Making music with Reaktor, Live and in the Studio

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by spencerTron, Mar 30, 2008.

1. spencerTron

spencerTron NI Product Owner

I thought it would begood to have this thread on here (and others have, i think) because we're all into different things, as opposed to being stuck on, say, a drum n bass forum, or house music forum or whatever, listening to one genre...but instead listening to others use the same instrument (the instrument being Reaktor) in the form of clips/whole tunes or whatever...i do actually wonder what fellow users do here and if there are untapped possibilities which i might hear with reaktor by listening to others i.e. what are you upto with it?...anyway i thought i'd start proceedings :)

Today i recorded a live improvised Dubstep 'jam'...done with reaktor in standalone, there was prep work done for sounds, snapshots etc, all sounds generated in reaktor (bar a couple of samples)...then i just went for it...im fairly pleased with how it went. :)...i hope others wanna post up their reaktor based audio musings

P U R E P H A S E_improvised_dubstep.mp3 - 8.59 minutes

it's by no means perfect but i guess thats the nature of improvisation...or my lack of caress.

Edit: i hope this isn't seen as off topic, but provided it isn't used for promoting your 'band/artist' then i think it should alright.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  2. JPaul23

JPaul23 NI Product Owner

I'm downloading it now. I think that for this thread to be usefull it would be good if folks explained how they made their tracks.

3. spencerTron

Definitely...

i thought i wouldn't do it in the first instance just because i don't think the audio i posted is weird/complex enough to need an explanation as such, (but being as i did it, it's probably natural that i would see it like that)...but i thought i'd start with some music nevertheless.;)

4. Horuschild

Horuschild NI Product Owner

Ok not off topic. I think a list of ensemble should be posted as well, Importance of use. etc. This way its not just about having us listen to tunes but learning what others are doing and trying out something else etc.

Nice tune by the way. I would have like to have some vocal samples in there, the voice is always nice to break things up even if it abstract.

5. spencerTron

ah, you posted just as i did...

it just so happens...i had some Charles Manson vocal samples and dub vocal sample that i found, that i didn't use on that 'jam' though i intended on using it, purely accidental that i didn't :) probably a good thing as it wasn't very pleasant.

as for ens. beatlookup (clist)/carbon1/massive groovebox/bluematrix/ pitchshifter+delay effect...and a TR-608 'By Ba'

alot of the beats where pre made in my DAW and then loaded and used in a sampler...but i'm gonna probably make all beats into .wav's because it's easier on the CPU.

6. JPaul23

JPaul23 NI Product Owner

Thats cool.
    Here's a wee semi-improvised thing I made using a couple of instances of Reaktor in a host (Orion Platinum dontchaknow, even simpler to use than FruityLoops) . I was mixing them live using the Orion mixers and channel mutes.
    The "guitar" is the brilliant Acoustring ensemble, a loop of which is also being played in Random Step Shifter and that passed through the sequenced glex effect. The voice is a sample of my friend jeanne, played in Travelizer, and this is also doubled though Echomania to give that rising and falling dub effect.The bass is an Orion plucked string instrument.
    I can't remember what the clicky-clacky noise is, as I added that later. Sorry about the distortion.
    Off to listen to the dubstep now.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/37482953-f1bb-407f-a65f-ae4399f18cd0/JPaul23-IMO

7. m3m

m3m Moderator

Here's a song I recorded a few months ago:

dave_pape_-_we_become_this.mp3 - 7.09MB

My favourite sound (apart from my gran telling 1930s raving stories) is from a Reaktor ensemble I threw together to make random sinewave "pings" in various different scales, and then mash them up a bit with a Banaan Elecrique. I recorded the sinewaves into Cubase, then patted them around on the timeline until they fit, and put some reverbs on.

...And that's about it - it's not mad banging, and I haven't played it to many people yet, but I hope you like it :)

8. spencerTron

nice, is that your vocal? sounds like early spiritualized/jason pierce... circa Lazer Guided Melodies...use to have that album on constant rewind.

forgot to mention also used Banaan electrique on LFO bass, it's generally where i go to for my distortions.

jpaul23 that file player wouldn't play for me

9. JPaul23

JPaul23 NI Product Owner

10. JPaul23

JPaul23 NI Product Owner

Lovely, really like the backing.

11. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

OK- I'll play =)

Here's one I did as a demo when EIv2 first came out. It's Metaphysical Function, Akkord and Photone. No other effects or instruments, and no overdubs; what you hear is what you got.

Transformation

ew

12. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

And, if you want the Metaphysical Function bank I used:

MF-ew1

ew

13. Horuschild

What the sample used in that? Sounds like Sheila Chandra

edit: just look at the snapshot bank, thanks.

14. spencerTron

makes me want to buy EI 2...but thats after i get Logic Studio...and a new set of monitors and a new sound card :-(

does EI 1 and 2 only come in download format? i only like buying Disc versions of software...weird i know.

15. Horuschild

Spencer EI2 is worth getting for Metaphysical function alone, but I have a feeling that you will LOVE photone.

16. logic_user99

logic_user99 Forum Member

Nice one, sT. This thread's really quite excellent :cool: I haven't got, at the moment, anything to offer up as an example of work - I rarely use R5 as a standalone program. However, since everyone seems to be getting down with it (!) I'll go back to the drawing board and try some stuff out.

I have questions!
    How many of you use completely 'from scratch' instruments?
    How many of you actually play synth parts etc live?
    Can we see some screen caps of your ensembles?

This is like asking magicians to share their tricks... :eek:

17. spencerTron

Nothing I use is completely from scratch. Live-wise it’s mostly made up of Factory instruments and some UL ens with functional modifications. I’ve a small handful of mash-ups from the ‘Classic Modular’ factory macro’s for basic things like my ‘Core-Free’ basic 3 osc synth which I’m not overly proud of but it gives me some good sounds, but again those are factory Macro’s…Anything else I have built is purely for functionality/practical use and not for sound generating…

50/50 for me

My feelings on actual live playing of synths and other things (in a live solo situation) has changed over the past year, I’m not bothered anymore to play in the synths really, performance is less important…I’d sooner free up CPU and have lots of effects and mangling tools to play with against the sounds i have prepared.

I’ll just say that it has helped watching friends who are DJ’s, that play their own productions on the decks and DJ as an ‘artist’ unlike common musicians, made me more comfortable with the idea of having a lot of my sounds as samples (I know that sounds silly, but it helped)…I was all for total live input but I don’t think it’s totally necessary anymore…plus I’ve usually had a drink or summat…so accuracy is not my finest point.

i could post summat up later...but it’s not the prettiest thing…I wish I had horuschild’s skills to ‘pimp my ens’

@ Horuschilld – I’ll probably pose this question to NI but do you knw if EI2 come’s in hardformat or download only? I’d never thought I’d by a reaktor instrument…but they look and sound too good not to have.

18. logic_user99

logic_user99 Forum Member

19. spencerTron

20. Horuschild

I have the download verison of EI2 and I am happy with that I just backed it up so it doesn't get lost. MF is worth the download and cost, it really cool, but for you dub sounds I think you will be head-over-heels with Photone.

Send the ens to me @ hlishnub6@yahoo.com I'll see what I can do, I think that would make you 3rd in line so you don't need to rush, but I am happy to do what I can.

I am trying to find a few minuets to do something for stand-alone, conditions all custom ensembles or at least things that I have had a hand in making, or mod that I made much my own by make all presets from skratch, and I am going to limit myself to one hours to get it together and recorded and converted to MP3. If I get that far I will post the ensemble with it. Piece of cake...:S or in other words it will suck.