Maschine 2.0 is not retina ready?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by mofus, Nov 1, 2013.

1. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

When did NI state it was 'retina ready'?

2. m.nash

m.nash Forum Member

It was published in the blogs, and confirmed by Native Instrument tech support.

3. lethal_pizzle

I'm not sure that NI have a blog. But yeah, it looks like it's running at half the effective resolution of retina.

4. Bertotti

Bertotti NI Product Owner

Yea it doesn't look retina ready but I certainly think it is useable, I have seen worse.

5. tehpsy

tehpsy Forum Member

Maschine 2 looks terrible on my retina display....

6. phemox

phemox Forum Member

Eyes do not suffer from very acceptable resolutions though. It nitpicking at best and annoying at worst to see people even complain. The software scales fine on my iMac 27inch , and yeah maybe it looks less impressive on a smaller retina MacBook. But really that's not making any music any better or worse.

As far as I am concerned, the less stuff to look at the screen, the better!

7. FredB7

FredB7 NI Product Owner

I don't get why some people think it's not a valid question.
    I don't have a retina MBP, but I know low res graphics look like s*** on my iPad.
    If resolution is not important to make music, why did NI chose to use "high-res color screens" on the Studio and advertise them? GUI is important or we'd all still use a tracker.
    How hard would it be for NI to make files for both res? Not much.

8. lethal_pizzle

Well, Maschine is cross platform. Only one in every 12 computers sold is OSX, and only a certain amount of them are retina. My guess is that NI will implement ultra-HD resolutions when more of the installed user base have ultra-HD screens. Until then, it'd benefit more people for them to concentrate on other things.

9. FredB7

FredB7 NI Product Owner

I'm sure there is much more than 1/12th of Maschine users using a Mac and 4K monitors are there for everybody.
    Anyway, it's still a valid question.

Do you really think it's the same guys that are coding and doing the graphics?

10. lethal_pizzle

No, although I imagine the people that design the actual UI graphic elements would work across the NI portfolio. If these people had nothing else to do, there'd be retina support, wouldn't there? ;)

11. phemox

phemox Forum Member

Could we please drop "retina" as describing a resolution? Just call it ultra - HD or qHD accordingly, makes much more sense.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hillcow

Hillcow Member

Guys, just focus on the problem please. It is absolutely insane they still haven't managed to catch up. It's 2016 now.

• Like Like x 2
  13. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Perhaps after they make it sequencer, DAW workflow and performance ready.
    Seems to me they should introduce this enhancement with a themes based customizable UI (2 plugs in one day doing quite well).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nii-Teiko

Nii-Teiko NI Product Owner

been saying this for the longest but they did address this on the last 'On The Record '

• Like Like x 1
  15. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

I get intensely hacked off that every company seems to have to stop development to scurry back over old code to make it fit for whatever 'improvement' Apple coughs up. It seems that every OSX update breaks a host of reliant software and this 'retina' bs has thrown up its own problems.

There are far more important things (in ALL software) than keeping up with Apple's 'whimware'.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

This is true about a lot ofApple updates.
    Retina had been around long enough now though, and as someone who is visually impaired, it is actually an important aspect for me.

17. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

Fair point, well made. Though it's been my experience that when PC manufacturers up the ante re. resolution, they do it with no detrimental effects to others; if you can run the new resolution, then fine; if you can't then you're no worse off. Apple (it seems) are following their usual policy of making those with older gear suffer degraded performance in order to 'persuade' them to upgrade. *

* I have based last this on anecdotes that high res images start to look 'blocky' on non-retina displays. If this is not the case then I'll withdraw with my tail between my legs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rbrucemtl

rbrucemtl NI Product Owner

But it is not just describing an ultra HD or qHD resolution. Retina displays are not displaying at a 1:1 ratio you don't get the extra screen real estate you would get on a true qHD display. That's the compatibility problem, if you could set your retina display to 1:1 ratio everything would look perfect but super super small on a laptop sized screen.

19. Bertotti

Bertotti NI Product Owner

I am laughing my ass off. One person posts a take it easy comment in a thread just shy of three years old and now it is the same old **** all over again.

20. muitosabao

muitosabao NI Product Owner

Ahah i didn't realize this was from a three year old thread!

Truth is, it's 2016 and Maschine 2.4.6 still does not scale up properly in HiDPI screens. On a Surface pro3 (2160x1440) it looks very bad (lines and text look blurry). Every app seems to be catching up, Maschine still looks as if it's 2013...