Maschine 2.0 does NOT show my external hard drives in file

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by march314, May 7, 2016.

1. march314

march314 New Member

Hi everyone. I am using a macbook pro with Maschine 2.0 software as my travel set up. I use a PC in the studio also running Maschine 2.0. In the studio, when i click on file i can see all my hard drives connected to my computer, but on my macbook pro i don't see any of my hard drives in file. the only hard drive showing is the primary Macintosh HD. at first I thought it was my macbook but when i open finder my hard drives and there and i am able to access them all directly from my computer. Does anyone have any idea why i am not able to see these drives in Maschine 2.0 software? In the attachment, it should be showing my 2 hard drives under file, which are named "SOUND" and "XMGMT" which are both connected. Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 9.31.40 PM.png

2. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

The externals are in the wrong format, i think they need to be Mac format for Maschine to see them, utter stupidity but it is NI

3. march314

march314 New Member

I have the drives formatted for both mac and pc. shouldn't it still show? and if not, does that mean I would have to reformat the drives, which will erase them?

4. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

If you have them formatted in FAT, which it sounds like you do, that is not native Mac format, and while it will work in finder, it will not work in the browser in Maschine.
    No idea if there is any other workaround other than formatting (yes erasing) the drive, personally i just ignore it and only put stuff on my SD/USB that i wouldn't use in Maschine and when i am doing anything serious in Maschine i use Windows, it is a much better experience.

5. dabb

dabb Active Member

you are in mac hd (exactly: macHD/Users/Username) in the picture, did you try to go up levels?
    Click up arrow next to adress bar.

I can reach both jurnaled and NTFS formatted ext drives without problem. Maschine even sees install-os/Boot partition in some of my drives.

6. march314

march314 New Member

Tried to arrow up still nothing. in the image, the list shows everything i could see when i arrow up. I tried clicking on everything in the list, still no signs of my hard drives. Funny thing is that its reading the libraries which i have installed on the drive because when trying to open a plug in without the drive connected, it ask for the location of the library which is installed on my drive, then works fine once i connect it, yet the drive doesn't show as an option to browse my custom sounds that i've created myself.
    Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 7.26.13 PM.png

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  7. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

Are your e ternal drives in FAT format ?
    Like i say, Maschine OSX does not see FAT drives.

8. march314

march314 New Member

Yes it is. So since i move these drives between my home mac and my studio windows computer very often, Is there another format I can use that would be recognized on both platforms? (honestly of not very savy with hard drives...lol)

9. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

NTFS works on both i think, FAT is only really used on SD drives and stuff now for camera compatability and such

10. march314

march314 New Member

Ok I will back up my drives and try that. Thanks for your responses, I will let you know how that works.

11. Jiloo

Jiloo NI Product Owner

Mate, you are still in your user directory. You need to go all the way up. Klick the arrow few times until it is greyed out. Then you will be at the top. As you can see on my pic there are 3 drives, and there's nothing after "Workspace".
    Screen Shot 2016-05-08 at 12.52.35.png

12. march314

march314 New Member

@Jiloo, I did do that. What I meant by my attachment was when I do arrow up all the way to the grayed out arrow, it shows me the same exact things you see in my attachment. How ever @Tooshka is right. Maschine does not read ExFat Formatted drives. I reformatted to FAT32 and it worked fine, although I hear terrible things about FAT32 drives. I was thinking of trying this http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/eshop.html. What do you guys think?

13. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

There is a free open source NTFS driver for OSX , NTFS 3G, I haven't used it but it has been recommended to me before, as i said, I haven't used it personally, so unable to give recommendations.

14. Jiloo

Jiloo NI Product Owner

This is very strange. I have disconnected all my drive except system and when I go up to the top and still se the drive not user directory.
    Screen Shot 2016-05-08 at 16.05.35.png

As for reading NTFS on mac. There is Paragon free version for private use. I think it's version 12 (current retail is 14) but I'm using it and it works great. Cannot recommend NTFS 3G, I was using it and it's much slower then Paragon software. Also I had some problems formatting drives.
    I must warn you that I had some problems using the same HDD interchangeably in OS and Windows. After some time it started to be unreadable. It happened to me twice and also to my friend. I you need that for your work just make sure you backup this drive frequently.

15. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

Personally i avoid any large drive interplay between OSX and Windows entirely, OSX is very slow with USB drives anyway in comparison to Windows, you have to be very careful when picking a NAS supported by both systems too (latest buffalo are not too bad for now, this can change with any OS update from Apple rhough), all in i will only do important file organisation on Windows post Yosemite.

16. march314

march314 New Member

Ok.. so i tried the Paragon NTSF and it worked with my macbook perfectly but again, the drive did not show up in Maschine. Seems like there is no real work around suitable except for FAT32 which I hear bad things about. I was trying to avoid saving my sounds to my computers HD since it will take up a lot of space, but having on both my computer and my hard drive seems to be the safest choice. Thanks guys for your help, Truly appreciated.

17. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

Worse comes to worse, you do know that you can just open a finder window and drag and drop from there in to Maschine, so as long as finder sees it, you can use it.

18. march314

march314 New Member

yes, i can.. just the ease of browsing while arrowing down and hearing the sounds make for a quicker work flow.. good option though.

19. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

Not really, it is an extremely crappy last gasp option, but unfortunately working with Apple systems is becoming much much harder release by release if you use other systems too, I know a whole slew of people that just completely uninstalled OSX and just run windows on their Apple hardware now, El Capitan was the last straw for a lot of people.

20. edr260

edr260 New Member

I've found a way...if there's still people here ^^