1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

macOS Catalina feedback?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Oct 11, 2019 at 7:33 PM.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I thought it would be cool to have a place where everyone can share their experiences with Maschine in Catalina as well as other NI products, what works and what doesn't, perhaps also other popular 3rd party stuff commonly used in Maschine/KK.

Keep in mind that the official statement for now is:
    Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    So.. Update at your own risk, I have dual boot so I can go back and forth between Mojave and Catalina.

I did a clean install of the OS so it's a work in progress, so far:

• Maschine - ✔ works. (tested Mk3 and Mikro Mk3)
    • Komplete Kontrol - ✔ works. (tested M32 and KKS49 Mk2)
    • Komplete Audio 2 - ✔ works.
    • Kontakt/Reaktor V6 - ✔ works.
    • Native Access - ✘ Mostly works but crashes sometimes, a couple of installs result in an error "An unknown error occurred" very descriptive as always... I cant install Kontakt or Reaktor correctly. A bunch of instrument updates show up immediately after locating my libraries, all the changelogs are empty, also typical.
    • Kontakt 5 - ✔✘ Mostly works - NA installation fails but the standalone app and the plugins are indeed installed, it asks for the license a every lanch tho.
    • Reaktor 5 - ✘ Does not work - NA installation fails, as Kontakt5 it does show up as an app/plugin but the authorize process says it can't find Service Center, my guess is SC was 32bit so anything that depends on it can fail.
    • A bunch of instrument installs fail, especially the big ones above 20GB, it takes multiple tries until it eventually is actually installed but I still get an "unknown error" and NA thinks it's not installed, reopening NA and using the "Locate" feature fixes it.
    This whole process reminded me of how much NA still feels like a Beta app even though it was released ages ago, its already buggy in Mojave so Catalina just makes it a tiny bit worst. I had to manually point every library sub-folder when relocating all of the K12UCE libraries, NA cant simply scan the folder where all my libs are (it's defined in the preferences) and locate them all by itself... it literally took me 30min of clicking, a PITA beyond belief. Other than NA I am pretty surprised at how well everything is working so far.

Other software:
    Ableton Live 10 and beta - ✔
    Cubase (9 Artist) - ✔
    Logic Pro X - ✔
    Serato Sample - ✔ (even though the website says it's not compatible), Waves plugins, Fab Filters, Melodyne, and all the 3rd party plugins I installed so far work fine, both in Maschine and my DAW's.
    Reason - haven't tried it yet but it already had issues in Mojave that were never fixed for my version (9.5) so I doubt it works correctly.

Sort of related:
    How does iPad's sidecar work for with Maschine/KK? Did anyone try it yet? Very curious about this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

Roland plugouts vst (not cloud) no longer work as the activator is 32 bit , so they stay in demo mode as they can’t activate themselves . :(

Roland Mc 101 works , (no driver update needed )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:48 PM
  3. D-One

Just tried the secondary screen SideCar thing with my girls iPad (I dont own one), it works but I am pretty disappointed.
    - The biggest issue is Touch does not work, you have to use the pencil... who the hell wants to use a pencil to operate software other than visual artists? I am better off using a normal secondary LCD screen :rolleyes:
    - Requires the computer and the iPad to use the same iCloud account, so I needed to log her out and log myself in which takes a lot of time and is an overhaul hassle, it might be an issue for people who share devices in a household or if you make music with other people... you cant just plug it in someone else's computer, major turnoff... smh.
    - Maschine doesn't fit in the iPad screen (iPad 6th Gen), theres no scaling options for it.

The snappiness is impressive though, latency is almost unnoticeable via Wifi wich is not the case for other 3rd party apps that convert a tablet to a secondary screen from my experience.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:46 PM
  4. AL’DREAD

Thanks , now I don’t really need to buy a new iPad .

