch 2.
    It's working, but I can't say that it works perfect.
    I got crackles (every few minutes). I turn the wireless lan and bluetooth of but the crackles hold on.
    I make 2 shows now with it (for about 3 hours) and I have at both times a drop out for about 3-5 seconds -> The fire wire symbol in traktor turn red. Except that it works.
    I don't know if this are beginning Problems. ( before I got the MacBook I work with an PC Laptop. At the beginning with the PC Laptop I got also problems, but later it runs perfectly...)

-> The installation of Boot Camp is very easy. By the way you don't have to search for the drivers, there in the Boot Camp package...

15. djvision

djvision NI Product Owner

I am having issues running MacBook Pro and final scratch2
    I have 17" 2.16 processor 2gb ram running latest bootcamp windows xp pro...i install tracktor3 and final scratch2 and the drivers with no problem but when i run the tracktor and try to use final scratch forget it...the indicator stays red am unable to run fs2 properly...i previously owned a toshiba laptop which used fs2 with zero problems...i installed bootcamp properly and windows and both mac and windows have the latest updates...so where did i go wrong? i format windows as ntfs file system which shouldn't make a difference...any help would be appreciated thanks

16. DJ Freshfluke

please contact the stanton support for FS issues, since they're responsible for the FS support. find the link in my signature!

17. tobby digg

tobby digg NI Product Owner

@ djvision

-try to install the Traktor 2.0.3 (the version you get with Final Scratch 2)-> you can install Traktor 2.0.3 and Traktor 3 -> you don't have to deinstall Traktor 3
    -try to install the drivers for the Scratch Amp new. (make sure that you don't plug in the the Scratch Amp before you install! )
    -check your Fire Wire cable
    -check your record systems

18. djvision

djvision NI Product Owner

thanks for your replies...when i get home today i will trouble shoot with those suggestions going to contact fs2 stanton and just incase i am going to reinstall using the fat32 to see if that makes a difference...this won't be an issue once fs2 and traktor catches up with the universal/mac/intel/ updates

19. cebrunk

cebrunk New Member

I just purchased the Traktor 3 upgrade (3.13 119.00 usd) for FS2 and when I try to install it the installer keeps asking for my Traktor 3 folder?? I have tried to point it to the FS2.03 folder to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem or did I recieve the wrong file?

Thanks in advance,
    CB

20. DJ Freshfluke

no, FS, traktor 2.6 and T3 install in different folders!

btw, this is the wrong thread - this is about macbook compatibility and FS...