Make Native Mix Recorder Highest Priority for Traktor Scratch Pro .1 Release / Update

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by blancodisco, Oct 17, 2008.

1. robinloops

robinloops Forum Member

Well put...

2. Pervert

Pervert New Member

please please please put native mix recorder in traktor pro. i just purchased the kontrol s2 and it doesn't work all too well traktor dj studio 2. i know it's old but i don't use any of the current traktors because they don't have native mix recording.

3. kaaos

kaaos Forum Member

i was a long time user and stopped using traktor because of them not using native mix back into pro. it was buggy in t3 but stable in 2.5.x if they reincorporate it i will buy pro until then i will use serato

4. 00Piano

00Piano New Member

nmx was a gem, never forget!

can you, NI, provide us users with an official statement why you've been avoiding it now for three years and so many release upates? maybe if there is proper reason, we can understand... but ATM, at least for my part, I don't get it why killer features like nmx recording were killed.

+1234567890 from me!

5. edschi

edschi New Member

I'll give it a try why NI might have killed this feature ...

I was posting earlier in this list, that I'm not happy with the fact that the Mix Recorder was killed.
    Everybody keeps asking why it might have been killed.

Back when I bought my first version of Traktor I had a quite cheap one-channel sound interface.
    I was able to root my headphones through this, and the main through the audio-output.
    Right before Native Instruments introduced their own hardware interface the support of such low- and mid-range interfaces was dropped.

I've just updated to Traktor Pro 2 during the thanksgiving sale. (Still using Traktor DJ Stuidio 3).
    My conclusion: You can have fun with Studio 3 without having an external midi controller. With the Mix Recorder you are able to add effects and filters in overdub mode if you can't take care of all the knobs in real-time.
    Looking at Traktor Pro 2 makes it pretty obvious. Without a midi-controller it is pretty hard to use this software. The software-interface dropped even more features, while NI just released their second midi-controller. It's about selling hardware and focussing on live-djing rather than "hobby" mix-tape-producers. Which is completely ok.

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee NI Product Owner

Yes, because using software with preset hotcues and cuepoints is "Live" dj'ing...

I lol @ this.

Just like putting 2 songs together is called a "Mashup"

aykm? Try rocking vinyl on 4 TTables. That's "live"

Bring back NMR already.

7. h00lah00la

h00lah00la NI Product Owner

I happen to do both. With an audience you mix differently than for a "mixtape".. With Studio you could do both. Pro sucks for mixtape recording without NMR.. Hopeless case it seems.

8. snug_de

snug_de New Member

I am wondering all the time whether it is ok from a legal point of view that NI sells an UP-grade which in fact cuts out a central function of the product (so in fact acts as a partial downgrade). At least for me as a non professional user.
    Has anyone ever checked this?
    Cheers!

9. robinloops

robinloops Forum Member

Of course companies aren't required to retain every feature of older versions when they come up with new software. That would just be silly. Imagine windows 7 with every feature of windows since windows 98... Well, actually it'd have to go back further than that... Software would become so top heavy nothing would run correctly due to incompatible code, etc. and it would require a library of install disks.

There's no requirement that anyone purchase new versions of the software that companies produce. If someone doesn't like the features that have been abandoned in order to add new ones, they can continue using the older versions. It's just that simple.

10. snug_de

snug_de New Member

The Windows analogy is ok when speaking about compatibility to other products, this can of course not be given over decades of product evolvement. But when talking about features I would assume that you can complete with win7 more than 99% of win95's tasks (except soundrecorder maybe or is there something included again now?), plus many more of course.
    To me, removing NMX-recording from a Traktor-UP-grade is like removing a core feature like the 'save'-button and -function from Windows and Office. You would never expect them to do this when you buy a new version, would you?
    (This probably wouldn't bother the Pro-users because they directly print after typing...)
    Cheers!

11. robinloops

robinloops Forum Member

Whether or not it's a good idea to remove something or not, the question was about whether they are allowed to from a legal standpoint. Legally they have the freedom to develop the software in any direction they want and we have the freedom to purchase it or not and go with something else... The point I was making with my last post is that software development is left up to software developers not legislators.

As far as the answer to the question goes... Perhaps if they were to have a mandatory update that removed main features there could be a class action lawsuit but this of course would not apply to an upgrade, as that is legally considered a new version of the software. So the short answer is 'no' they are not legally bound by old versions of the software.

Speaking of removing the save feature... Mac has moved away from the save feature on Lion and although not completely gone they definitely changed the way things are saved (doesn't apply to saving within 3rd party software). I thought I would hate this at first but in the end I love it and think it is a great evolution of computing (never loose something because you didn't save). Laws prohibiting that kind of thing would severely stifle the evolution of computing... Because software developers understand software development much better than legislators.

And as far as difference between win95 and windows 7: There are tons of programs (expensive ones) that are not compatible. That was necessary to move up to 64 bit computing. If there were the type of legal restrictions you speak of we'd still be stuck on 32 bit computing. On Macs with lion there's tons of expensive programs and hardware that are no longer compatible, again the price of progress. But again people have the option to upgrade or not to upgrade...

12. cthoxie

cthoxie New Member

is there anything similar one could use?

as someone that uses traktor mostly for live dj'ing, i sorely miss the native recording. if you want to take your time and craft a really nice mix to share with people, it was the way to go, to make sure each note is perfect. saves so much time, being able to come back to it and just pick up where you left off. now i don't make those nice mixes to share, only record my live sets, which i always want to go back and improve on. but i just don't have the time to spend doing that, since you have to essentially start from scratch each time (no pun intended). has anyone figured out how to accomplish what native recording could do with any other software? or any developers reading this feel like figuring that out and making it? i would pay good money for such a product, and i bet others on this thread feel the same.

maybe we need to do a kickstarter campaign? i miss making those mixes!

13. davscanlon

davscanlon NI Product Owner

What is "live" djing?

I understand Djs performing there own songs live with instrumental/abelton and live vocalist, but live djing?

Please explain

14. bi!LY eagle

bi!LY eagle Forum Member

I assume he's talking about a gig "performing live", instead of just practicing or messing around.

15. czopek

czopek New Member

Hi, please write step by step how to turn Native Mix Recorder in Traktor Pro 2 2.5. thank you very much

[​IMG]

16. rhintintin

rhintintin New Member

Argh. Just got a MixTrack Pro, I have installed Traktor 3 previously. I love the native mix recorder too, because my skills are weak and I like to do things in short bursts. But now I can't get my MixTrack Pro to play nice with Traktor 3 and the bundled software won't let me record. DOn't see the point in upgrading to Pro if it doesn't have one of my most used features. :(

17. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

what is native mix recorded used for ?

18. TomDooley0075

TomDooley0075 NI Product Owner

It was a very nice feature to record a mix non destructive.
    Traktor was capturing ALL your value changes on the mixer and transport section. if you made a mistake, in the last 5 min of your mix, it was very easy to correct this.
    rewind, overwrite the data and go!
    after everything was like you want to have it, you could make a "final" audio bouncing and - BAM! your perfect mix ready for CD.

19. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

i really don't see the benefit of editing a mix like that

20. TomDooley0075

TomDooley0075 NI Product Owner

cause you never experienced this ;-))

I knew this kind of recording from "Logic" and always like to edit something after recording - just in case a single transition is faulty..