Mapping Host Automation To Akai LPD8

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Martin Verrill, May 16, 2019.

1. Martin Verrill

Martin Verrill New Member

Hi!
    I have Kontakt 5, Cubase Elements 9.5 and an Akai LPD8 controller. I've finally figured out the diff between MIDI Automation & Host Automation and how the H/A is accessed in Cubase. My problem is that only 1 rotary knob and one pad light up in Kontakt Host Automation (000 & 001). The other 7 knobs and 7 pads don't light up (though they do register in MidiOx). Can anyone help? Do I have to 'map' them inside of Kontakt (if so, how?) OR do I do it inside Cubase (again, how?.....using Generic Remote?)
    Any/all help gratefully received.
    Mart.

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Normally you just press M and midi learn the knobs and pads.

Uwe

3. Martin Verrill

Thanks, Uwe, for your prompt reply. I think there may be a misunderstanding, here. I've tried holding down 'M' and turning the knobs/hitting the pads, but nothing registers in the Host Automation section of the GUI. I'm very familiar with the idea of dragging the MIDI Automation numbers (0-127) to the virtual knobs on the GUI. But it's the real knobs and pads on my LPD8 which are not lighting up (in red) any of the (512) Host Automation numbers. I've scoured the Kontakt manual and Googled 'til I'm weary, but I cannot find the answer; though I'm grateful that someone has attempted to help me.
    Mart.

4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

If your LPD8 is sending MIDI commands, this is not going to show in Host Automation panel, since those are different from MIDI commands.

Also, if nothing is assigned to slots in Host Automation panel, there's nothing to light up either... you need to first assign parameters to slots there, exactly the same way as on MIDI Automation panel.

5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Ah ok i undersood you wrong i thought you use komplete kontrol, i would do it via cubase and track quick controls and instrument quick controls
    that way you can avoid parameter jumps cause cubase has a pickup mode. So just go to studio - studio settings and learn the 8 knobs and activate the pickup mode. then you will have the first 8 controls already mapped and you can easily chanche that in the inspector under quick controls.

Uwe

6. Martin Verrill

OK, Guys.
    Thank you, both, for all your help and advice on this topic. My son has been, initially, as baffled as me about this; but being a software engineer, he has made more of the little information there is out there. He has given me a comprehensive 'lecture' on what he has discovered, and I now feel more confident about what I'm doing.
    Though I can't help being surprised (and feeling a little short-changed by both Steinberg and NI) that there is so little information supplied about a feature they both 'host'.
    But thanks, anyway, for taking the time and trouble to try and help me.
    Mart.