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 12:59 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  5. D-One

Exactly my thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AL’DREAD

Apple probably locked the touch to the pencil to sell more ;)
    It’s a shame I was looking forward to it

7. D-One

TBF using touch on a tiny GUI not designed for touch in the first place would probably be a nightmare, it's pretty hard to hit the right buttons with your finger but allowing the user to choose would be nice, if what I want to click is big enough then I touch it, if not, I dont, but Apple is not really known for giving it's users choices, they like to choose for us, reminds me of another company we all know... ;)
    As a Maschine user, I could see myself using Ideas View regularly for the first time or selecting notes with a touch more easily without the mouse... bummer.
    :(

8. AL’DREAD

Yeah I can see how the pencil would make sense for the most part , when I used duet display on a iPad mini , the touch was only useful for some things , mainly had to use the mouse with it .
    I always thought Apple should of done something like sidecar when I was using duet, personally I think they’re a little late to the party and I was expecting a bit more from them tbh , I’m gonna borrow my mates iPad ASAP and check it out tho , lucky because I was looking to buy one off eBay a few weeks back as my mini is to old for iOS 13 . Well at least that’s one less thing to buy

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

No. Fingers are too blunt for a UI designed for mouse input. Try using something like Screens for iOS (a remote desktop app). It has a direct touch mode but it’s virtually unusable without constantly zooming in and out. The only real way to use it is trackpad mode.

10. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

While I was really looking forward to Sidecar, now that I have it I am still trying to figure out how it might actually be useful besides drawing or using as a mobile second display with my MacBook Pro while on the road (which is pretty cool tbh).

I really wish there was the option for touch control, though for what it is I am impressed with the latency and hassle free setup.

I have yet to install the OS update on my Maschine rig, though I may hold out as I am not happy with the UAP implementation. It really reminds me of Microsoft's Vista nightmare all those years ago. Even native Apple apps now request permission to launch, so I've got all these nagging warnings and then frequent trips to System preferences + type in password to let the damn things work. I really hope they give a global command to turn this crap off because as of now, it's permanent.

11. D-One

You can turn it off, but I strongly advise you not to, it's there for your security and it only nags you when you launch an app for the first time, after that, you never see it again.

12. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

Hmm I do not see where to disable this. The frustrating part is it asks you for permission for all the apps already installed, so if one was already a vulnerability it seems too late at that point? Unless it is running a scan? I did read that this new update gives Apple the opportunity to monitor different apps and what they are doing and if any pose a risk. I guess they notify you?

13. Kaydigi

Kaydigi NI Product Owner

Anyone try the mpc software?

14. AL’DREAD

Can do tomorrow

15. AL’DREAD

I’ve use duet display , you can do some touch on that .
    I was expecting a more touch friendly ui tbh , I know it’s not Apples responsibility for 3rd party vendor apps , but for the os & apps, I was expecting a second screen cross touch remote , instead of the dock /desktop , launch pad should be the default screen mode for it , you could then launch apps , then they had their own ui for the iPad , like iTunes /movies/ quick time , etc , then 3rd party vendors could make their own ui for their software, or something similar like logic remote .
    Maybe it will get better over time

16. D-One

Not sure exactly what you're referring to with "Permission to launch". There's 2 security nags:
    Gatekeeper: It blocks you from running unsigned/nonapple store apps, you either right-click the app and select "Open" and from then on it never nags you again for that specific app, or you disable gatekeeper all together in the terminal with:
    Code:
    sudo spctl --master-disable
    Then there are app permissions, generally Audio apps ask for "Microphone" permissions, clicking OK should add the app to the allowed list but sometimes it doesn't, you have to unlock "Security and Privacy", enter your pass and then manually check the permission thing, after that it will never nag you again about that specific app, if its unchecked it will keep asking over and over..
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  17. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Hi D-One, thanks for this. But what tests did you realy make ? wjust launch, play, revord, automation ? Because very few manufacturers have officially announced compatibility. It’s probably more than being cautious from their site.

18. D-One

I didn't test anything extensively, I launched, played some projects, recorded, touched every button on HW and SW I could think of and sort of moved on to the next application/plugin. I am still moving everything from old SSD to the new and reinstalling everything so, for now, I can't afford to test seriously. That's why I opened the thread, so more people can give some feedback in case I missed something.

For some it is caution, they dont want to get bombarded with support tickets and complaints until everything is confirmed to be working 100%., for others theres more valid reasons, we can never know.

Some macOS updates do break a ton off stuff, when that's the case there's a flood of "XYZ stopped working" threads popping up everywhere which didn't happen this time so for most users i'd say it's safe to update if the user was already on a modern OS version, particularly Mojave/High Sierra and didn't rely on a bunch of 32bit or old applications but even so I dont recommend anyone to update yet, it's always a good idea to wait a couple of months.

• Like Like x 1