1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

MacTel Optimization - OSX

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by PhilL, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Use this thread to discuss optimization of Mac OSX & Traktor running on MacTel Hardware. If you've got performance tuning, tweaks, hardware help, Mac Utilities etc. that will help, please dive in and let us know. Specifically were trying to provide help for users running Intel Mac Minis iMacs, Macbook Pro 15 & 17 inch and MacBooks.

Please do not turn this into a rant / general grip session or a platform Fanboy rave guide. DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A RELIGIOUS DEBATE (even obliquely), such messages WILL be deleted.

Remember too some users (like myself) reading and posting here are former / current PC users. As such, we may not be aware of some of the Mac Centric OSX functions that many long time Mac users may take for granted. The upshot of this is, 'please be tolerant and provide as much info as you can'. Links to your favorite tips and how-to guides would also be welcome.

Phil

2. Voff

Voff NI Product Owner

3. Voff

Voff NI Product Owner

--- snip ---
    DoubleCommand is software for Mac OS X (a kernel extension) that lets you remap keys, in other words change the way your keyboard works. Often used to make a PC keyboard more comfortable with a Mac, swapping the Alt (Option) and Windows (Command or Apple) keys, since they are in swapped positions on Mac and PC keyboards. DoubleCommand is a quick and easy way to fix this if you use a PC keyboard with your Mac. Called DoubleCommand because originally it was used to give the old PowerBooks a second Command key, where there was an enter key.
    --- end snip ---

http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

I personally use this to get an option key instead of the useless enter-key (to the left of the left-arrow).

4. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

Here is something strange that I have noticed when running T3 on Rosetta (which I suppose qualifies as an optimization):

On my 2Ghz/2Gig MB, T3 crackles and pops when using the onboard audio. The processor usage as well as the AEU (audio engine usage--reported in Traktor) is correspondingly high. This is to the point that the program is unusable. However, when I switch to my Firewire Audiophile, the processor load drops DRAMATICALLY. In fact, the performance is much better than it was on my 1 GHz PB G4 with the Audiophile. So, the long and short seems to be that if you're planning to use T3 under Rosetta, you're probably not going to want to go with the built in soundcard as far as I can tell.

5. PhilL

Absolutely agree!

My testing so far shows that the soundcards with built-in OSX audio support behave similarly to the Mac built in sound. I have tested 2 other USB sound carsds so far. Interestingly the same cards under Bootcomap and Win-XP perfrom well.

Firewire 410 on OSX perfroms very well!

Phil

6. PhilL

Two finger tapping - Getting access to the right click

No Right Button to click. Seems like a minicule problem right? Wrong!... for Windows people at least. But there is a great solution.

If you have not yet discovered it holding down Ctrl while clicking essentially does a right click on the object you are pointing at. Good stuff but has nothing to do with two finger action... Now for the goodness...

If you have not yet discovered it, open Safari, Camino or whatever and load a long page that needs to scroll. Put TWO fingers on the touchpad and drag down. The page will scroll just like a scroll wheel.

Double-tap with two fingers on something that has a right click menu and Viola right-click menu!

Hold two fingers still on the touch pad and click the button, Viola same thing.

Still pissed? well you shouldn't be... a little practice and you will quickly be assimulated... If you would rather not be fitted with nano extensions and Hyperdrive quantum stabilization inverters and SMS LightSabres then get yourself a Bluetooth mouse like the Logitech V270.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2146,CONTENTID=10916
    Its Bluetooth so there is no USB dongle thang and it has your right button and scrollwheel. Plug it in and setup bluetooth (no pass key) and you are done.

7. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

Re: Two finger tapping - Getting access to the right click

Yeah, this is a great feature. One caveat though, right now, this is only available on the MacBook and the 17" MacBook Pro (not the 15" MBP) however, since this is a software thing, I'm sure it will be coming to the 15" soon...

8. RoxyDJJulio

RoxyDJJulio NI Product Owner

@PhilL
    "DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A RELIGIOUS DEBATE (even obliquely), such messages WILL be deleted."

"No Right Button to click. Seems like a minicule problem right? Wrong!... for Windows people at least. But there is a great solution.

If you have not yet discovered it holding down Ctrl while clicking essentially does a right click on the object you are pointing at. Good stuff but has nothing to do with two finger action... Now for the goodness...

If you have not yet discovered it, open Safari, Camino or whatever and load a long page that needs to scroll. Put TWO fingers on the touchpad and drag down. The page will scroll just like a scroll wheel.

Double-tap with two fingers on something that has a right click menu and Viola right-click menu!

Hold two fingers still on the touch pad and click the button, Viola same thing.

