1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

MASCHINE and KOMPLETE KONTROL Development Updates

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Kai @ NI, Aug 3, 2020.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Sorry to crush your hopes but no, Background Scan just allows the KK/MAS to scan for content in the background as the name implies, so you can use KK/MAS while it's scanning instead of being stuck watching a Scan progress bar on screen, it changes nothing about the start time of the application/plugin itself, at least not for me.

KK plug (with KUCE 12) takes 5 secs to load for me on the first instance and around 3 after that, it's around the same time as the only other similar product I have (Omnisphere) so I personally dont have any complaints but I do have a beefy computer and everything on SDD's, I see how it could be a problem on slow laptops or mechanical drives. By default, KK/MAS is set to scan for User Content on start, try turning it off and see if it helps, I guess if you have a lot of user content than it could take more time to load but I've tested it and it made no difference, I think it only scans for "new" content unless you actually trigger a Scan manually, then it scans everything.

2. Lipaz

Lipaz NI Product Owner

Hi NI Team,

Congrats, and looking forward to Maschine updates.

As for the Komplete Kontrol update... there is a feature which is really, I mean really important for all your users who are not well-trained instrumentalist or musicians. And I read a lot of topics/forum threads, as well as tried several workarounds but none of the suggestions/workarounds works anymore today. HOWEVER, this is one of the major function of your Kontrol series keyboards and Kontrol software.

I understand you may say that let's wait for AUv3. But this request is on the plate since you released Komplete Kontrol.

Logic Pro X - recording Komplete Kontrol Arp and Scale data

I understand if you say that AU or Logic is not capable of doing it. (I have to doubt, though... because midi data is showing up in Logic's Control Bar and Display, so I assume it would not be difficult to capture it...)

You have a midi capture & drag function in Maschine that works very well and very useful. WHAT IF you implement the exact same feature in Komplete Kontrol software with exact same icon in the top bar? And anything between play and stop is captured and can be dragged to daw instantly. The next play-stop cycle overwrites previous one. It's dead simple. I don't think it's sooo different you couldn't implement it. :)

I have a cheap plugin that is to create chords/progressions, arpeggios/expressions, similarly to Konplete Kontrol Scale and Arp functions. Internal midi capture & drag is one of its great feature. So it's not impossible to do.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  3. peter verberne

peter verberne New Member

Thanks Kai for the update! This really looks promising.
    Maybe Maschine is not the first goto as a DAW, but it surely is as a composing and writing tool. These improvement will speed up that process greatly. Can't wait...!

4. D-One

Smart Play (Scales, Chords, Arps, etc...) is handled by the software (Plugin), so the Plugin has to send the altered MIDI data to the DAW, if the plugin technology (AUv2) does not support MIDI Out from Plugins than it can't work. AU V3 supports it but afaik it's pretty rare for devs to use it for some reason. With all other DAW's (VST) this is not an issue, its really only Logic.
    Drag and drop works fine tho.
    The MIDI Data you see blink is you pressing the un-altered keyboard buttons/keys etc...

There is this wacky workaround, it's really far from perfect tho.

Maschine has a sequencer, it holds MIDI data, KK does not so it can't have drag-and-drop because there's is nothing to drop... the MIDI is in the DAW.
    However, If you use a Plugin that holds MIDI or has drag-and-drop MIDI functionality it will work fine tho. (Scaler for example)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

it would be cool, if they added patterns/ideas view to kk and drag and drop

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. D-One

I guess it could be cool but I think thats a really dangerous path to follow... Adding patterns means adding a way to trigger and change them, adding a sequencer, a ton of MIDI editing stuff and possibly even a mixer + multi-instrument support and really turn KK into something it's not... The hardware layout is also not designed for all that not to mention it would inherit all the Maschine "integration" routing annoyances.

I would rather just have SmartPlay to be a hardware feature instead of Software-based, this was what i was expecting when the MK2 keyboards were announced, unfortunately, it didn't happen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maciej Repetowski

Maciej Repetowski NI Product Owner

To have Scales, Chords and Arps in hardware and being able to record the midi output affected by them from KK keyboard into any sequencer would be AMAZING !!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iván Anzil

Iván Anzil New Member

9. Iván Anzil

Iván Anzil New Member

As a loving MASCHINE user (PC bases) I anxiously await this update. I've used many DAWs in the past but since I came across your system I hoped you decided to turn it into a full DAW.

