1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

MASCHINE and KOMPLETE KONTROL Development Updates

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Kai @ NI, Aug 3, 2020.

1. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Exactly ...you are one of those silly people who fail to understand that it's not what a programme does or doesn't do or how versatile or even useful it is but whether it can be defined as a DAW or not. I really don't know how you dare to show your head above the pavement...........................;):D

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

Actually I do fully understand the point you are trying to make. However, the obstacle is that there is a fundamental difference between how you perceive something to operate and how I perceive it to operate. In a nutshell:

You think: MIDI tracks - MIDI sequencer / Audio tracks - Audio engine.

Whereas I think: MIDI tracks - MIDI sequencer / Audio tracks - Audio sequencer - Audio engine.

Maybe we are destined never to come to any sort of agreement on this subject but no need to fall out over such a minor issue in life.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

I fully agree that when you are old and experienced , determining whether software is a DAW or not is indeed nonsensical trivia.

However, it is worth remembering that someone who is new to this may rely on such labels when say making purchasing decisions. So simply airing the fact that there is no standard definition of a DAW can't be a bad thing.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jeremy E Shaw

Jeremy E Shaw NI Product Owner

Someone who is new to all this could also stand to listen a little more, and assert their misaligned expectations a little less.

5. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

I hope I have not given you the impression that I am new to all this, unfortunately for me that is a few decades away from the reality :)

6. Duistere Bardo

Duistere Bardo NI Product Owner

Great, sounds reassuring! :)

7. jkq2010

jkq2010 New Member

Great update thanks. Any news on tempo and time signature automation or realtime stretching in the sampler module? Would be the perfect groovebox if these have been included and I would drop serato sample in an ectopic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

Some interesting ideas around here. I personally always hated the clumsy moniker digital audio workstation and even more so today as of course software is digital, just like a car is gas powered. No need to say “gonna go for a ride in my gas powered transportation device”.

I propose DAW be replaced with AME, or audio manipulation environment, or simple AS, for audio sequencer. DAW was the old pros way of describing the analog hardware to software transition. Nearly a 1 to 1 adaptation of analog hardware signal flow converted to software, hence faders and all the crap we still have now. Obviously software is much more advanced allowing for sequencing, automation, and more, and any software that can do a combination of each is already perfectly sufficient. Better? Subjective.

Traditional multi-track recorders that mimic analog recording consoles of the past are awesome but can’t be a Maschine. Most of the flagship control surfaces are for mixing only, and none out there have a dedicated controller integration as robust as Maschine because it’s impossible.

Now as tempsperdu pointed out, maybe an overlay of some sort for advanced features may be a way to bridge the gap, or at least make it easier to pipe audio into another environment.

• Like Like x 2
  9. J Ser

J Ser NI Product Owner

From now on, Cars shall be divided into two separate groups: GPTD and EPTD! I have spoken...........:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Vagus

Vagus NI Product Owner

So this update for Komplete Kontrol:

• FIXED intermittent integration issues with Logic Pro 10.5 (note: requires macOS 10.15.6)
    • FIXED Using KOMPLETE KONTROL as a plug-in with missing content creates a grey rectangle when loading a project in a host application
    • FIXED S-Series MK2 & A-Series MIDI Templates intermittently lost on macOS
    I own a software start-up, and you've moved from 2.3 to 2.4 and this is it? Or is it more and it's just been added to the change log? Native Access doesn't even have details of the update. If I was this slow in development for my customers, I wouldn't have a business.

Sorry to be the guy that complains, but I've bought A LOT from NI, and it seems like you've got one person working on all your software with updates like this after six months.

Love the software, but when there are developers out there like Felicia Hummel and JesterMgee doing things that NI don't, I do worry for the future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. tempsperdu

Vagus, you don't seem to be registering the amount of work going into Maschine. Whilst these updates themselves may seem lacklustre in terms of development, particularly in Machine's case there's very major changes taking place as noted by Kai in his original post.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

True, still it is always tricky to share communication with user base sharing its frustrations, but that is probably one of the toughest part of any job interacting with a wide range of customer... Not always easy to remain ethically correct in every situation and to not loose temper,...still it is preferable as a hairdresser not to do a bad haircut to an impolite customer :D.
    I worked in restaurants for many years and it was always a daily inner fight to not use my boss powers to turn myself into an Avenger. Like...hello ! no I swear I didn't spit in your Sandwich

13. hellnegative

hellnegative NI Product Owner

As a coder myself, I can understand the stepped and slow roll out of major updates from NI. Their bread and butter are plugins and instrument packs. The teams are working on multiple projects at once over there. The company I work for now is a multi billion dollar corporation, and out major updates for the two customer facing software platforms only come out about once every 3 quarters. Although, there are tons of small incremental updates that the majority of customer do not notice every couple of months or so. We also have to work on our employee facing software packages as well. Of course we are way bigger than NI, but we also have 5 times more employees in just one office than NI has altogether.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Vagus

Vagus NI Product Owner

I see your points, but my issue here, is I am a Maschine MK3 owner, abd Maschine updates are great. But not all of us use Maschine for composition, nor do we want to use it - DAWs are there for a reason, and KK is brilliant for workflow and auditioning sounds inside DAW.

We'ree still waiting for simple updates that are easy to implement that have been requested for years.

Again, I love the software, but it seems NI spend more time reacting to Apple's OS changes than new features for KK.

15. tempsperdu

In fairness isn't that Apple's problem by seemingly dumping problems on software companies rather than working with them.
    No company cannot react to Apples whims but Apple could in theory liaise much more considerately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. joborges

joborges NI Product Owner

I absolutely love to test this workflow. This is one of things in Maschine that I REALLY miss. Crossing things here to this come alive and would love to help on testing.

17. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Doubled edge sword right there, what is a problem for one Software (especially if outdated) is a solution for another, or access to modern features, ease of development moving fowards, etc... generally updates are to improve products. Developers are expected to their job and maintain their software.
    I've had jobs where the boss decides to change a tool, as an employee i have no choice but to adapt and learn it, custumers couldnt care less how much work is involved.
    True, if a compnay does not react than a ton of valid complaints rain down... You either support an OS or dont, if you do than you have to accept it's whims.

It's pretty rare that a non Major MacOS update causes issues, in this case it seems like it was the DAW update that caused a problem, this happens in both Mac and Windows safaik. Apple releases OS developer upodates months ahead of time so devs have time to test and update their apps not sure what else they could do since theres millions of companies making software, would be cool if an actual dev could share some insight.

18. tempsperdu

I just get the impression that Apple could work better with other software companies, so they weren't seemingly thrown into turmoil by their updates. I'm no great fan of Microsoft but I don't seem to see the same frantic scurrying around when they update.

19. Samuel Tournan

Samuel Tournan New Member

All this is incredible. But I still want my audio feedback when i click or move MIDI notes on the grid. Come on guys, this is very easy to implement and EVERY DAW CAN DO THIS.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

But Maschine is not a DAW :D

• Funny Funny x 3