Solved Maschine 2 how to Recording scene change as midi in Fl 20 (FIXED)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by MaschineGun, Dec 24, 2019.

1. MaschineGun

MaschineGun New Member

Hello everybody
    I want know how to do what this dude make with machine plugin in this video, but inside Fl20 please, how Fl20 receive midi from maschine 2 and Maschine Studio?
    I dont found how to do that. big thanks the familly

• Like Like x 1
  2. MaschineGun

MaschineGun New Member

No body knows???
    Maschine studio dont give the possibility to record is job as midi in FL???
    I can't believe that, 3 days i fight to found how.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

I'm not sure what exactly it is you want, if this is about using the controller to record midi in your daw then that's easy: turn on midi mode (shift + channel) and use it as a regular midi controller.

You can also record stuff in the Maschine software and drag the midi data ('pattern') into your daw.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

Pardon a double post....

I'm back at home, behind my home studio (about to jam a bit) and I could finally check the video. So first: Maschine 2.3 vs. the current version we're at now: 2.9. That video is dated as heck. I checked: 4 years old. So don't bother with that.

Second....

Oh my god... you're awesome for bringing this to my attention (immediate like!) because this discovery totally obliterates the (now totally stupid!) comments on how much of a black box the Maschine is. This proves, beyond doubt, that all of those comments can be filed under "uneducated banter", maybe even slander?

BUT... that's not what you wanted to hear, errr: read! :D

Yes, I just confirmed that this trick still works, but even better than in that stupid video. See, he's talking about scene changes. Dude, who cares about that? No,what we want is true MIDI output!

Behold!!

upload_2019-12-26_23-12-41.png
    (yes, I'm aware this is Live as well, trust me: if you follow my lead you should be good!)​

I marked the important areas for you... First pull up the Mixer section (mixer icon in the main toolbar, behind the magnifying glass) and then click IO (see marker). Now comes the cool part: for every pad ("sound") you can set where the MIDI is supposed to go to. In my example above I selected all pads, clicked the lower strip and set everything to "Host" (as you can see).

Result? Well, look at my 4th track (the one with the blue markers). It gets its input solely from the Maschine VST and as you can see: while I'm playing Maschine Live receives both audio (on track 2) and MIDI (on track 4). Because I told Maschine to route ("output") the MIDI onto the host.

So how to set this up from Maschine itself? Good question!

upload_2019-12-26_23-24-12.png
    (apologies for the bad picture... my phone doesn't seem to have auto correction for stutters)​

So press 'channel' (upper left button) and then select the 'Output' section as shown in screen. Then press the page-right button (2nd marker from top) to hop over to the 3rd page of the output section. There you'll find the option I marked last. You can only set MIDI output on a per-sound ("pad") level. So prepare to do that 16 times (using the software + mouse & keyboard should be a lot easier).

Can this get any better? YES it can! :eek:

So then I tried one of my favorite things: recording midi inside Maschine using Maschine (pardon the pun). Despite routing MIDI out of the VST the internal recording itself still works as well.

This is huge I think. It opens up so many possibilities... Maschine a blackbox? Bollocks!

Hope this can help! And thanks for pointing my attention to this.. I would have found out eventually (the IO section was honestly on my todo list) but this sped up the discovery process quite well :)

(edit): have 2 likes on me. For the record: your 2nd post doesn't deserve it IMO, but the pot of gold you led me into easily deserves as much. I think you may even agree on that ;)

For bonus points and blatant self promotion on my part, you may even enjoy this:

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/guide-why-maschine-is-_not_-a-blackbox.373521/

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

The typical DAW way of Recording Scene/Section changes (for Ableton as well as most DAW's use) doesn't seem to work in FL Studio, AFAIK it doesn't have the ability to create an empty MIDI track that can receive MIDI from a VST, there's only "MIDI Out" tracks/channels available... That's very weird, I never saw such behavior in any DAW but note that I am not an FL user, I just have a demo so there might be something I am missing.

I know how to set it up if you want to draw Scene/Section changes from the FL Piano Roll tho, could that help you or you really only want realtime Scene/Section changes recording?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. MaschineGun

MaschineGun New Member

Thanks thanks thanks for this help, amaizing to see that, i try and try nothing happen, but i realy need to record my scene section change in real time. i go to try again and again to found how.
    I see Ableton do it in many video, but Fl its more hard, and i never found a video show this with FL20 no where.
    Anyway Big thanks the familly.

7. D-One

Try asking in the image-line forum if FL supports MIDI out routing from VST's, it doesn't look like it does.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MaschineGun

MaschineGun New Member

D-One yes, I do it already, but this is not the first time i have issue with the midi of FL, i remember Synfire Pro give me many probleme with FL midi, Harmony improvisator to, Reason many years a go to, i go to try step by step the Shelluzer explained thanks you SHEL.
    Yes you right D-One Fl cant be slave and its hard to receive midi but he can receive, i have to fight to found the right way, i remember Fl use the mackie control protocol to sync. i go to hunt again , 4 days now i try

9. D-One

FYI Receiving/recording MIDI from plugin has nothing to do with being a Slave/Master or Mackie protocol, the former is for sync and the latter for MIDI control.