This said I wonder and place to you the following question: ¿Do you have in your plans adding the posibility to automate/change tempo and time signature inside/in the middle of a project? This is a musical dimension that I find really important and still miss in your platform.

Thanks for all the good work. Cheers from Argentina.
    Ivan

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  10. skhm

skhm NI Product Owner

In Logic use “MIDI FX freeze”. Its a free plugin and works great:
    http://www.audiocr.com/

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thomas_D

Thomas_D New Member

Very much looking forward do these updates, thank you Kai for this post. A bit of an aside, but it would be good to know if we will ever get a resizable GUI on Maschine. With 4K+ monitors becoming the norm, text and some of the controls are really tiny, so some kind of resize GUI option would be very welcome. Thanks

12. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

a hardware feature would definitely be better especially if you could use it without a computer.

13. D-One

Oohhhh cool! I dont personally use LPX but thats the most elegant solution I have seen so far. I'll try it out.

EDIT - Hum.... This doesn't really work for KK, it's designed to capture whatever MIDI FX plugins are before it in the chain, KK is not a MIDI FX plugin. Correct me if I am wrong tho.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  14. skhm

skhm NI Product Owner

I cannot correct you!
    It is a MIDI plugin that captures midi activity from a MIDI plugin. It is a solution to the handicapped AU you mentioned earlier.
    I have never used “KK”.
    If “KK” has a MIDI out, you could use a virtual MIDI cable going into Logic, Cubase,...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  15. Lipaz

Lipaz NI Product Owner

Thanks for the prompt reply! Unfortunately, as I said, there is no method which is working currently and let us record midi data. Not even the wacky turnaround. Nor the Midi Freeze FX.
    Well, if AU is limited as you wrote, then the best solution -hence I'm writing right here right now at the right time- is to modify Komplete Kontrol to hold midi data. Just as Maschine plugin does it. I can't imagine a big difference... scale with arp is basically a sequencer. Or at least a bunch of generated midi data, that can be hold by a "hidden seq", that allows us to drag and drop data to daw. So the drag 'n' drop function should work then, as I wrote before.

This is really a long-awaited core function of this plugin and your keyboard.

It's up to NI how they handle this request. I think if you have a controller with dedicated buttons to get wonderful scales and arps to record, you don't want us to do non-working temp solutions or buy+experiment 3rd party plugins to avoid development. This is not very elegant. :)

16. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Since I sold my kk mk2
    This has been my scale plugin ;)
    68F93904-6B70-49A3-8DA6-4E28E5D4262C.jpeg

And this is my chord plugin :p
    BA5403C9-21DF-4C91-B901-7FA44E0EC4DB.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Lipaz

Lipaz NI Product Owner

Oh yeah, and since you have sold your shoes for summer, you enjoy walking by barefoot. :D
    KK is teaching you. I never use “one key setup” in chord mode, but even in this case, midi make your life easier. Especially if you can record it... in 2020... when you spent 800 EUR on a keyboard. :)

18. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Totally agree , I wasn’t knocking it , it introduced me to scales outside of minor /major.
    Tbh I’ve learnt a lot from that sheet in the past few weeks , once I’d memorised the circle of 5ths , from that I can work out what notes are in each scale etc

19. D-One

No problem.
    Well, I've tested the workaround I mentioned and it works.

Example: I press a note and a chord is recorded.
    [​IMG]

AU V2, not AU generally, they could also just make KK AU V3...

I guess a simple internal MIDI recorder inside KK could work, if the point is to just drag it later to Logic, your mention of Maschine got me a bit confused as it's way of dealing with MIDI is far more complex.

Even tho this is not an issue in all other DAW's including the one I use, I might prefer this drag-and-drop approach to the current method of having a second MIDI track receiving output from KK, so... i would use it.
    I wouldn't hold my breath tho, good luck with your request! :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

So looking at Image 2: Audio-Module Workflows with Clips.

What are those samples on the track? Are they being played back via a sampler (triggered note?)

Or are we summing and playing wavs without a trigger?