1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

MacTel Optimization - OSX

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by PhilL, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

I believe getting the CPU load down is a goal of the U.B. release, its _a_ reason why the UB Beta was delayed was because while things were generally working well CPU loads were considered too high. As we have seen in both the Mac and Windows worlds realtime application cause systems to misbehave in unexpected ways. Realtime apps place unique constraints and loads on the system that other apps don't and it does it in ways that others don't. It only beeen recently that windows has evolved to a point where it works so well. Sad to say at this point Vista does not behave so well, nor does OSX.

Unless you have your music in some wierd format Traktor should be able to play it, even if it is .aiff.

We're hoping to start testing over the summer, I don't have dates at this point. Beta testers who have signed up that are verified properly registered will be eligible to participate in the UB tst cycle when it starts.

Phil

2. PhilL

June 27 SMC for McBook Pro 17 fixes Fan issues.

Not exactly an otimization but these kinds of things are worth keeping up to date on. I can't say my laptop runs any cooler, or the fans work any more often than they did, but you can most definitely see just how loud the fans can be when running all out (They do so brieftly while the update is being applied.

The update details etc can be found here:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macbookpro17inchsmcfirmwareupdate.html

Phil

3. swavek

swavek NI Product Owner

Phil - perhaps you know the answer to what has been bugging me for a while, and which I can't find any straightforward answer to.

Is running Traktor under Windows XP on an "ordinary" PC identical to running it on an PC with the new Intel dual core processor? And hence - on a MacBook based Windows?

And if so - then why can't Traktor on my Mac based Windows see the ScratchAmp? Or are "new" PC owners having the same problem?

4. AlekG

AlekG NI Product Owner

I also don't have a straightforward answer for you but one thing to consider is that to get XP running on the Intel Macs, Apple created their own (or modified existing) drivers (which are technically still Beta) for their particular hardware components.

Therefore even though Windows XP should handle the FireWire-based ScratchAmp the same between a "normal" Windows laptop and an Apple Intel one, the driver used for FireWire is probably very different from the common FireWire driver on Dells, etc. and therefore the ScratchAmp may have a problem with it, although it shouldn't as the FireWire technical specs are VERY strict.

I do seem to remember other threads where users were having problems with the ScratchAmp and certain FireWire PC cards/drivers on Windows laptops. So much so that a concensus was reached on what the "best" FireWire implementation was ...

5. pavinder

pavinder New Member

Wondering if anyone has tried this.....

Having just bought a MacBookPro and having no success with Traktor 3 (90% CPU when playing nothing??), saw the suggestions of running it under Windoze. I have Parallels installed on my system but see that it's incompatible with my FW Audiophile, and I don't want to use Bootcamp.

I was browsing alternatives and saw this thread:
    http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38128

It's a Mac extension fix which seems to improve everybody's performance quite dramatically, and I wondered if it might help Traktor performance. Has anyone tried this with running Traktor in OSX? It also seems to be a reversible tweak (see page 5 of the thread) so no fear of creating permanent damage, just a reboot needed.

Being a bit non-techie, and a little resistent to system tweaking, any test results would be most appreciated....

Thanks in advance.

6. PhilL

I've tested this with Traktor and there is definitely improvements in performance but its not perfect. I found it did make my system run hideously hot. Tools showed the system ran 10-20 Deg C hotter while running Traktor and I'm absolutely not interested in running my system that hot.

Phil

7. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

I just tried on my MB and I didn't really see any performance increase. In fact, it seemed like my machine was slower when it initially started up. Unfortunately, it looks like we're stuck waiting for NI on this one...

8. PhilL

Do you notice any increase in temps. On my system they were much higher.

Phil

9. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

I didn't even run it long enough to find out, although I'm sure it would have since it disables the processor throttling...

10. PhilL

OSX Power mgmt not working right after reboot from XP?

I've notice this several times on the McBook 17iMl. After running Traktor under XP on my system for some period of Time I reboot back into OSX and put the system into sleep mode. When I come back to the system the next morning or whatever the system is already running HOT AS HELL and will not 'wake-up' On one occassion it was so hot when I restarted the fans came on at reboot at full noise for several moments before spinning down to their usual near-silent mode.

I've done so testing on this and find the behavior pretty consistent ly. If though I shutdown windows altogether (power-off then power -on) power and thermal management works properly.

I'm interested to hear others observations of this phenomenon too to see if its consistent across different systems. Fo now though when I switch back to OSX I will be using the power-off method for safety sake.

BTW a new version of Bootcamp is available with unspecified fixes in it (Bootcamp 1.0.2) I've not yet updated to it indeed I've not seen any docs describing an update process for XP, one more task to research.

11. swavek

swavek NI Product Owner

Re: OSX Power mgmt not working right after reboot from XP?

The only "change" that makes/may make any difference is the drivers disk - BootCamp itself does not do anything differently. But it's always worth installing the new drivers...

12. PhilL

Yeah I found a message thread saying to just run the driver update utility. My system has OSX and XP running fine and Bootcamp is not installed at all at present.

In reality Bootcamp in OSX does two things
    1/ Sets up initial partitioning to provide multiboot and create an XP usable partition.
    2/ Creates a driver Disk to setup Mac hardware in XP after XP installs.
    After that, bootcamp provides no active part in running the system.

I'm contemplating putting Vista on next week to see how Traktor runs in it now, but I really want to get some mixes done first, its been months since I've had time and I'm suffering no-mix withdrawl.... ;)

Phil

13. swavek

swavek NI Product Owner

At the risk of sounding dumb - how do you install XP on a MacBook without BootCamp?

Oh, and one other thing - do you have FS2? I can't get any straight answer from anyone at all as to whether FinalScratch (either with FS2 software, TDJS2, or TDJS3) works under XP on MacBook (or any other Intel Mac)?

NI tech support says they know of users for whom it works, Stanton tech support claims FS2 works, yet I haven't had any luck whatsoever with any of 'em, and my call for reply from anyone who got it going remains unanswered...

Am I wasting my time, should I get Serato instead, at least until either Stanton or NI get their isht together? I'm tired of being spread between a computer I want to use and a computer I want to sell but have to use...

14. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

You don't...

What I believe Phil was saying is that he doesn't have the Apple drivers (from the boot camp installer) installed in the windows side. The MB/MBP will still boot, but certain vendor specific functions won't be available for hardware...

15. swavek

swavek NI Product Owner

Right. But if that's the case, all I can say is - installing the drivers disk did make a noticeable difference for me.

16. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

Oh, most definitely. I installed them ASAP on my MB. One big one is the graphics card driver. Slow as molasses without it!

17. PhilL

OK let me clarify. I installed Bootcamp in the original OSX O/S and then fully setup Winders including all the Apple provided drivers. The OSX install then got destroyed 2 weeks after getting the McBook Pro. When I cleaned off and re-installed OSX, I never bothered re-installing Bootcamp in OSX because XP continued to work fine.

I could still boot into OSX or XP just fine and Winders already had the Apple provided drivers, so why bother?

Today I reinstalled the BootCamp Assistant (new ver 1.0.2). I built a new drivers disk that I installed it into XP at lunch time. XP continues to work fine, no testing done, but I see no difference in performance.

Does that explain it better?

Phil

18. swavek

swavek NI Product Owner

Yep! all's loud and clear now :)

19. badtz.maru

badtz.maru New Member

Excellent app!

BTW, I have a MacBook with the 3.1.1 update and it works well with the internal audio, ultimately I'm going to get an Edirol FA-66 although.

20. PhilL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.