Make Native Access work offline !!

Discussion in 'NATIVE ACCESS' started by audio_processing, Nov 25, 2016.

1. audio_processing

audio_processing NI Product Owner

Hello NI,
    I know this was asked many times, but it was never assented.

We are professional users who make a living making music (which is hard), we are not young gamers who play online...
    We need safe and rock solid systems. The best way to keep the system safe is to not be connected to internet.
    If you add that Windows 10 constantly calls home to do 'strange things' in the background that kill real time processing and privacy without talking about W10 automatic updates that make the professional working system suddenly unstable like the Anniversary update. The best way to be protected from that is to be OFFLINE.
    So we need an offline download/update/authorization system or another system that can keep our workstation offline (like a handshake between Native Access connected to a online computer and the offline Workstation on the same Network... I even prefer a dongle alternative instead of your Native Access, that's for sure! (iLok gives you the choice between online activation or to use a dongle). I always thought that dongle is the past but it is still better than your brand new Native Access.

So please, NI don't be so inflexible !
    On some professional systems the cloud is not the future even if I can imagine you can make a lot of money with Big Data or by stopping support of old products.

Your answer is to to say our old products can still be activated with Service Center. Ok fine I will not buy new products in that case.
    And it begs this question. For how long will you maintain Service Center ?
    And it begs another question, when I buy a software, I have the installer on my hard drive and even a backup just in case... It is my property I bought it. But now we can't have the installer. What is our guaranty you will never stop providing the installation or the installer we bought even it is not supported anymore ? I use a lot of softwares that are unsupported because they are really good or for compatibility reasons, or because my clients doesn't have always the last versions ...
    So now in fact we don't buy a software we rent it, right ?

Best Regards,

Thomas

• Like Like x 10
  2. MWK

MWK New Member

I agree 100%.

See Arturia, Steinberg, Waves etc. how it works with offline activation.

3. Jeffrey Jansen

Jeffrey Jansen New Member

100% true
    I don't want to connect to Internet with my DAW!
    Best regards,
    Jeffrey

• Like Like x 1
  4. Re8et

Re8et New Member

Reason 10, authorize for offline use. And go to website opens with your account. Not Native access. They seems unrelated.

5. Daemus

Daemus New Member

Seriously now, they just have to do it.

I was looking into buying the latest Komplete version but since we're moving our whole DAW setup to an offline one, it looks like that ain't happening.

I've already started doing research on developers whose software doesn't require online authorization or at least support authorizing or transferring licenses from another computer to your main.

Having a computer hooked up to the internet in order to work with software you've already paid money for is stretching things too far.

Its counter productive and since we're rebuilding our setup to serve also as a mobile suite for off site recording sessions etc (and internet can be scarce sometimes), it's a one way road for us, too bad, too bad

6. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

Why not simply disconnect system from internet when you don't need to. You also need this option with Windows 10 in particular, since it will always auto-check for updates unless you manually switch to 'metered connection' from the settings. I disconnect my Mac and Windows 10 music studio and video editing machines from interwebs when working so I don't get nags about OS updates, or anything else. Best way to work. Then periodically I connect back to the web, to do periodic updates, patches, new stuff, etc. -- folks with home theatre PCs run into same issue, where system slows to crawl in middle of watching movie unless "off the net" due to Microsoft's auto update scheme. One thought anyway. ALSO: with the way NI does authorizations now, they do need your IP address to help thwart piracy -- meaning an unlimited offline authorization method would open things up to massive fraud (and I'm not going to tell you how, but it's an issue already with other software makers). So -- food for thought

7. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

You don't need to be connected to internet to use the software. Only to authorize new application licenses, or update existing ones.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Synthiements

Synthiements New Member

I'm on a stationary offline computer and I don't even have internet access at home! When I bought Maschine it was still offline capable. Then Native Access was introduced.

Is there a possibility to download the latest software updates and the Native Access software elsewhere to an USB hard drive and then transfer the installation files to the stationary offline computer, install everything and then authorize using an internet surf stick temporarily on the stationary computer? Does Native Access allow for this kind of procedure?

9. Seoman303

Seoman303 NI Product Owner

I do it this way: Having a computer with online access, I install the updates there and copy the downloaded ISO-file quickly to some other place. Then I install these ISO-files at the offline machine. But you can ask the support team directly, the last Reaktor 6 updates were provided to me via e-mail (and later made available here https://www.native-instruments.com/support/downloads/ ).
    To authorize offline I was able to use the old Service Center, but I'm not sure if it still works.

10. Seoman303

I just noticed, this does not work with newer products having letters as part of the serial. The input-fields of the service-center only allow numbers. :(

11. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

In past with Service Center it was possible.

Use an USB stick and follow Sim Chris' way.

12. mikezee

mikezee New Member

just bought the machine jam today and no i cant download the files i need ( native access for example"
    Download Failed on Native Access"
    ..im so sick of native instruments complicated software and install procedures..must be a german thing because i work as a plumber and all the stuff from germany is a total mess when it comes to installation manuals and stuff...im so angry now/..my machine jam is not more worth than my left sock...

13. Old Mike

Old Mike NI Product Owner

And I thought, only we Germans had prejudices! :eek:

14. mikezee

mikezee New Member

Hehe,,they make fine and solid cars though...love my Mercedes

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Seoman303

16. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

17. Seoman303

This is exactly what I was shown. But I'm afraid it is just a standard message in lack of something like 'not supported any more'. There was another thread (in the Traktor forums I think), where they encountered the same problem.

18. mabian

mabian NI Product Owner

Hello, adding a couple of interrelated use cases here for which Native Access as it is now is a real P.X.X.A....I just got Komplete 12... let's start considering I have quite a low bandwidth connection at home, where I most work with music (2 MegaBITS per second). Komplete 12 is several dozens giga bytes.

1) With this kind of connection It will take literally days to download all, I could just hope to get the files offline at first install and be back in hours whether I have to rebuild the machine (and, with Windows, it happens, even when just updating Win 10 to its next iteration) without a painful new redownload...

2) I could rely on a much faster connection at work or at friends' house, but I cannot bring my main DAW workstation, which is a minitower, each time I want to get new stuff or reinstall for whatever reason

In general, I'm ok with my DAW "contacting home" every once in a while to renew/check activations, but for main downloads it's a real pain here.
    Please consider more seriously this kind of scenarios.

Thanks,
    Mario

• Like Like x 1
  19. Captain Blasto

Captain Blasto New Member

Honestly, if you can't connect to the internet long enough to authorize software in your DAW: you either need to get a better internet connection or you're pirating software. If you can't connect to the internet to authorize NI plugins because your DAW is pirated: boohoo. You get what you pay for. I am connected to the internet 100% of the time and it has never impeded my workflow in any way. Just turn of notifications with Do Not Disturb and get right to work. What am I missing here?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  20. Old Mike

Old Mike NI Product Owner

I think he just has a very low bandwidth. Try to get the Komplete 12 hard disc from anyone, who has purchased the boxed version.