Macro set up (beginner)

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Henry Langton, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Henry Langton

Henry Langton New Member

Hello,

I'm a beginner to Ableton and music production in general. I signed up for Thavius Beck's course on noiselab and am working through it, but have come to a point where my mirroring his action brings up different results. Namely when I drop 'kit-808 Classic' into my set, it doesn't have any pre-assigned macro controls as it does for Thavius. Here is how it looks for him (bottom left):

Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 19.10.09.png

And how it looks for me:

Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 19.11.05.png

I'm assuming a couple things might have happened. Either Ableton/the pack where the kit comes from has been updated and no longer has the macro control preset, or Thavius set up some kind of drum rack macro preset for the kit and that just gets loaded up when he plugs it in?

My question then is how would I set that up? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Mochness

Mochness New Member

FYI, each of those knobs can have a multitude of different things assigned to them inside of that rack. So for you to get exactly that rack (which i suspect he has set up himself) you would need to copy it exactly from him, or if he has it available to download to your library. If you wanted to do it yourself, I would suggest a quick YouTube tutorial, this one isn't bad. He covers pretty much exactly what you want to do.

3. Henry Langton

Henry Langton New Member

Thanks Mochness, I figured he'd made it himself, I was looking to see if I had missed an update or something but nay, it's just me trying to find convenience and an easy road. I've made a few effects racks since I posted this so thanks for your suggestions/directions.