1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Maschine and ExFat HD / Flash Drive

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by dvoa78, Mar 23, 2018.

1. dvoa78

dvoa78 NI Product Owner

Maybe is already ask.

But Maschine doesn't see my usb drive.
    Is this normal?

Thanks for advance.

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Whats your OS and what the file format of the drive? Maschine has issues with ExFat drives.

Maschine's browser is unable to 'see' hard drives formatted in ExFat file format, while in "Files" Browser menu the drive is not listed.
    If you manually add the drive to the User's Library in the preferences all the content shows and can be used but for some reason, Maschine sees it as a "Folder"... I have reported this bug before but had no response.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dvoa78

dvoa78 NI Product Owner

That clears it the stick is exfat.
    Then we change the format let's see what happens.

I use the stick for swapping between pc and laptop mainly the sampled stuff.

Thanks.

4. D-One

No problem.
    I'll tag this as a bug, Exfat is useful to share files between Mac and Windows.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Has Maschine been able to use exfat before?
    If so it's a bug.
    If not it's not a bug, it's a feature request.

6. timbonaut

timbonaut NI Product Owner

Yes it’s ridiculous. I am working in between win and mac systems for numerous reasons and have all my collected samples on an external exfat drive just to learn that Maschine isn’t able to read any of it.

Then also Kontakt wasn’t and they fixed it easy in an update, but Maschine, no way, still not possible. Put that feature request some time ago but nothing...

It’s a mystery to me why not all regular filesystems can be supported.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dvoa78

dvoa78 NI Product Owner

Somehow after a few with this problem.
    Maschine see my usb stick.
    Sometimes not.

I don't know why but if it work it works.

Best regards.

8. D-One

Back when I needed external HD compatibility between Windows and OSX I used external apps that add support, I would recommend this over using exFAT since it's a very outdated file format meant only for small thumb drives.

If your main system is Windows, for example, I would re-format it with NTFS file format and install MacFuse on the Mac so it can read/write on the HD. https://osxfuse.github.io, it's free.

9. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

It can also be the stick, especially older type sticks can cause problems.
    Have just done a test with a 32G sandisk stick with the exfat format.
    The content is visible in the software (2.7.3.322) and on screen of the MK3.
    Also keep in mind the following, exFAT is not designed for formatting hard disks.
    This is only recommended for flash memory.

René

10. Eggbox

Eggbox New Member

I use paragon on Mac OS so that I can read and write between Windows and Mac using the ntfs file system