Malfunctioning right screen on KKMK2 S61 (contrast?)

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by HammyHavoc, Aug 2, 2018.

1. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Hey all,

Yet more issues with KKMK2; so I go to use my KKMK2 S61 today and I'm getting a problem with the right screen; looks white and like the contrast has gone to crap, looks brighter than the correctly functioning left screen. Tried changing brightness, turning it off and on, unplugged the power supply, swapped USB cables and tried it on a different machine. Even updated the software. Has anybody else seen anything like this before? If so, how did you sort it? I've contacted NI. Here's hoping the handling of this is better than their handling of the lack of MCU in KKMk2.

DSC_0322.jpg DSC_0323.jpg DSC_0324.jpg DSC_0325.jpg DSC_0326.jpg

2. HammyHavoc

And to top it off, the contents of the screens don't appear to change as expected either anymore.

3. Tim @ NI

Tim @ NI Director | Music Production NI Team

Hi HammyHavoc

Please contact Technical Support who can confirm of this is a hardware issue and advise accordingly.

Best,
    Tim

4. spdycar13

spdycar13 New Member

Was there a resolution to this? I shipped mine in for repairs and was sent a "new" controller. The new one has the same issue. It's not as bad as the photos shown here but my right screen is dimmer than the left. I tried different usb cables and a different computer before I submitted it for repairs. Now the new one looks the same as the old one.

5. HammyHavoc

The screen on my unit when I sent it in was definitely more than just a different brightness, it wasn't changing pixels at all in part of it.

My replacement sounds like yours; two slightly different screens. Guessing NI's QA is pretty horrible if you are having the same issue.

6. spdycar13

spdycar13 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. As you know, it’s frustrating to invest in something to have one of the big selling points to end up being mismatched screens. Seems like my first one started after its last firmware update. The replacement has the same firmware so I’ve mentioned it to Frank at NI. He’s been helpful so far. I sent more photos in as well. Hopefully a software update to adjust each screen could be done to help resolve this issue. The camera self adjusts so it’s not as evident in this pic.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. HammyHavoc

If it's possible to fix in a firmware update then that would be stellar. You can already change the brightness on the keyboard, but being able to change the contrast too to get them similar would be a major help. Quite distracting at times.

8. hlf

hlf NI Product Owner

SH*T, this on top of everything mate... Shouldn't have put the right one in the freezer though...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. spdycar13

spdycar13 New Member

I'll get a picture of my screens with a camera that doesn't auto correct the image. The one I uploaded doesn't really show the severity of the problem. It is especially bad when you have an instrument with a light color background with white text. It is impossible to read the text, no matter which direction the brightness is, high or low. This results in having to use the computer screen which makes the screens pointless and good money wasted to get the screens. It was great when I got it less than a year ago. The replacement they sent me is doing the same thing so I seriously wonder if the latest firmware updated caused the problem with the screens. Someone mentioned that a previous KK controller had an option in the software to adjust the left and right screens independently of each other. That would be great and would probably resolve these problems.

10. mattrixx

mattrixx NI Product Owner

Mmm, this has just starting happening on my S88 MKII. Left screen is brighter even with Brightness turned all the way down.
    Any news on firmware etc etc???

11. HammyHavoc

I ended up sending it to NI's repair center, they replaced the whole keyboard, sent me a new one. Was an OK experience, one of the knobs feels a little different to the rest, though the screen is fixed/replaced, but couldn't be bothered sending it back once again as it's a tool for work and needed to be using it.

12. mattrixx

mattrixx NI Product Owner

I'm in Australia... so that might take awhile. Mmm. I still have my old S88 in the shed, so could recommission that for a while I guess.

• Like Like x 1