make Battery INTUITIVE...

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by peedeebee, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peedeebee

peedeebee NI Product Owner

...with improvements like:

1) a "page-thru-windows" function - allowing left & right arrow keys or horizontal scrolling (mouse) to 'scroll' thru the various Edit Pane windows.

2) programmable keyboard shortcuts

3) display the name of the currently selected preset & whether it has
    been modified or not.

4) an undo function

5) logical intuitive details! For example, double clicking on the EQ gain knobs should reset to 0 dB (instead of -18dB).

6) the option to replace ALL cell parameter settings when loading &
    moving cells (including velocity, articulation, humanize settings, etc.)

7) option to 'copy a cell with key range' in the right click menu (for use between two instances of Battery).

8) browser files that 'unfold' (like in ableton live) allowing you to access cells contained in a kit from the browser & drag them into the currently loaded kit.

9) larger menu font. Battery 3 drop down menus (such as right click
    menu & the library menu, etc.) are difficult to read because of the font size.

2. peedeebee

hey, yeah... good idea me

3. SigmaF

SigmaF NI Product Owner

I was coming here prepared to argue that Battery was intuitive (ie. usable without reading a manual)...but those are all nice improvements that I would like to see. Except number 9.

4. sensorama

sensorama NI Product Owner

1) A BIGGER "Kore-like" browser (to categorize Kits AND Samples)

2) a step sequencer

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  5. NBrunk

NBrunk New Member

There is no undo button?

6. KTCK

KTCK New Member

What Battery really needs

1) I want to see improvements over automation / parameter control. Better control over rows and columns and not just cells. Control over generic parameters and not just those linked to a certain cell/s. Midi Control over things like zoom. Basically NI should look a the controller assignment page in Logic and do something like that.

I want to edit the cell column, the parameter name column.

Maybe this is too much to ask for for a plug in, but improvements in the automation page would really make Battery.

2) MIDI CLOCK When in standalone mode. Why can't battery tempo sync with incoming midi clock? Or at the very least why can't the tempo setting be saved with the kit.

3) Effects output. So I can feed all the dry cells to separate outputs and wet effects (delay and verb) to the master output.

7. Frenkel

Frenkel New Member

+1

8. KTCK

KTCK New Member

Here's a couple more things

4) How about a window that fits the screen when used has standalone? Many applications do it, Logic, Final Cut, Soundtrack. This would make sense when you use battery as a sampler on a laptop with an electronic/midi drum kit drum, or when you want to increase the number of rows or columns, why can't the window increase in size instead of a reduction in cell size, so that you then you can't read the cell names. I really don't want to see my desktop, just the battery window.

5) How about another folder /page in battery with a BASIC mixer on it? A fader, pan, delay, verb send for each of the cells? When balancing out the levels of a drum kit, it would be nice to have all the volume faders lined up in a row instead of having to jump from one cell to the next. It would also be a handy page to look at to see if anything is clipping the master. Maybe this doesn't have to be a page, but a button that shows/hides a fader on each of the cells. Going back to the idea of using this in standalone mode with a midi drum kit, imagine your playing along, you look over and for me the most important information I'd like to see would be the level/s and fader setting for each cell.

9. KTCK

KTCK New Member

Loop, Loop, Loop

Whilst it's on my mind. Here's some improvements that I'd love to see in the loop page.

1) An auto match function that will match the duration of the loop to the IN and OUT points in the wave editor / page.

2) A way of matching the loop duration to the tempo as well as sample duration. For example: My kick cell will loop to the duration of 1 beat (depending on the master tempo) for as long as I hold down the midi drum pad. So in the length slider section, instead of reading 20,353 samples, it would simply read 1 beat (130bpm). You could then choose between tempo match or samples.

3) To be able to double link the parameter and enter a new value with the computer keyboard, although I think this maybe an issue with the beta I'm currently running.

10. peedeebee

A Graphic Edit View

IMHO, Battery needs a graphic edit view where you can edit all of the major parameters of an instrument or cell in a VISUALLY interactive & intuitive way.

For example, the view has a room with an instrument (& a stick or mallet) in it. You can select the type, size & 'amount' of the room. You can also select the type of instrument (snare, tom, cymbal, hand drum, aux perc). Then you can select the type of snare, tom, cymbal, hand drum, etc.
    Click/dragging the instrument up or down could affect its size, changing the pitch setting. Doing the same with a drum muffle could affect the decay. Clicking on an image of a midi keyboard could allow you to easily assign the midi note.

I really think this or some other way of allowing a VISUALLY interactive approach to Battery's editing parameters will be much more intuitive & 'easy on the brain'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.