1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

MASCHINE and Traktor 2.5

Discussion in 'KONTROL F1' started by Eqube, Mar 15, 2012.

1. scamo

scamo Administrator Staff Member

I am going to wait for an answer from support on the "technical issues" with being able to map out the Mix Decks with a midi device like the Maschine. NI's response up to now explains that the F1 doesn't do Midi in order to control the Mix Decks, which is perfectly fine. But it is insanity not to allow basic control over the Mix Decks via Midi. NI started this large wave of controllerism and mappings. Do they now intend to block it all off, so only their own controllers will work with Traktor? That is simply unbelievable and a real shame, if it is true. I understand the need to make money and be profitable as a company and if this is their new direction, then I'd ask them to please just delete the Controller Manager completely and get it over with. It would be like shooting your best racing horse, which just broke its leg.

scamo

2. Sparksta

Sparksta NI Product Owner

yes its a shame.....

i hope they open more slots after they sold some f1s

3. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

or maybe a firmware update for the maschine? :)

4. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

5. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

That was a pretty good read and i think it sums up the general feeling about the "closed system" NI has implemented.

It was particularly interesting to see some of the comments on the forum from people saying they won't buy an F1 (and therefor won't use the remix decks) on principle.

6. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

7. lethal_pizzle

Well, having scanned this very thread, it appears you were unable to collate a definitive list of what was and wasn't possible before the official word in the OTR Freshfluke! ;)

Note to self; never doubt rainerh!

8. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

I second that ;)

What we see now with Traktor 2.5 and F1 is actually not that new in the NI product strategy.

We had that already with Traktor Pro S4 and the S4 controller. With S4 two new software features were available only if you bought the S4 controller: the loop recorder and the sample decks.
    Most of the loop recorder and sample deck features have been mappable withTraktor Pro S4, but the software was not available on its own.
    Then some months later Traktor 2 was born and the former S4 exclusive features became availalbe for everybody.

A similiar feature locking strategy happens again with the remix decks. Again, you need to buy NI hardware to get access to software features.

Traktor is not a software product anymore. Around the time of the introduction of the S4 Deutsche Welle TV aired an interesting interview with Daniel Haver and Mate Galic, CEO and CTO of NI.
    One of the core sentences was the one explaing the shift from beeing a technology company to a product company. What sounded quite abstrac then seems to make more sense nowadays. With the recent launches it looks as if the software part of Traktor is the technology, but that the products are all the pieces of hardware NI is offering. Take a look at the page title of the NI main webpage: it says "HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS". Hardware first.

9. ekwipt

ekwipt NI Product Owner

And H comes before S in the dictionary.

It's enviable that companies like NI follow Apples lead as they have proven its a very successful model.

They're closing up shop and controlling all aspects of the experience

10. lethal_pizzle

It'll be interesting to see how NI are going to get me to part with cash for their DJ line in the future.

I'm sure the F1 is great at what it does but as a traditional DJ rather than a 'controllerist' I was looking to add the 'remix deck' functionality to one of my existing controllers. It's something I'd occasionally mess around with and even less occasionally use at a gig. I wouldn't base an entire set around it, so it's certainly not something I'd spend £500 on.

So, with that in mind: would the functionality be included in the next paid upgrade? Will there be any more paid upgrades? If I don't want NI hardware, how are they going to induce me to spend money on the software?
    ---
    It is similar rainerh, however NI were very quick to confirm that the S4 software features were going to be made available to all users or Traktor.

11. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

It seems to me, (looking at the limited information available) that everything they've done with the remix decks and F1 they could have done (and more) if they had properly integrated Maschine with Traktor.

12. ekwipt

ekwipt NI Product Owner

So true and we have posts going back two years or more, probably since Maschine was released.

NI are really double dipping IMO

13. DJ Freshfluke

nope, i've always said that not all functions will be possible and for once, i was not sure if i wasnt allowed to post a list beforehand and secondly, i didnt have the time to put effort in that - and as you could see i actually asked rainer if he already had it handy and could post it (that was in another thread).

i was talking as much as one month ago that you wouldnt have the full functionality of the remix decks without the F1.

14. lethal_pizzle

Not denying that Freshfluke. All I'm saying is that people (not on the beta testing team) were not aware (or at at not able to confirm) that such basic functionality as triggering the 16 cells from 16 buttons via MIDI was missing until the OTR record. Which would explain the reason for and timing of the present furore.

Fair?

15. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

they've tried to keep it quiet as long as possible until people started asking questions about it and DJTT wrote that article..!

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/05/...ked-to-all-controllers-except-the-kontrol-f1/

i'd love to know the reasoning behind it really if its not a scam to make sure people buy an F1..!

coz now they are getting a bit snappy about us bringing it up on here and starting new threads discussing it..!

16. lethal_pizzle

17. DJ Freshfluke

not really. long before the TOTR it was said in the FAQ on the website and also pointed out by me. i even asked rainer he should ask over at NI if we can post a list (before the TOTR) and he did that.

18. DJ Freshfluke

that's not true and you know it. as long as the F1 is on the NI website it was stated in the FAQs as well as pointed out by me, at least a month ago.

19. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

How do i know it... i come on here everyday and yesterday was the first time i've heard about the remix decks only working with the F1 so it is true.... look at the hassle its causing and then tell me that NI would be happy with all this negative press from its loyal customer base.. why give the software to us if we can't use it.....?

i'm not having a go at you fluke but this is turning into a PR disaster for NI... especially when you've got DJTT slating the decision as well ... they probably feel a bit let down with the Midifighter 3d dropping this week..!..

20. DJ Freshfluke

the F1 FAQ is online for a month or so.

you still can use the software as it was PLUS you get some new features and improvements. just not all.

please note that the following is my complete personal opinion and not an NI statement or such. just what i was thinking when i read the DJTT article:
    i bet that's the only reason they put out such an article, ignoring the fact that not ALL features are "locked" or that you can use at least the mouse.
    plus that i'm not buying that they "just found out". they're trying to manipulate ppl and obviously they were good at it.