Making it all work together?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Rabid, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabid

Rabid NI Product Owner

I'm posting here because I don't see a "General" forum for questions about multiple devices.

I've had Maschine for about a week and today I just got a box at work with Kore 2, Kore Electronic Experience and Audio Kontrol 1. This should make for a nice laptop system with the idea of avoiding the large libraries that come with Komplete. But, before gettng home with the new items I am wondering about possible problems with having so many USB devices. I ordered Audio Kontrol 1 because it is USB 2. Now for the questions.

Is Maschine and Kore 2 USB2? If not, will running Maschine or Kore 2 and AK1 at the same time cause my USB bus to treat all devices at USB1?

When I use a USB keyboard at the same time that will be 4 USB devices on a laptop with 3 ports. Will Maschine and Kore 2 run off of a USB hub?

2. Suicide Server

Suicide Server Forum Member

Hey Rabid,

the best solution would be to connect the AK1 to a separate usb bus. I have the AK1 on one bus and the other bus goes to a powered hub, where i connected maschine, akai mpd32 and my mouse without any issues.

Cheers

3. Rabid

Rabid NI Product Owner

Thanks. That makes sense. I know the Windows laptop has USB jacks on both sides. I'll do some experimenting to see if the left and right side jacks are on a different bus. I think I can plug in a USB drive and look in device manager to see which bus it is on. The MacBookPro also has jacks on each side of the laptop but I am not sure how to tell if the bus is different for each side. I’m not as comfortable digging into OSX as I am with Windows.

4. Suicide Server

Suicide Server Forum Member

If that helps:

On the MacBook Pro you should use the left usb for the AK1 and the right one for the controllers (Maschine / Kore2), because the right usb bus shares bandwith with the built in isight.

5. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

Maschine and Kore2 are both USB2

sowari

6. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Robert =)

As Phil said, both Kore and Maschine are USB 2. Powered hubs should work; just make sure they're putting out the full 500 mA per port that the USB spec calls for.

ew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.