Mapping templates for non NKS plugins

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL S-SERIES' started by Kymeia, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Since there are a number of plugin devs not on board with NKS support (yet) I thought it would be useful to share mappings for their plugins to enable controlling them in KK until (hopefully) they release official NKS ones (with presets too).

So I just put together a few to get started - templates for Omnisphere 2, Dune and Dune 2 (more in the pipeline). They are based on, but a bit simpler than, my Kore templates for these, but I was going for less menu diving, more usability and KK doesn't have buttons (plus just wanted to test out the concept).

Updated

Made a repository of all my templates here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xv2anu4gbpeafb4/AAAAxp1-dwYisWqVGu6gA3H5a?dl=0

most in the main folder (KK templates pack) now also have thumbnails and database info - see info file for details of where to put stuff - I've left all my older templates in the 'Old" folder, these are in various stages of completion

Copy them into your Native Instruments User folder in a subfolder with the plugin name (should be in Documents/Native Instruments/User Content) -you might also need to do a database scan of the user folders.

The slight downside is they only appear in the user content section of KK, not the factory content, because they are not official NI partners yet, and of course won't include their presets (you can add them one by one but that's too tedious and besides Omnisphere at least has a more capable browser anyway - this for me is more about controlling them).

The upside is you can use the scales, chords and arp with them, whether this also shows in the lightguide I can't say as I don't have the keyboard (this has since been confirmed as 'yes'). But my guess is that there's a good chance that the chords and scales at least might because I think that is a function of the Kontrol software, not the plugin itself.

Anyway we can use this thread to share templates.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Chris Hawkins

Chris Hawkins Member

Thanks for posting, but I need a bit more help. I've placed the Omnisphere 2 nksf file in the folder you suggest, but have no idea how to do a database scan?

Thanks

Chris

PS As an aside I was just trying to set up a mapping when you posted and cannot work out how to edit a page or control title - I do have the new 1.5 manual open in front of me (Page 82) and still can't do it - any help appreciated.

3. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

OK quick tutorial.

To do a manual database rescan go into Preferences/General/User and press the rescan button.

To set up or modify mappings load a plugin, open the plugin panel (knob shaped button next to the scales button), click on the Padlock button on the top right to unlock (and modify) the plugin mappings. A learn button will appear next to it, click that and you will see one of the knobs gets a blue outline - that's the one that has learn activated. Then just select and move the param in your plugin you want to map that knob to and it should do it automatically and move onto the next one. You can add and delete pages by clicking on the Xs and rename learned params just by double clicking on the text underneath and typing in what you want. When done just relock and save it using the file/save as command and give it a suitable name.

Would be useful if we could name and reorder pages, it's still way behind Kore in some respects.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Chris Hawkins

Chris Hawkins Member

Hi, I appreciate the tutorial - it's kind of working, but it's hit & miss whether a control works or not - very frustrating.

I can't get your template to work/be found or recognised. Copied your template into folder Documents/Native Instruments/User Content/Omnisphere. Done rescans, reboots, but no luck?

Cheers

Chris

5. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

That's weird, I have no idea why it didn't import. Let's try it the old fashioned method then, can you load it using file/open? Is so then do that and just save it where KK want's to put it. I assume you already have Omnisphere 2 scanned in as a plugin and working?

So far I've not had problems mapping controls provided they are actually setup for automation, but it's possible not all plugins work as well as the ones I have tried so far.

6. Chris Hawkins

Chris Hawkins Member

Much appreciate your response - bet you wish you hadn't posted now :)

File/open works just fine - thank you. Tried re-saving and re-opening and re-scanning, but it won't automate the template selection. That's a 1st world problem though - I have the manual opening working fine.

Many thanks

Chris

7. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

What do you mean by automate the template selection? Do you mean when you load the plugin from the dropdown menu, also automatically loading the template? If so if you look in the user library tab at the bottom you should see the saved template so you can load the plugin every time by clicking on that.

Should look like this:

KKPL.jpg

8. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Actually just a thought but do you have the path to the user folder setup in the database tab? That might be the problem.

9. Chris Hawkins

Chris Hawkins Member

You've assumed I'm clever than I am - I think I've just learnt how to use KK properly!!!!

I really appreciate your sticking with me here - I'm still an enthusiastic amateur. All your help and direction was correct from the beginning, I was just failing to use KK correctly.

All is working perfectly - I'll be quiet now.

Many thanks.

Chris

10. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

No problem - honestly it helps me to know what issues people might have with sharing templates etc as I can only test the process on my own computer till I release stuff in the wild so it's really useful to know what people need to get it working on another PC.

11. demoniqus

demoniqus NI Product Owner

Tried the new 1.5 update at my local retailer and i'm sold.. got this in my mail today and it seems Arturia was fast to deliver the new format for all their synths.. nice to own the Arturia bundle now that hasn't been used much..

Hope they now will release a white KK to compliment my white Maschine Studio

12. shadowbox

shadowbox NI Product Owner

This is awesome. Thanks. Omnisphere template is working great for me so far. Once I get around to making one for D16 LuSH-101 i will post here. Thanks again!

13. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

There's now a tutorial on how to make a custom map - pretty much how I explained it above

• Like Like x 2
  14. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

NB there seems to be one error in the above video - it states that once you have setup a mapping you don't have to do it again for every preset. That is so but only if you save it (ie as a template), otherwise when you load the plugin again you will have reverted back to the default mapping. Strange that it doesn't go into how best to save mappings for future use.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

No problem - it's a fairly basic one so I may add to it but I'm working on some others first (eg Serum)

16. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 2
  17. TabSel

TabSel NI Product Owner

They have clearly NOT learned from Kore, and doing the same mistakes again: the mapping is saved together with the sound and not interchangeable, is it?

18. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I think this is an aspect that requires further clarification.

19. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

OK there are updates for all my above templates (same links) - just a few enhancements like section names and more params to the Omnisphere 2 template.

20. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Something else I've noticed is in the video the tutor uses spacing to separate elements, that can be useful but I've also found that if you type in the space above each knob it creates section lines between elements to separate them - so for example in my Serum template the first 4 knobs are macros, the second 4 are filter controls and there is a section line in between them.

• Informative Informative x 2