1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

macOS Big Sur

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by CrusadeGT, Nov 12, 2020.

1. CrusadeGT

CrusadeGT NI Product Owner

Hey guys,

has anyone installed Big Sur?
    Is the maschine software + komplete workable?

2. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

Today I received an email from Akai
    in which they indicate not to do the OS11 update until they have tested it.
    Maybe NI will also come up with his statement.

René

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI Support Team NI Team

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. CrusadeGT

CrusadeGT NI Product Owner

Thanks! I didnt get the newsletter..
    But the Maschine software works fine? Think i should wait for some days :D

5. Matt @ NI

As you can read, not yet confirmed so I would definitely hold on the update for a little bit ;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. toneyrome

toneyrome NI Product Owner

Will NI have native support for Apple's new processors?

7. Matt @ NI

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

DO NOT UPDATE TO BUG, I mean, BIG, SUR YET if you are using audio software from various sources. While cubase claims to be compatible for the OS, most VST plug-in, even those from Steinberg, are not. waves and eventide has issued warnings. also you may have notice that Maschine software and hardware are not on the compatible list as well...

• Using a .... MK3 on macOS 11 (Big Sur) can cause malfunction and potentially damage your controller! We are working together with Apple to find a solution to this problem.
    again: DO NOT UPDATE TO BUG SUR - OS XI

On silicon Macs, unless you plan on running only apple apps, DO NOT GET A SILICON MAC TO USE FOR AUDIO, VIDEO, or photographic, USE FOR AT LEAST A YEAR!!!! Not only is the processor slower for intel apps, it is simply not as fast as an i7 or i9 and at this point seems to be just a marketing campaign using apples and oranges to keep people from comparing current versions of intel chips to what is left in surplus of apple's.... you know, hey, i10 is out, I will wait until apple as that... the M1 chip, while excellent for the MacBook Air or iPad Pro, is inadequate for the MacBook Pro line given it's lack of hyper threading support or a secondary higher perfornance GPU. it will likely be a year or more until the M1 is up to par and the software has, expensively, caught up. from their event, they are suggesting they will put it in all their Macs... though I think the MacBook Pro 13 version is a market test on that, to see if "pro" users will trade real computer workstation performance for tablet/phone grade performance.

thank goodness for the new Maschine standalone.,.,

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  9. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Isn't it always the norm to wait a year/10 years when a new Apple OS comes out because everything breaks since compatibility with the world isn't what Apple is about... basically you wait until a new OS is announced THEN upgrade to the previous one. You should always be 1 OS update behind because Apple like to shake things up for developers with every release because they know how much Devs love updating compatibility for Apple products.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

so true.... the suck is if you have to buy a new apple product for some reason, it will come with the latest OS and the earlier version will not be permitted to be installed unless you go to the apple store service bar or make an install drive if you have the OS. and it also goes in stages as, os 10.6, 10.9 and 10.11 were very good... 10.15 is just an minor update of 10.12... and still is full of issues... 10.13 seems to have been the best of that series... though I will have to say the sidecar feature of using an iPad Pro with a Mac as a second screen and controller was brilliant, even if the idea was taken. from a third party.

• Using a TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK3 on macOS 11 (Big Sur) can cause malfunction and potentially damage your controller! We are working together with Apple to find a solution to this problem.

• Using a MASCHINE MK2 or MIKRO MK2 on macOS 11 (Big Sur) can cause high CPU spikes on your computer. We are working together with Apple to find a solution to this problem.
    I think apple is going about this backwards, they should just port the OS X to the iPad and phone instead of trying to port the iOS to the Macs. ..

11. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Evidence ?
    These are the benchmarks for the air version
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4648107
    I haven’t checked them against anything myself, but from what I’ve read from other people it blows the same intel macbook out the water , and I take it that’s the same with the mini too.
    I’m interested to know how true it is

• Like Like x 1
  12. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

13. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

I think the air and mini versions may perform better because those at the entry level used what would be considered obsolete Intel processors and the m1 has newer tech and a boast in the bus structure an a few optimized apps, but compared to an i9 or 10 with a good gpu, me thinks not... to really get a real world benchmark, one would need to test it with a standard like photoshop, maschine/live/cubase, or a 3d program. I am not sure how apple expects to outdo an turbo i10 with a top radian gpu in a macbook pro or outdo a 28 core xeon with 64g gpus.as they said in the event showcase.... as I said, thus will be year(s) away... .. I would like to see the m1 in the ipad pro but I say meh to it right now in the workstations... maybe in 5 years..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I get what you’re saying , interested to see what the future brings , I may pick up the Mac mini , and sell my i5 2018 version , I don’t really use my computer for too many extensive tasks, not sure I want to risk getting the air version , I’d have more confidence in the mini tbh

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  15. Captain Blasto

Captain Blasto NI Product Owner

I've been running Big Sur since the first beta and NI software has been remarkably stable. I was running in to some crashes in Maschine when using the transport controls on my MK3 (but oddly, only when my KK keyboard was also hooked up and turned on) but they have gone away with the latest Big Sur update.

I've had issues with Spitfire, but all my other audio stuff has been great in macOS 11.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Where did you see them saying that??
    They never said their 8-Core M1 can compete with a 28-Core Xeon... Even at 5 nanometers VS 14 thats impossible, that's Mac Pro level of performance and there was no Mac Pro with apple CPU's announced.

As for competing with comparable current intel lineup, well... I'll wait to see that too but it would be pretty stupid to change your CPU to use one with worst performance.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Maciej Repetowski

Maciej Repetowski NI Product Owner

Just give them some time, M1 is low power chip for entry level laptops and Mac mini (and is already performing great). Don’t trust Apple on this, read articles on Toms Hardware and Anandtech - those are PC sites and they say performance of M1 is amazing. This is only going to get better in time. For now, stick to Intel Macs which are still being sold normally.

I am Mac person but I will wait at least until 2022 to upgrade to Apple Silicon Mac in my studio. No need to rush.

18. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I’ve listed my Mac mini on eBay , I’m pretty sure I’ll get more for it than the m1 mini costs, especially as I’ve found the m1 for about £665 plus I can 10% cashback on that .
    So I’m gonna take the plunge in the name of science ;)
    Mainly using the + for music atm , and the only daw I have is logic,I’m gonna have to wait for Roland and NI for drivers , but I can do that as I have a + .

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  19. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

You are hilariously misinformed.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Captain Blasto

Captain Blasto NI Product Owner

Indeed. If your workflow can be handled on 16GB of RAM and integrated graphics (most music makers can get by on this) I can't see any reason to be afraid of the change. By all accounts, it looks to be better than the previous base 13" MBP which was a pretty capable machine for most music making needs. For hardcore video editing or for composing music that needs 100+ tracks in your DAW, maybe wait. But for the vast majority of people, even hobbyist producers, this should be more than enough.

• Like Like x 1