1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Manual beat mixing crew, check in!

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by S1L1C0N, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

It most definitely classifies you as a manual beat matcher, honestly whether you think so or not, you are using your ears in conjunction with your eyes. Your ears can't steer you wrong, phase meters can. Trust me, your ears wont let your eyes make the wrong move if you come from a solid vinyl background.

2. rocdollar

rocdollar NI Product Owner

I think people do assume it is a lazy option but this is not the case at all. I can beatmatch very well manually too, but I choose not to so that I can reclaim that time and concentration for other tasks. It's about your priorities - if you find it satisfying to beatmatch manually go ahead but there will always be an annoying git like me letting the computer do it for me so that I they can raise other parts of their set that cannot be taken care of my the machine.

I admit I may feel more like a 'proper DJ' if I pretended I needed to beatmatch but I also think I would feel like I was cheating the listener out of a more interesting mix.

3. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

I guess thats up for everyones individual interpretation because I like to consider myself a mixologist, I go for very clean mix ala David Morales. I don't really use effects, or layer up 4 tracks just because I can. I let my music selection follow the vibe I feel from the crowd when I mix, I don't pre plan my sets in any way.

mix, drink some coke, mix, talk to a chick, mix, drink some coke, mix, etc.. The tracks already have enough effects and breaks, but I guess that is part of the genre.

4. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

what sort of thoughts do you guys have about the nmx system and its control of the mix.

5. rocdollar

Sounds good - one of the most important things I have learned is to use my discretion as to what would add value and not do things, as you say, just because it is possible.

6. rocdollar

It doesn't work at the moment - ignore the native mix recorder for now! it used to in version 2.53 or something and I used it quite a lot.

It is a big thing for fixing and getting right in T4 I hope.

7. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

And that sir makes a good Dj! Tooo many times I hear people **** up a track by "playing" with features of their hardware or software.

8. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

What is that?

9. buenputter

buenputter NI Product Owner

NMX = Native Mix Recording

10. rocdollar

Definately...it takes a lot of practice and yes skill to do these digital stunts properly. Without the need to beatmatch, you get a little time credit to audition and make sure when you do bring something in such as an effect it sounds good and not just a failed experiment you will blush about before fading.

I find the fx like the filters and beatmasher especiallly useful during transitions - if used sparingly and in a varied way.

11. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

its in the details panel. its a seperate module that records all the actions in traktor and the timecode of the songs that are being played. It records everything that is goin on in traktor and then when played back it repeats all those actions and code movement. You can dub commands onto the playback such as eq and fader values. It isn't totally developed yet. But it has massive capabilities. One has to understand that the current nmx creates a static timeline and then the tracks are and audio transport are glued down. But all the audio effecting parameters are variable and re-programmable. this is somewhat limiting. But could be improved with out drastically changing anything else in the functions of the program.

Its sort of the experimental end of traktor's programming and alot of people mis-understand its truer nature which subsequently hasn't even been developed yet.

currently its best use is too be able to save hardrive space and listen to your mixing. an hours set records in nmx with about 20-40 mbs of space. it does this because it doesn't record actual audio just command and time structure.

12. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

Ahh yes the built in recorder thingie.

13. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

I too come from a background of many years manual beat matching with both Vinyl & CD's back when Pioneer brought their first CDJ.

Wow, is it really that long ago?

Digital DJing is really the skill of learning how to best use these new tools to improve performances, fetch new and existing ideas and entertain, while reducing things like having to fetch several large crates of vinyl etc.

I try to use whatever tools I have at my disposal to produce a mix, only limited by my imagination and skills.

Beatgrids, sync functions are great for producing multi-layered quick mixes on the fly, normally only possible via multi-track pre-recording. Beatjumps, recalling of loops/cue points and various FX can further extend mix possibilities.

However, nothing beats having a ear for music and beat matching quickly and skillfully. Takes much practice and talent. Like a great guitarist, drummer etc.

14. DiscoPoelie

DiscoPoelie NI Product Owner

I turned the phase meter of, as I cought myself watching it while mixing. And with that there are 2 problems:
    1) The phase meter sometimes does strange things. Especially when your beatgrid isn't manually set, and when used with non-straight beats (RnB, drum and bass, or even a break with house). Also, when not manually set it's a little (not much) 'off'. So my eyes and my ears where battling each other, telling my hand which way I had to push the platter ;)
    2) You start staring at you computer screen, while you should look at the crowd to see how they react to the music you're playing. Either beatmatch manually with ears, OR use auto sync. But avoid staring at the computer screen, as this is a killer for the necesarry contact with the crowd....

But on the other hand: this feature once saved my gig: I broke the jack plug of my headphone, and had to wait an hour for the spare to arrive.... I can tell you that I was soooo glad I could just flick the option on again and show the phase meter ;)

15. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

Fully Manual here! Have been using the sync button for first time on the plane and on holiday when im messing around . I enjoy the art of beatmatching simple as . Im also a believer in whats been said before about not chucking loads of fx in just because you can . I dont really have anything against ppl using sync if its gona produce a better result but personally i enjoy it too much to discard

16. -dthree-

-dthree- Forum Member

Seems like the opinions on the sync are all over the map. I think thats a good sign as it means traktor serves the needs of a variety of dj's with different kinds of skills. I beatgrid and sync, but I also read some good advice on the forum from Phil. He mentioned that too many traktor DJs were obsessed with keeping the phase meter centered when it is more important to listen to what is going on. I grid everything, but I do listen closely and adjust to "off-sync" if it sounds like the match is off. I admit I still have a lot to learn, but I am sticking with all digital to do it.

17. iamscoby

iamscoby NI Product Owner

HA HA HA HA HA!

18. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

I have been a die-hard beat-gridder since I moved from vinyl/CD to Traktor three years ago. All this talk of manual beat matching got me wondering "can I still do it?"

So after some rummaging around under my bed I retrieved a very dusty Pioneer CDJ-100 and my trusty Gemini UMX-7 mixer. Hooked the lappie into one channel and the CDJ into the other...

...and I'm happy to say I managed some spot-on mixes with house, uk garage and breaks (had to make sure it wasn't a fluke)! :)

Two things struck me while mixing away:
    1. I'd forgotten how satisfying it was to 'do-it-yourself'
    2. I really prefer the feel of my real, well built, mixer to the plasticky X-session MIDI controller I now use.

Will it change my beat-gridding habit... nope, because on balance beat-gridding still gives me more time to spend on doing things like looping whatever section of the track I like and knowing it will all stay in time all day long. What I may do is re-incorporate my external mixer into my setup cos its feels so much better.

19. djdivide

djdivide NI Product Owner

Beat matching is easy.

That's why I went digital. ;-)

20. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

Haha, well put, I can perform 100% vinyl at any given moment, me too, this is the exact reason I figured I'd jump on the future train.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.