You cant, his guide is for something different and for Live.. but good luck.

I know your heart is in the right place and you're trying to help but you kind of tend to jump to conclusions a lot and make some wild/Inaccurate statements... the video is still accurate apart from the MIDI Change menu being somewhere else.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MaschineGun

MaschineGun New Member

Yes i found it realy quick Edit/midi change/(scene.section.lock)
    i have a question, if i click on scene, this give me the midi scene in ?
    But if i click on Section or click on lock, this give me exactely what control, just to be sure, please.
    Because i see for the first time Maschine Studio in and Maschine Jam -1 option there, i go to try if that do something to, but i m not sure what he do in the host exactely.
    For me that the midi to send in the host.
    Let me test i come back

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  11. D-One

Yes.
    When you trigger a Scene/Section/Lock-state a MIDI note is sent from the Maschine-Plugin to the host.
    If the host send those same MIDI Notes to the Plugin the Scene/Section/Lock-state changes.
    So... In all other DAW's we configure an empty MIDI track to receive MIDI from Maschine-Plugin and send it back, the MIDI Channel defines if it's a Scene, Section or Lock State...

FL Has MIDI Out tracks, so it's easy to send notes to change the scenes using the correct Port, receiving it is the part i dont understand, I think it probably requires either Patcher tracks or some weird MIDI loopback config...

FL has an insane amount of "bad" tutorials out there, more than any other DAW, which doesn't really help in this sort of situation.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MaschineGun

MaschineGun New Member

Oh yes you right, Fl is the only one to do that, i work on many other DAW
    But FL to be explosive and quick in Trap Electro Booming is the best for me
    That why i maybe found a solution incredible, im done with the possibility to receive in Fl the message midi scene or patern from maschine.
    go to use a old methode some guys explain me to stop all that crazy issue, because i stop my job almost 5 days now just for that.
    Thanks thanks thanks for your help every one
    :(
    The real problem to me coming from maschine software.
    I dont know it good maybe??
    But i dont see no where, how to record the scene change or patern change in real time in Maschine software..
    Can you show me a link or something to do that?
    when i touch my pad and do triggering, how to rec this triggering in real time in Maschine?
    I see everywhere, just the add pathern by sequence and built the scene manuely step by step.
    But no where i see how to record my patern triggering in real time in my scene
    or ok after i built my scene
    How to record the change triggering in real time in Maschine.
    That possible to do that???:eek:
    If i want to do a 5 minute of triggering scene change like concert, can i rec that somewhere in maschine?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  13. RajahP

RajahP NI Product Owner

I believe the secret is ‘loopmidi’ here.. But once installed and setup, it works like magic.. I recall..

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

14. MaschineGun

MaschineGun New Member

euuuh thanks a lot for the link, RajahP you know well this looper can you do a template, or some screenshot for the control editor, and maschine?
    Because i dont understand well how he works.
    You use this with FL?
    Can you talk to be about it please, explain me how he work..
    Thanks

15. RajahP

RajahP NI Product Owner

Ok.. hope this works..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. MaschineGun

MaschineGun New Member

RajahP Thanks!!:thumbsup:;), i go to try today, big big THANKS, i let you know.

17. MaschineGun

MaschineGun New Member

Hello Happy new year and NI familly to
    Ok i have a problem RajahP
    i can read what you send to me, but i cant rec. That why please can you do a screenshot about your midi settings in FL 20.6 the in and the out.
    a screenshot control editor NI.
    If you can tell me step by step how you do that in Maschine because 24 hours i try nothing work.
    if is possible to you to do a video can be the best, but pics if perfect.
    andi see this work on 2.7.2 in your FLP not on 2.9 we are ok?
    :thumbsup:thanks

18. RajahP

RajahP NI Product Owner

Did you download and install loopmidi? Go to Option->Midi Setting and set it’s input/output ports (LoopMidi).. Set the input of Maschine’s VSTi to the same input/output port.. Enable FLStudio’s recorder to record everything (Automation etc..).. I do have the latest Maschine Software installed, 2.9.1 installed.. No special setup for the Control Editor (I have mine on just (‘Sleep’)..
    Let’s see..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. MaschineGun

MaschineGun New Member

Man man maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!! You make my day.
    Work great, i never think i have just to put the same setting midi on loopmidi like the wrapper on maschine.
    do you want married me??? I never ever feel a joy like that for long..
    Love you brother of Music production.
    Thanks for all this help and thanks for all the other members come to help me here.
    Long life to Native Instrument.:rolleyes:

20. RajahP

RajahP NI Product Owner

Great.. All the best..

• Like Like x 1