1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Manual beat mixing crew, check in!

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by S1L1C0N, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

Are you saying you would go to a club and listen to a pre mixed cd off the shelf from a shop? If the way the music was performed was not important then why are there dj's playing in clubs now . Clearly it is important and it is important that those that do , have skill and ability in what they do also . Does no one agree? i never thought id be on my own on this one haha!

2. von Bordwehr

von Bordwehr NI Product Owner

I'm not saying that. I'm just not sure how much it matters to the majority of people who do go to clubs, that is, how much attention they actually pay to the music -- as long as it's not directly bothering them. I mean, why do people go and see concerts where bands are just miming to a tape?

And then, maybe the reasons for having DJs in clubs aren't all strictly related to the music.

3. DJGStefan

DJGStefan NI Product Owner

Well, we dont need to go that far. We talking about that you are doing your own stuff, and you play it when you think it fits. Many DJs have some song they normally play after each other. So if they prepare them on a CDs or do it live, who cares?

It's ok for anyone to manually beat mix, but please dont say that you are better DJs beacause of that. For me manually beat mixing is just waste of time. Have done it for 10 years and dont see it as skill. I think that anyone can learn it.

4. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

Well said bro. This crew is not for stuck up assholes, it's just to bring together one small segment of the Traktor User Base. Almost everyone here uses Traktor in a completely different way, only I CHOOSE to use it in the most manual mode possible, it doesn't make me better, just makes ME feel better and more at home since I come from vinyl. It is like putting me into a car with AutoPilot and letting me roll around a racetrack, I'd rip that **** right out because I'm a damn good performance driver, granted I may just lose to the computer!

5. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

Oh I am certainly with you. I would much rather hear the professional DJ with his specialized taste and Vibe. But I might never see him. And my scene may not support the endevors of these professionals in order to bring them to my floor. In such cases an individual.. If he comes forward with the proper sound and materials, may use whatever he can to produce the results and the vibe that those who come to church are searching for. I would much rather see a premix set go off flawlessly than a train-wreck and bad vibe go down.

Here-in and specifically we must divinate on our own motivatioin for the activities. I have witnessed entire micro-cultures degrade to point of nothingness becuase of opinion and oficio-ism. Friends no longer speak to one another. Events fail. Individuals become shut out from the community. All based on opinion about the current state of affairs and what is the "proper way to go about things."

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=379399441132904905"]Take On Me[/ame]

What my gut feeling tells me,-- when Im standing on a packed dance floor, is that "I don't deserve an opinion." And if I try to have one than its going to clear it, and that sucks. Unless I know that it needs to be done and I might look to the DJ and My gut will tell me what it is in his heart as well. My mind is too strong to stand aside, so I must be involved with vibe in order to exist without conflict. So I know that if the Dj or I am playing and I am worried that he or I does not have the skills for the situation, I would wish for the professional. Or the premix, or at last resort the cd from the store shelf that everyone knows.

This paradigm serves the danceer and the listener. If someones intentions are to create that model and a posative experience so that minds can be expanded and healed then there is no reason to direct them else where or how.

TOO OFTEN peole feel they need to express their official status just becuase they realize that they do have an opinion or a point of view. and that sense of self can diminish the calling of the floor. There is magic, and it will not come unless we can shut our mouths and open our minds and forget about hard distinctions of wrong and right especially when those can effectively drive the magic away. That thing is intuative and psychic, it will not be burned, end of storey.

6. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

Well said Sig, the synergy cannot and should not be disturbed. I think also that it is important to point out that I am a club Dj, not really lounges, never bars, or private parties, and in a club environment the Dj is a performer of sorts, people gather around the booth to try and get a glimpse of your vibe, and if you are standing there with your hands in yor pocket, expect the same from the dancers on the floor. HOWEVER, it is also important to note that I DETEST the overglorification of Dj's that the tranceworld has created, Tiesto is NOT a god, hell, Tiesto half the time turning knobs isn't doing ****. Put the dj in an elevated, dark booth that overlooks the floor and allow him/her to absorb the vibes once again, enough with this stage performance ****.

7. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

This is what im saying! Check video's of Peter Hook from New Order djing he's taken fake knob twuddling to the next level!
    I feel like i may have been abit misunderstood here , i am not saying that all beatmatchers are better than sync dj's or Ableton dj's just that whatever you use in a club situation should be used with skill and knowledge to get the desired effect (which is to make a great party).If the dj doesnt have that then he or she should be bringing something else to the table that makes them earn their place in the dj booth

8. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

@ stienz "" hey I'm definately not trying to run you in the dirt for your statement, and I don't think any - one else should either. I agree with you. Everyone should be improving their skills and getting to that level. BUt if it goes down and it works there is no reason to run someone else into the dirt cause they are using a different method. The only people that need to hit the dirt are people who are specifically being a dick. And I am not specifying you as such, Im just saying "hey ... don't run the dude in the dirt cause he used a premix." As i referenced in my "mission statment" :lol: this is a situation of mad chemistry and everyone needs to be encouraged and not look back on what they thought were posative experiences with any disdain. Those posative experiences are the ones that keep the magic coming back.

The best djs I have ever intracted with. .. .Had no direction for anyone around them. The worst ones were people who thought they had something to gain by being "in charge" and they needed to make up some stupid rules. Thats not how it works and its almost sinful, right up there with the guys supporting themselves and their car habit by dealing in the club hallways. anyway.. no beef. not taint.. its all good.

if anything I want to hear this guys premixes so I can groove on the juicey parts.

9. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

ah ok i get it . apologies if i offended anyone , i dont think i tried to run anyone into the ground but just gave my opinion on using pre mixes . Fair play to anyone getting regular club gigs whichever way you play cos its more than im getting!

10. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

you can play the very same set on one day and get the crowd go scream and party like a rockstar and on the next evening, in another club, with another crowd clear the floor with that set.
    every night is different. and i really think that a DJ is kinda live musician because of that. finding out what makes the crowd moving, then taking them and leading them on a musical journey is the high art of DJing... :)

remember: a dj is not a frigging juke box

11. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

It's all about entertainment! People want to be entertained, so just like any other form of entertaining, it takes talent!

What makes a great live band, commedian, dancer etc? If you have the answer then you'll find it also makes a great DJ.

Technical ability alone, wouldn't always cut it, but tied in with the ability to respond and exsite your audience will get you results.

Music styles change and evolve as do the technology behind it. Beat matching is only one aspect of mixing and for that matter, mixing is only one aspect to DJing.

12. von Bordwehr

von Bordwehr NI Product Owner

But it's not always that obvious where the talent is being applied; what on the other hand is obvious is that it's not necessarily in what appears to be the product, that is, the music.

13. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

This is true and of cause everyone is different with varying tastes and like time itself, it's constently changing with new styles and new ideas.

I believe the key is feel good. If you enjoy it and others can enjoy what you do, then that's entertainment. Be it a DJ playing chesy party tunes at a family do or a DJ doing Trance, D&B or scratch DJ, beat jugling with vynal, the point is if people are enjoying the moment, then its time well spent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.