Make Native Mix Recorder Highest Priority for Traktor Scratch Pro .1 Release / Update

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by blancodisco, Oct 17, 2008.

1. blancodisco

blancodisco NI Product Owner

This is a plea to NI to please re-incorporate the Native Mix Recorder functionality into the new Traktor Scratch Pro as soon as stabley possible.

I hope that others here on the forum can chime in here in agreement and +1 this.. or add your wishes for the next release post Nov.1 release.

thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dj mutley

dj mutley NI Product Owner

sorry never used it

3. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Fear not! it is high on the mind of many testers.

Phil

4. blancodisco

that's a shame that you haven't.
    it's actually quite cool.

i can mix for 20 minutes. stop. come back another day. record another 25-30 minutes stop.. go back tweak a level or an eq move as an OVERDUB after review. It's handy without leaving a huge audio foot print.
    I love that it stores the mix as tiny data and not audio at this stage not unlike a midi sequencer / daw software app.

i also reckon it's a less cpu intensive to record this data, but more of a nightmare to program it to make it actually work correct, and maybe why it is is not part of the initial pro release.

I don't always have the luxury of a 2-3 hour timeslot to do a full mix session and being able to save as data gives me that feeling that I don't have to fully commit if I don't want too. ;)

5. jonniesparko

jonniesparko Forum Member

I understand how this is a great feature, but I currently don't use it.

6. lancota

lancota NI Product Owner

It's a really nice feature for recording live sets (assuming you do all your mixing within the software with a midi controller). I've been able to record all my live sets once I switched internally for all my mixing. It's nice because unlike a live feed from a house mixer, you have zero audio interference, and can always review your mix after the fact. Very very useful IMO.

7. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

You should just make perfect mixes like I do.

8. Fohat

Fohat Forum Member

9. evilduerr

evilduerr Forum Member

don't use it. if i have to do any cut+paste i open up soundforge.

10. pr0ficient

pr0ficient Forum Member

This is an excellent feature, so quick and easy to use. I use it to record all of my mixes!

Please don't make me go back to running another program just to record my mix!

11. scrambled_egg81

scrambled_egg81 NI Product Owner

Hasn't it been driven into the ground that the MIX RECORD function is staying, only Native Mix is getting the boot? >.<

And +2 for chilly's idea.

12. pr0ficient

pr0ficient Forum Member

Not driven in the ground enough b/c I was still confused! :p

Well then, I could really care less if native mix gets the boot!

13. evilduerr

evilduerr Forum Member

if this is to be brought back they really need to update it. It would be much more useful if there was a grid similar to that of daws, where you could draw in the parameters as well as edit parameters by simply drawing in.

as it was the native mix recorder was quite an awkward thing to use. much easier to do edits in soundforge.

but if they did implement a grid feature i think i'd be very interested.

It couldnt hurt traktor to have some more daw like functions.

14. blancodisco

Sound Forge or any audio editor is fine for splice/edits of AUDIO only, but doesn't do you any good if you want to re-adjust channel levels, pitch fixes, crossfade mix, eq, fx.. umm any sort of control.

DAW functionality for editing mixes could be cool. I wouldn't expect that til at least a HIGHER version rev of Tratkor Pro, certainly not a .X type of release.

Native Mix recorder is really not that awkward, think of it as a spiffed up Tape Deck.

15. boysteve

boysteve NI Product Owner

There's a perfectly reasonable technical argument to be made in favor of the NMX option over internal audio recording: NMX is not disk-intensive, whereas if you are audio recording you are streaming tracks from your HD for mixing AND spooling TO your HD to record. Even if you use 2 HDs, it adds a decent amount of overhead that can reduce functionality.

I suppose you could record audio to an external HD, but I don't know if I'd trust it. I use the NMX function regularly even though I never go back and edit the NMX file; it's just a convenient way to record without stressing your resources, and you can always render to wav anytime later.

So, personally, even though there are more important issues I hope TPro addresses, I hope they reinstate NMX recording at some point.

16. ecirp

ecirp Forum Member

+1 for native mix recorder. Wicked feature.

17. Jard

Jard Forum Member

18. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

I use native Mix every almost every day. I can do dozens of mixes of a set and not worry about burning up hardrive space. Edit the mix I like for perfection. Im even bouncing the mix out in mulit track and recording it in a daw So i can mess with it further. I love it. If pro doesn't ahve the function I will still use three for my studio work .

19. Matthew Daniel

Matthew Daniel New Member

Auto track splitting.

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the ability to auto track split in native mix recorder.

If you're making a mix CD it's really nice to record your set in native mix recorder and then auto split your tracks on crossfade. When you burn to disk, if you burn gapless, the mix remains intact and you can skip to your favorite parts.

Also, if I remember right, older versions of native mix auto named the splits with the track name MP3 tags. I think you could even burn to CD in Traktor. This was awesome and really made a professional looking demo with very little effort.

Pretty please bring all of this functionality back.

20. boysteve

boysteve NI Product Owner

I never found that where it split had anything to do with where I wanted to identify the new track coming in. If I gradually brought in a loop it would split the moment I started crossing over to it, well before you could hear it. And it's only worthwhile if you run a standard overlap-and-crossover DJ arrangement anyhow; if you're cutting up, looping, dropping in sections, running a few decks at once and changing the relative volume/EQ weights to get different mixtures, the split is worthless anyhow.