1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine 1.8 - Host transport setup in Ableton Live video

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by saintjoe, Sep 24, 2012.

1. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

this is a quick video on setting up host transport with Ableton but can be used for most all supported DAWS, the process will be pretty much the same

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkwzvS83rZk"]Maschine 1.8 Tips - Host transport setup in Ableton Live - YouTube[/ame]

2. july142

july142 Forum Member

Wheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

finaalllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy! The wait is over!

3. pawcut

pawcut NI Product Owner

superb! works! thanks a lot ! :)

4. saintjoe

great!

5. aqirforce2high

aqirforce2high NI Product Owner

hey joe what you using for your screen caps?

6. saintjoe

I use camtasia studio

7. aqirforce2high

aqirforce2high NI Product Owner

8. pawcut

pawcut NI Product Owner

ok .... i jus see it works only when i open the controller editor , if i have maschine as a plug in , with access to its functions it doesnt .......
    it was supposed to work like u adjust a start point for example , press play -check - tweak -press play - check ... right ?

everything looks exactly like in the vid

9. xine44

xine44 Forum Member

Great Saintjoe, always save my (maschine) life, as usual ;)

10. Protosapien

Protosapien New Member

I'm curious about using Maschine in MIDI mode...so that I can map knobs to certain parameters in Ableton's MIDI-Map mode.

Is this possible?

I already know it's an advanced feature...but that's all good. I'm simply wanting more knobs to use with my effects while DJ'ing.

I currently can use an M-Audio Oxygen 25 perfectly fine for controlling Ableton...but would like to be able to utilize Maschine as well.

11. plutoniclab

plutoniclab Forum Member

I was really looking forward to the DAW transport button integration, but I'm disappointed that this disables Erase from Maschine's internal hardware when in use.
    Makes removing samples & plugins a real pain from the hardware if you want to use that new feature. If "erase" wasn't iced out of the picture this would be so awesome... but as it is, it's un-usable for me. I wish it was more definable in the controller editor

12. Zsklar

Zsklar NI Product Owner

Joe, as a loyal Maschine Tutorials subscriber, can you help me out with something that is driving me crazy. I am using Ableton and set up my maschine controller with the Mackie setting. All is good and works fine, however, when I press "shift" and "play" to bring up the metronome, for the life of me, I can't shut it of by pressing it again. I don't see any way of shutting it off actually and I have to close my instance of Maschine. I guess I can just use Ableton's metronome, but I prefer to use the one on Maschine so I don't have to grab at the mouse. Can you shed some light on this or perhaps suggest a workaround? Also, how do you get all the pads to pitch up with time stretching? Do I have to do each one by hand? Thanks man, you're tutorials are the best!

- Zach

13. pawcut

pawcut NI Product Owner

ok ... i would like to have clarity if i got smth completely wrong, lol
    if i wanna ctrl the transport of my host , i always have to hit shift+control ...press play, hit shift +control again , tweak smth like a sample start point , when i wanna stop hit shift +control again .... and on and on and on ... :S
    if its meant like that superb , i got it working ....
    i pictured i could start n stop , tweak smth without switching the modes each time ...
    if this is possible ill try working it out ...:|

i jus liked to know ;)

14. saintjoe

I usually just use it when in Rec mode by pressing shift+rec, definitely need a way to disable it while just using it in play mode. Since play is tied to Ableton, that's why it's not working and I'm assuming they planned on people using the metronome in their daw and only allowing rec/metronome in maschine?

As for pitching samples, they won't stay at the same speed as the timestretch isn't realtime.
    ---
    not with the new method, you no longer have to switch modes if you don't want to.

15. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

Anyone else noticed that this setup doesn't always work?

I get it where the lights behind the buttons light up (indicating the host transport control is active) but the buttons don't actually do anything and i have to quit and reboot everything.

16. saintjoe

Could be related to the ableton midi freeze issues some have been experience with Maschine?

17. puzzlefactory

Yeah could be. I've now found I don't have to reboot everything, just unplug and plug in the controller. I don't really use Maschine as a midi controller with Live so don't have any experience with the "freezes" that people have talked about but it does sound similar...

18. saintjoe

Yeah I haven't experienced it myself but it is an issue that I hope gets resolved soon.

19. puzzlefactory

Yeah, I hope it gets adressed soon too, it seems to be happening every couple of minutes now, very annoying!

Has anyone reported it to support and got an answer about it?

I have a sneaky suspicion that NI support will say its an Ableton issue and Ableton support will say its an NI issue...

20. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

here is your answer:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150713

fwiw, tech support have said it is a known problem.

sowari