Make this world a better place and give us what we want...

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by derivative, Oct 15, 2016.

1. derivative

derivative New Member

...a proper DAW mode. Actually NI does not really know what they are doing to some of us...limiting our musical expression. F*ck capitalism...i thought this is was music is all about...freedom. i know this sounds cheesy...but at least i care ;)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Kimbo72

Kimbo72 NI Product Owner

So whats your point?

3. derivative

derivative New Member

hmm...i thought i expressed myself. despite that, there are enough threads about the lack of integration regarding DAWs. Putting this straight...for me this is becoming some kind of joke. In a way i understand that NI wants to build their own ecosystem, but musically speaking i just don´t get it. i´m just disappointed...after all the promisses they made. it´s obvious there are business decisions behind that.

4. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

I think theyre cheating on us with another girl :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

"DAW mode" for you means turn off Maschine sequencer button in plugin.. I assume?

6. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

I wouldn't imagine. What good would that do? You don't have to use the sequencer if you don't want, just like any other feature.

7. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

Moving forward in my life I'll buy a pattern based sampler/sequencer and complain it's not a proper daw, after that I'm buying a car that will no doubt displease me with its 4 doors and 5 seats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

But surely you'll buy the car with the expectation that the manufacturer will provide a hover conversion as a free upgrade (when it's ready and they've got the design and functionality right)...

I second this big time. Blaming the sequencer for DAW integration issues makes no sense. The only time the sequencer will impact use of Maschine as a plugin is if you're trying to use both DAW and Maschine sequencers in tandem, but getting them round your neck (easily done, but it's just a case of learning how both sequencers work and how they can work together if you want/need that - it's typically better and easier to just use one). Most of the DAW integration issues I know and read about have nothing to do with the sequencer at all.

I would say that the option to keep Sound- and Group-level audio and MIDI routing (where possible) when loading new Groups and more audio inputs and outputs would go a long way to assisting the majority of Maschine plugin users. These would benefit standalone users too.

In the time, if I wanted to use Maschine to record into/through a DAW and as a sound module, I'd probably just use the dummy Group approach (i.e., Groups set up for MIDI input from the DAW to load kits into and dummy Groups to play MIDI into and through the DAW to trigger the Sounds).

9. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

It's not possible to use them in tandem, they can only be used in parallel :p

10. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

If one is the host, acting as master, and the other the plugin, acting as slave, one is leading and in front of the other: in tandem. Ableton Link would allow parallel usage.

(I see what you meant though.)

11. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

Just joshing with you, after all you can't be the only person allowed to stick their tongue out.

The OP sounds like a Michael Jackson fan :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. CakeAlexS

If you are just using the DAW sequencer then no need for Maschine sequencer. Turn it off or turn parts of it off. Geist for instance works this way you can pretty much turn anything off, this simplifies the user interface and stuff you don't need is greyed out, and reduces resources.

• Like Like x 1
  13. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Your assuming the sequencer is using any significant resources when not in use and I doubt that very seriously. The GUI can toggle to mixer where you have plugin view. Point is this feature would not really help anything and is not the main issue folks are having when using with a DAW. Preserving sound level i/o routing when loading groups is the biggest issue.

• Like Like x 2
  14. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

You think you'd have ANY of this stuff without the capitalism that you wish to see f*cked?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mr Mahogany

Mr Mahogany NI Product Owner

If you went to a product demo and the company salesman, in this case Josh from NI ,told the audience that their new Maschine has great daw integration and you bought because it did, you'd be a little pissed when they changed it (2.0 update). You'd want a DAW mode to make it like it was or at LEAST an explanation of where development is going. All that is needed is to stop 3 parameters from resetting when a Group is loaded, Thats all.

I guess its always been a phenomenon of online forums that some users need to lash out at other users who request functions they dont need or address features that have been altered. I cant complain too much as I'm sure I've done this before. The lesson for me now is to resist the need to weigh in on workflows that will never affect me and not be a snarky jerkoff.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CakeAlexS

Agreed totally. I was earlier asking though what DAW mode means.Actually disabling unused features does help resources and simplify user interface. This is darn well desirable as plugin, there is always limited resources within a DAW. What you are saying definitely should be part of that as a priority. I put this in feature requests myself a year ago(2?) so it isn't news to me. Damn it why don't people just download Geist and see how a couple of developers do it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  17. detech

detech NI Product Owner

If Maschine is used only as a sound module, then it should have an option to turn off sequencer view.
    It's a waste of screen space, not only ressources.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. bibbster

bibbster New Member

For me remembering the IO routing is the real drawback as is getting midi data from Maschine into Logic. My preferred workflow is to sketch out a tune in Maschine, when i reach the limit of my or Maschine's ability to develop further I move to Logic. Just getting the Midi and outputs set up can literary take forever - it certainly kills the creative side of things more often than not.

• Like Like x 3
  19. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

Can't you just at make a template and save as on logic ?

At least then you only suffer once

20. Mr Mahogany

Mr Mahogany NI Product Owner

a template wont stop Maschine from resetting Sounds to Midi Notes, or turning Midi Thru on every time a Group is loaded