Still pissed? well you shouldn't be... a little practice and you will quickly be assimulated... If you would rather not be fitted with nano extensions and Hyperdrive quantum stabilization inverters and SMS LightSabres then get yourself a Bluetooth mouse like the Logitech V270.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10916
    Its Bluetooth so there is no USB dongle thang and it has your right button and scrollwheel. Plug it in and setup bluetooth (no pass key) and you are done."

I'M BRAKING MY FINGERS PhilL :)!

9. PhilL

Wait till you get the twister mat overlay for your touchpad, then the metatarsal gymnastics really begin.

10. RoxyDJJulio

RoxyDJJulio NI Product Owner

Hey PhilL
    The Scrolling Track Pad has improved my Love Life, nuff said
    J

11. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

That's hilarious. LOL.

12. PhilL

Fixing Built-in Soundcard Latency in Traktor

You may have discovered that the built in Soundcard Latency in Traktor is locked at a low value and audio bereaks up badly. It seems (or seemed) there was no way to change the value and clean up the audio... Not so anymore.

I have installed Audio Hijack Pro (which in turn installs SunFlower Audio) as well as drivers for my M-Audio Firewire 410. Both Sunflower and the M-Audio drivers and latency in both is unlocked in Traktor (but only so far). M-audio can get out to 32 MSec at 48K sample rates and SunFlower can get out to 56Msec at 44.1K sample rates. If you chose those high latency values in Traktor then switch back to built-in Audio you'll find the latency value for the Sunflower or M-Audio card stays in place for the Builtin Audio then when you playback the audio is completely clean at least for two decks I've not tried 4 decks yet. If you do try please post your results here.

Phil

Thank heaven for little bugs! ;)

Phil

13. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

Re: Fixing Built-in Soundcard Latency in Traktor

Phil,

As I said before, I think you can also achieve this via CoreAudio with the Aggregate Device...

14. PhilL

Improved in ways I don't wanna know. If you've got it hooked somehow to yer Lame Disco Thong... I am so outta here ;)

Phil

15. PhilL

Re: Fixing Built-in Soundcard Latency in Traktor

I wasn't able to but I don't know enuff about agravated devices yet. My Testing on the weekend still had the latency locked.

Phil

16. mastermix

mastermix NI Product Owner

Interesting enuff..I have commented several times on the mediocre T3 support for CoreAudio devices that rely on coreaudio services ...devices that lack their own native drivers...

Kris...

17. flowbike

flowbike New Member

really?
    i'm running TDJ on an MBP 1,83, 1GB RAM and audiophile firewire.
    i always have drops just using only 2 decks and eyerything done in the preferences to reduce cpu usage. have the latest drivers for the audiophile and running os 10.4.7
    any ideas?

btw: my firts post here :) hi djs

keep on loungin

_sven

18. PhilL

Sven, best recommendation to get reliable McBook Pro operation from Traktor 3 at this very moment is Bootcamp and Windows-XP.

NI does NOT recommend or support operation of Traktor under Rosetta in OSX on Mactel hardware. The Universal Binaries release is due in the Fall of 2006 at which time that exclusion will go away, and operation under OSX will hopefully be as screamingly fast as it is now under XP on MacTels.

Phil

19. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

Sven, first, I can vouch for what Phil has just posted. As much as I detest windows, I'm seriously considering installing XP solely for the purpose of running Traktor. I'm really dissapointed that I have to resort to that, but the 3.1 update (which contains a couple of fixes that I consider very important) just isn't even an option under Rosetta. While 3.0.2 does work fine on my MacBook, the processor usage is very high and I never go over medium quality timestretching. So, you could be hitting the wall with your 1.83 machine. Unfortunately, I just don't know. In any case best of luck...

20. flowbike

flowbike New Member

hi george, hi phil,

this night i've tried again to get TDJ running in OSX under rosetta.
    TDJ alone is running with about 80 to 90% CPU, sometimes with a few drops, what whould be ok. but if i start any other application the drops get more. in my case i need 2 other apps for making radioshows 1. nicecast for streaming and ichat to get in contact with my listeners. but this is too much for the cpu.
    So i made what phil was writing.
    I installed bootcamp, win xppro sp2, tdj and the drivers for the audiophile firewire.
    its amazing: tdj natively under xp runs with low latency and the highest quality in time stretch with about 15% cpu usage.
    hopefully the ub version of tdj will work so smooth on OSX.
    only problem for me now:
    - all my music is on external HDDs formated in Mac-format
    - need a solution to produce streams
    but there will be a solution for that (thx to Phil for email)

i don't like XP, but in this case there is no other way (in the moment)

in expectation on a ub-release very soon

_sven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.